Lower Lot Redesign | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Lower Lot Redesign

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Do you guys think the Mummy will eventually be razed within the next 5 years? It opened 10 years ago now and the Mummy movie franchise has honestly never been that popular.  Although despite the fact that it replaced ET, it's still a good ride and it was certainly very popular when it first opened.  The Simpsons, Transformers, and Despicable Me have all been beating the wait times since though.
They are rebooting mummy again as part of their universal monsters I think...so its possible that it could go sometime. Every time I go, Mummy and JP are almost always walk-on rides for me...but it seems less people for the Mummy these days.

In an ideal world, I'd love to see it demolished and a better coaster/hybrid ride take its place that makes better use of the massive amount of space and to make the show building bigger. But I doubt that would happen.

So for now, I'll just cross my fingers for improved special effects and better ending, etc.

I do believe that Revenge of the Mummy will be removed in the near future.  Will the coaster stay and be a retheme?  I think Universal is beyond that now.  However, nothing says they can't make the building larger and build a new coaster.  All bets are off for this one!

Like, honestly, they could do SO much with that footprint. If they take a page out of Transformers' construction book and build up, it would be amazing. They can keep the length and width the same but build up to double it's size! Lots of possibilities.

They should redo the mummy ride building similar to the mummy returns chamber of doom and maybe put a scary haunted house type walk through in the que line

They should redo the mummy ride building similar to the mummy returns chamber of doom and maybe put a scary haunted house type walk through in the que line
Y tho. Seriously though, I'd love for a Mummy/Classic Monsters Dark Ride. Get ride of the Coaster portion...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be fine with either honestly. The setting of the Mummy would make a pretty darn good dark ride (as evident from the first half of RotM). But something classic Monsters related would be pretty awesome as well.

If they do convert RotM into a classic monster dark ride, they better not screen projections in it. I'm really sick of wearing 3D glasses.

I think it would be cool if they keep/have it all animatronics and real props. Wouldn't it be awesome to see Frankenstein's monster, Dracula, and other monster in physical form in front of you? If this happens I hope they can make it a realistic as possible. On less ride to pick up "safety googles" on.   

Reactions: Aaron and William
I wouldn't mind a mix of screens and actual sets/animatronics. But don't have the screens as the center of the experience. Somewhat like Disney did with Alice in Wonderland. 

Reactions: William
No matter what, Screens will be in a lot more dark rides in the future due to they are cheap to do and much more simpler.. I would love a Non-screen dark ride but with stuff like FJ, Kong, and others, it won't stop.

We've reached the time where almost every new theme park ride implements the use of projections/screens. Since it gives theme park goers a new sense of immersion, this technology isn't going anywhere.

I think it's inevitable that the next attraction after Potter will use screens of some sort.

Reactions: Aaron
I'm totally fine when it's done like Forbidden Journey (In fact, it's my favorite ride). And I don't hate projection screens, it's just that it's becoming to common. It would be nice to have a variety of different rides then just the standard glasses sorta 3D effect screen.

For the ride to rely on it for majority of the experience like Despicble Me, is something that hope not happens. If remains a dark ride coaster then I'm nearly positive it will be more sets/props then projection (like Indiana Jones, but more coaster-y). Maybe I'm complaining to much, it really does seem like theme park industry has taken a liking to screens and what nots. I just don't want it to be the only option when it comes to dark/indoor rides.

A ride like Despicable Me may technically be more high tech than Pirates of the Caribbean. But screens are more common tech than animatronics. Video screens are all around us in a daily lives. Animatronics are still a novelty, and thus seem more special.

Exactly. It's a shame, animatronics that take so much detail and imagination is replaced with simple screens and projections now and day. I just wish it didn't cost so much to operate and create otherwise we might of had more of them.   

If Fast and Furious: Supercharged and Escape from Gringotts are any indication it seems Universal, while still heavily relying on projections, is trying to mix up the formula by mixing in different technology. Whatever new rides may be planned in the future, I don't think it will be simple 4-D simulators. Here's hoping that they will upkeep their rides better though. Unlike a certain ride in the Lower lot that is in serious need of tlc.