MIB: Alien Attack Revamp? | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

MIB: Alien Attack Revamp?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Then they could fix it/learn from their mistakes. Our children deserve better.
Except ”our children” don’t care. Most parents aren’t plopping Timmy down with an iPad to watch MIB or Jaws. They’re not watching Mummy. Or Terminator. Or Back to the Future. They’re watching Trolls. They’re watching Transformers. They’re watching Fast and the Furious. Kids aren’t asking for Noisy Crickets and Neuralizers for Christmas; they’re asking for hot rods and magic wands.

Universal is keeping its parks relevant. People like to compare Disney and this regard, and you flat can’t. Magic Kingdom is based almost entirely on vanilla concepts, public domain stories, and cartoons. That gives everything they have an almost unending shelf life. Universal, conversely, is based entirely on live action films that have a shelf life of 15 to 25 years before it’s embarrassingly outdated (sometimes sooner).

And it’s such a mistake, Disney is starting to replace THEIR old, outdated stuff with... MORE MODERN IPS!

I completely get being upset that a favorite attraction is leaving. But it is inevitable. You might as well come to terms with it while you can.

Except ”our children” don’t care. Most parents aren’t plopping Timmy down with an iPad to watch MIB or Jaws. They’re not watching Mummy. Or Terminator. Or Back to the Future. They’re watching Trolls. They’re watching Transformers. They’re watching Fast and the Furious. Kids aren’t asking for Noisy Crickets and Neuralizers for Christmas; they’re asking for hot rods and magic wands.

Universal is keeping its parks relevant. People like to compare Disney and this regard, and you flat can’t. Magic Kingdom is based almost entirely on vanilla concepts, public domain stories, and cartoons. That gives everything they have an almost unending shelf life. Universal, conversely, is based entirely on live action films that have a shelf life of 15 to 25 years before it’s embarrassingly outdated (sometimes sooner).

And it’s such a mistake, Disney is starting to replace THEIR old, outdated stuff with... MORE MODERN IPS!

I completely get being upset that a favorite attraction is leaving. But it is inevitable. You might as well come to terms with it while you can.
There is one word missing from your post: Timeless.

Because Universal doesn’t view the IPs as timeless. In reality, they’re not timeless. It’s an irrelevant word.

That’s why it wasn’t in my post.
Many of the IPs Universal is using ARE in fact timeless, though.

Potter. Marvel. Seuss. Jurassic Park. Nintendo. Transformers. Simpsons. Classic Monsters.

All of those have more than stood the test of time. MIB has not.

Universal is full of relevant IPs
MK is the IP

A better comparison would be Disney's other non-MK parks, which are all facing a rough re-branding post-Potter

It's the parents who are booking the vacations but having something that can appeal to both is the real key and Universal seem to be doing a good job of that.

Disney has always managed to transcend generations with the rides themselves being the IP and having your first coaster experience being the same for multiple generations is a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I think Nintendo is going to be the next big thing that's going to connect kids and adults.

Reactions: Grits0808
I think it’s more-so that “Shooting Aliens” is the sell here. Like with SLOP in Hollywood, the sell is pets. Both of which, imo, are timeless with regards to a theme park attraction. Water world sure isn’t timeless, but it’s theme park stunt show is. Same with MIB.

The real reason I feel MIB is done is because of the ride system, which I 100% understand.

Sure the last film didn’t do great but again popular ride, aliens, shooter ride, that’s the sell here.

Reactions: Clive and Coolbfitz
Many of the IPs Universal is using ARE in fact timeless, though.

Potter. Marvel. Seuss. Jurassic Park. Nintendo. Transformers. Simpsons. Classic Monsters.

All of those have more than stood the test of time. MIB has not.

Transformers and Simpsons are not timeless. They're very much of their time: early 90s pop culture mutated and refreshed for the 21 century. Potter is leaning towards timelessness because of the books. I agree the other IPs are evergreen properties, but Transformers and Simpsons are not.

We often forget about IPs that have played a big role in shaping Universal as a company. Comcast certainly doesn't care about its history within the parks, but Classic Monsters, Alfred Hitchcock, and Jaws are timeless because of their attachment to cinematic history and advancing the company as a major player within the film industry.

Men In Black falls outside of these perimeters. It is a licensed property that is neither timeless nor important to Universal's history.

Reactions: Legacy
Men In Black May not be a timeless movie series, but the ride is the best shooter ride in the world.

Waterworld was a terrible movie, but the stunt show is considered the best. Timeless.

Peter Pan is totally politically incorrect and a super outdated ride system, but still considered timeless.

Many people have no idea what Twilight Zone is, or have never watched it..yet the Tower of Terror is timeless.

Sometimes the attraction itself is what is truly timeless.

The ride is great and probably my favorite at USF, but it’s getting hard to continue upkeep it seems. So that plays a huge role in removing it sooner or later.

I think any potential replacement of MIB got punted down the road a bit due to everything happening right now.

But as I've always said, basically assume every stand alone ride at Universal has a 20 year shelf life

Yep. Disney sees the value in basically rebuilding rides every 25-30 years because those key attractions are inherent to their brand. Universal does not work the same way - Hulk was really the first major exception.

With that said, I agree that conceptually, Men in Black, the ride, is timeless. But its infrastructure isn't going to last forever, and I just don't see them shelling out major $$$ to rebuild.

Men In Black May not be a timeless movie series, but the ride is the best shooter ride in the world.

Waterworld was a terrible movie, but the stunt show is considered the best. Timeless.

Peter Pan is totally politically incorrect and a super outdated ride system, but still considered timeless.

Many people have no idea what Twilight Zone is, or have never watched it..yet the Tower of Terror is timeless.

Sometimes the attraction itself is what is truly timeless.

I agree with you, but Comcast's history within the parks demonstrates a track record of replacing "classic" attractions with more relevant ones. Waterworld's another example of an excellent attraction that will be replaced with a more relevant one regardless of GSATs.

Men in Black isn't timeless, I'm sorry. IP or ride system. And even if it has the highest GSAT in the park, GSATs aren't the end-all-be-all for theme park development.

Do I think F&F will go there, no. But Kongfrontation and BTTF were getting long in the tooth when they went and MIB is headed down the same path, so I could see it going in the next 3-7 years depending on what kind of development curve they pursue post-COVID.

Yep. Disney sees the value in basically rebuilding rides every 25-30 years because those key attractions are inherent to their brand. Universal does not work the same way - Hulk was really the first major exception.

With that said, I agree that conceptually, Men in Black, the ride, is timeless. But its infrastructure isn't going to last forever, and I just don't see them shelling out major $$$ to rebuild.

An with the Hulk, you can also factor multiple important things that could've been why they put money into the major refurb. Case in point it's a outside IP they own theme park rights to indefinitely as long as it's upheld to Marvel's standards. A major refurb is certainly going to keep it running nicely and keep Marvel happy, thus upholding the all-important theme park rights.

For MIB, it's an outside IP which is not under the same special situation as Hulk/Marvel, and there's probably not going to be much of a ROI after putting in big money for a major refurb of the ride system and then some. Now replacing it with one of their own IP's which is also one of their biggest franchises at the moment? That can be far more beneficial.

Reactions: Clive
I adore this ride and it’s my favorite at the resort.

I just can’t see Universal getting rid of it when there’s so many viable plots in the resort that need more drastic work.

You’ve got FFL and KidZone which are large areas of land. Shrek if you need something smaller. Plus, isn’t there an expansion pad between MIB and Simpsons?

Then, over in IoA, you have both Toon Lagoon and Lost Continent.

It just feels strange for Universal to tear down a popular ride when there’s better things to tear down first.