Lionsgate World Resort | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

Lionsgate World Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Thoughts on SkyPlex?

• I want it!

• I have concerns, but still want to see it built.

• I hate it!

• I don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think the one fair thing to impose would be to make the owners have an insurance policy so that if the construction stops or if it bankrupts there is a fund to demolish it. Cause at that point I would be piised if I was universal if there is a 600 foot rusting pole just waiting to be blown down by a hurricane.
I think that is usually done through bonding, and I would have to imagine that something like that would be in city or county building codes.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm not convinced Universal cares about Skyplex outside of sightline intrusion on the new land acquisition. And even then, Skyplex's approval basically gives Universal carte blanche to do whatever they want on that land
I've been thinking this too. I think it's was more of a lets at least try to stop it type of thing. Obviously they knew information about this land purchase was going to leak out. If they were truly interested in blocking Skyplex they could have leaked that information sooner and gotten a lot more support for their side.

It's crazy how people separate out Comcast and Universal. None of us are thinking this is a typical Universal tactic.

It's a very typical Comcast tactic though. They do what they can to root out competitors of all sizes. They might've applied this logic here for the same reason: Skyplex would be a competitor and they have the power to do something about it.

Reactions: IzzyB
I think the one fair thing to impose would be to make the owners have an insurance policy so that if the construction stops or if it bankrupts there is a fund to demolish it. Cause at that point I would be piised if I was universal if there is a 600 foot rusting pole just waiting to be blown down by a hurricane.
There are Hurricane code building standards in the state of Florida. Lightning is far more likely to bring this tower down than Hurricane winds.

The distance from this point of view to RRR will be about twice the distance from volcano bay and the proposed location. RRR is below 170 feet. Skyplex will be 600ft. While it may seem insignificant, it still is.

Universal Orlando is trying to avoid this from happening.

1404604098_harry-potter-castle-in-japan-big.jpg

That hotel is 452 feet.

If this thing gets built I dont want tax payer money to fund this project. I know they said that but they are business people. Orlando doesn't need a Marlins Stadium 2.0
Everything at Sea World and Universal is 200 ft or smaller because they both border residential zones. Hence why the "Orlando Thrill Park" never got life. Skyplex is near no resedential zones. County allowed for height to go higher along with other projects. Universal is and will not win a sightlines battle. Universals best bet is to join them or get over it.

Everything at Sea World and Universal is 200 ft or smaller because they both border residential zones. Hence why the "Orlando Thrill Park" never got life. Skyplex is near no resedential zones. County allowed for height to go higher along with other projects. Universal is and will not win a sightlines battle. Universals best bet is to join them or get over it.
The skytower at seaworld is 400ft.

Reactions: SeventyOne
The skytower at seaworld is 400ft.
To clarify information on the height limitations over SeaWorld and Universal, SeaWorld asked for a 200' height limit while Universal had one imposed on them by Orlando due to residential. SeaWorld did not have any residential near it when it was built and when they asked for the specific limit they were not a thrill park by purely a marine park, so the current owners saw no need for anything higher. The sky tower was grandfathered in because it had already been built by the time the height limit was proposed.

Reactions: anihilnation
Ummm, excuse me. You can clearly see the 250-300ft buildings of International Drive from the purple points on this map. 400+ ft from even further.
zfmRmNu.png
I would disagree. Those points you referenced are on interstates with no visual interruptions. Place yourself on the ground with all of those points and you can not see the buildings on international drive.

Ummm, excuse me. You can clearly see the 250-300ft buildings of International Drive from the purple points on this map. 400+ ft from even further.
zfmRmNu.png

While you can indeed see them from those points (and farther, as I've stated, I can see them from my area of US 27), the highways are typically raised well above the normal ground level. I can't see a single thing in the I-Drive area from any of those points from nearby parking lots when you're actually standing on the ground. Now, I may need to revisit since I've only been in a parking lot in the Crossroads area since the Eye has been built, but otherwise, you can't see a thing from ground level in those areas.

Florida is indeed one flat state!

Come out along US 27 some time. Your rental car gas tank will love you for it. Up, down, up, down. I can see various I-Drive hotels and landmarks from a few points along 27, but can't from our 2nd floor balcony like 2 football fields from the crest of a hill on 27 (admittedly a decent bit lower elevation than the crest the road intersects 27 at).

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
I would disagree. Those points you referenced are on interstates with no visual interruptions. Place yourself on the ground with all of those points and you can not see the buildings on international drive.

That's obvious. The point is the SkyPlex WILL be visible from Universal, that's a reason why they are concerned.

^^^^^^^^^
To the above post. Where did you get that from?

Let me bring out my creation again. "Mommy I want to go on that slide." Lol

Volcano%20Bay_zpsjhfhcstn.png

^ That's referencing everywhere that I can see the top of the Westgate Palace resort on Universal BLVD, the current tallest building in the immediate vicinity.

From the highway, or from a business parking lot in that immediate vicinity? There's a big difference in being able to see them from the highway (raised a fair bit above normal ground level with a clear path) and seeing it from the actual ground level like a parking lot or sidewalk. You can't see anything from the parking lot in Crossroads (that I've noticed, and I'm there fairly often), which is right next to I-4, however you can indeed see Potter from near the Fenton overpass, but those are two different elevations with very different surroundings.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
That's obvious. The point is the SkyPlex WILL be visible from Universal, that's a reason why they are concerned.

It's not obvious to those who dont know. Making a point about interstate and highway viewpoints from 5-7 miles away doesn't even come close to the same viewpoints one would and would not have at Universal.

And i dont see what Universals issue is. When they build the Volcano Bay there are going to literally be thousands of families who has to see that in their backyard to the west and southwest.