Magic Kingdom Cabanas | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Magic Kingdom Cabanas

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This says more about Disney seeing what sticks and shows a lack of understanding of their product than anything else. Disney wants cruise ships and stores, they seem not to want to run theme parks.

We're definitely seeing a Disney company thats realized how expensive it is to keep theme parks fresh. Cruise ships and stores don't require a stream of constant capital injections. They just require a refurb every once in a while.

Obviously these Cabanas are a test. I assume the permanent Cabanas will be themed and look far nicer. I've always said that SeaWorld was decades ahead of the curve with Discovery Cove. I think Disney is starting to steal their ideas. Build a park, or a collection of experiences, that gives you a private, intimate, boutique experience if you're willing to pay.

I just hope that they don't have to gut the theme parks to bring that vision to life.

Reactions: tankart150
The $35 "Preferred Parking" was a test too, and it's still going...
That's because it's been successful. I hear from the most unexpected people that they used it and they thought it was a "great value" because they only had to pay $15 since they had an AP. If people are willing to throw money away, Disney will be glad to pick it up.

Reactions: DrakeParker
But that's part of the problem I see with Disney. Yes, it makes money and costs them practically nothing, but it's bad show and not what was intended. It dilutes the brand.

But, Disney seems to have no problem diluting their brands. They see no problem, though it's eventually going to kill the goose that has been laying golden eggs for so long.

But that's part of the problem I see with Disney. Yes, it makes money and costs them practically nothing, but it's bad show and not what was intended. It dilutes the brand.

But, Disney seems to have no problem diluting their brands. They see no problem, though it's eventually going to kill the goose that has been laying golden eggs for so long.
I completely agree. Although I don't think the Preferred Parking is bad show, the only thing they've done that really bothers me so far is the cabanas.

The charging areas at the rapunzel potties and the tent seating near dumbo are a response to guest complaints that there's no quiet place to take a break in the parks.

This seems to be the far end of that argument. There have also always been people who want accommodations inside the parks.

Regardless - are we 100% certain this isn't something for a film shoot to put a celeb into? Can the general public actually buy one of these things?

If Disney didn't intend these to be for "exclusive" people they wouldn't be charging $650 (more than their overpriced hotel rooms!). These are strictly for the wealthy folks.

I wonder if there is a "limit" to the amount of people that can use it. I could see these cabanas being great for large family reunions, you know those people that get t shirts made?

The "smart" idea would to put in hotel suites inside the park since they already had the cinderella suite and have people pay to stay in them and have them themed so they fit the landscape rather than ugly tents. Disney once again went to the cheap route.

If Disney didn't intend these to be for "exclusive" people they wouldn't be charging $650 (more than their overpriced hotel rooms!). These are strictly for the wealthy folks.

I wonder if there is a "limit" to the amount of people that can use it. I could see these cabanas being great for large family reunions, you know those people that get t shirts made?

That's the first smart, legitimate use I've heard for these Cabanas...

I saw someone wearing a lanyard that denoted they had access to these things. I was like "come over here so I can slap the stupid out of you!" Or at least give me some of that excess money that you obviously don't need.

I saw someone wearing a lanyard that denoted they had access to these things. I was like "come over here so I can slap the stupid out of you!" Or at least give me some of that excess money that you obviously don't need.
From what I understand some of the people testing this are CM's who are given the opportunity to try it for free.

From what I understand some of the people testing this are CM's who are given the opportunity to try it for free.

That seems strange. It seems like everybody using them would love the concept of it was free. The question is if the concept still works in relation to the price.

That seems strange. It seems like everybody using them would love the concept of it was free. The question is if the concept still works in relation to the price.
They do this all the time with new offerings. It gives them a chance to see any issues that could come up with it before paying guests use it.

They do this all the time with new offerings. It gives them a chance to see any issues that could come up with it before paying guests use it.
Also it's a good way to advertise them. People see someone with a lanyard, they are going to ask questions.

Something I raised on the show was what would Disney have to offer to make it seem $650 is worth it. Here's what I came up with:

Cabanas are permanent structures with parade and firework views and a patio on the hub. A/C, free Coke Freestyle, free snacks, discounted food (basically party platters of hot food for the group of 8), TVs including a TV channel to watch the stage shows around the park, did I mention A/C, and in park concierge service.

Reactions: Teebin
News had been broken a while now and Im still shaking myhead in disgust everytime I see this. There is a place for cabanas but come on Disney, not in the MK FFS.