Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

MIB: Alien Attack Revamp?

I don’t see Bourne opening in 2020 either, but that’s more of a cast thing, imo. The actors come in close contact of each other quite a bit and also need to rehearse again (and probably do TM previews again) before they can think of opening.

They can figure out audience distancing, though. Families sit with each other and then maybe skip two seats, leave a row empty (So people aren’t sitting directly in front or behind someone and then repeat). I assume they would implement Virtual Queuing for the show as well.
Who knows, if the WWE doesn’t mind all that contact Uni might not either :shrug:

- Revenge of the Mummy
- Men in Black: Alien Attack
- E.T. Adventure
- Horror Makeup Show

I obviously knew Universal Studios Florida had been getting dramatically less fun for me, and obviously it's all just my personal taste, but actually quantifying it in those terms is pretty striking. There’s just a lot less that I care about in that park anymore, and I fear that trend will continue and be magnified should Men in Black (and Revenge of the Mummy) end up being removed.

I had this same exact thought the other night, matches your post perfectly.

There are 4 attractions that I truly love and enjoy every time - Mummy, MIB, ET and Horror makeup. Plus I could spend hours in Diagon as an area.

There are 3 Attractions I enjoy to a degree, but once per trip is fine - Gringotts, Simpson’s (humor holds up), and HRR.

And the rest I can fully ignore - transformers (gives me a headache), Fallon, Shrek, Minions, FnF, Fear factor, + kidzone.

I get the need for shutting down old rides, but this is turning into a park I can almost fully ignore if Mummy and MIB don’t get amazing replacements. The track record for that is poor.

Now that EU is 2024, there is a bit of a new news gap in 2022/23. Would bet on SLOP over taking something other than Shrek down. I’m behind on VB news because I have zero interest in water parks, but maybe you plug the news gap with something new there too.

Once Universal became a true vacation destination and not just two more Orlando parks, they’re going to focus more on drawing people to the site as a whole and less on treating the parks as standalones.

I have to chuckle a little when I hear people say FnF is Universal's largest grossing IP. The way the "ride" is executed does not translate that well. You would they they would have want to "harry potter" it out since it's their biggest money maker right?

Fast and Furious is Universal's highest grossing IP. It would be weird for them not to bring it back.

Besides, some of you are missing the point. I don't think Universal wants to replaces MIB before Shrek and Kidzone, it's just a matter of cost. MIB is an outdated ride system that's based around an outdated IP. Most teenagers haven't seen MIB, and that's Universals target audience. You have a mega IP with a lackluster, critically panned attraction in the same park. Why not close it down and build a new ride for it?
Convert it to trackless :)

I have to chuckle a little when I hear people say FnF is Universal's largest grossing IP. The way the "ride" is executed does not translate that well. You would they they would have want to "harry potter" it out since it's their biggest money maker right?
You can chuckle but lookup the box office for Fast and Furious. Also Harry Potter is Warner Bros., not Universal Pictures. No one disagrees about the F&F ride not translating well, hence why we’re possibly getting this major expansion/ride with it.

Do you think FnF isn't one of Universals highest grossing IPs? Am I missing something you see?

You can chuckle but lookup the box office for Fast and Furious. Also Harry Potter is Warner Bros., not Universal Pictures. No one disagrees about the F&F ride not translating well, hence why we’re possibly getting this major expansion/ride with it.
When I say "harry potter" it out it has nothing to do with what movie studio brought forth the movie. I mean in terms of going all out. Like it seems they are "harry potter-ing" it out to the new coaster in JP. They are really going all out for it, from what it seems.

Do you think FnF isn't one of Universals highest grossing IPs? Am I missing something you see?
Totally misunderstood. I chuckle at what they presented for their highest grossing IP and thought that was acceptable. I don't follow movies so I had no idea it was the highest grossing. And I wouldn't be able to tell due to the attraction that came from the franchise.

When I say "harry potter" it out it has nothing to do with what movie studio brought forth the movie. I mean in terms of going all out. Like it seems they are "harry potter-ing" it out to the new coaster in JP. They are really going all out for it, from what it seems.

Totally misunderstood. I chuckle at what they presented for their highest grossing IP and thought that was acceptable. I don't follow movies so I had no idea it was the highest grossing. And I wouldn't be able to tell due to the attraction that came from the franchise.
That, is very true. But ya it’s a major franchise, which I also think is why there’s outrage towards this ride more than maybe some other mistakes the company or other parks have made in the past. It’s just glaring.

Many of the IPs Universal is using ARE in fact timeless, though.

Potter. Marvel. Seuss. Jurassic Park. Nintendo. Transformers. Simpsons. Classic Monsters.

All of those have more than stood the test of time. MIB has not.

IDK why, but it's slightly frustrating to me that all but two of those are not internal Universal properties.

It does of course highlight why MIB is a likely candidate for the chopping block--a licensed property that isn't wildly popular anymore, unlike the six you list. Therefore, easy opportunity to save licensing $$$.

The thing is though, if they're seriously committing to EU, are they going to be able to have the budget for replacements for MIB and Mummy after you-know-what? USF already has some striking parallels with Epcot, and I think those parallels are going to get even stronger in the coming years--as in, I think it's going to be the park that relies specifically on special events.

Last edited:
IDK why, but it's slightly frustrating to me that all but two of those are not internal Universal properties.

It does of course highlight why MIB is a likely candidate for the chopping block--a licensed property that isn't wildly popular anymore, unlike the six you list. Therefore, easy opportunity to save licensing $$$.

The thing is though, if they're seriously committing to EU, are they going to be able to have the budget for replacements for MIB and Mummy after you-know-what? USF already has some striking parallels with Epcot, and I think those parallels are going to get even stronger in the coming years--as in, I think it's going to be the park that relies specifically on special events.
You need to stop thinking about this stuff with such short timelines and defined budgets. Ride construction takes 3-4 years, typically, once a project is approved. There’s typically 12 months or so of work before actual construction starts in the park. Vendors and contracts have to get bids. Permits have to get filed. The budget is approved before all that starts and is assigned through that entire construction period and, unless something drastic happens that curtails income, the budget remains what it is.

Universal is capable of predicting revenue 12-36 months in advance. Any established, multi-million dollar corporation is. If something happens where they CAN’T predict that, it’s typically because of something drastic and far beyond their control. It’s a pandemic, or a recession, or some act of god.

Epcot suffered because Disney sat on its laurels. It was never actually a budget issue for them.

EU is opening 4 years from now. That’s a massive amount of time. Anything that could happen to Mummy or MiB will occur AFTER EU - Likely 6-9 years from now. That’s enough time for a full economic recovery and ANOTHER recession. Worrying about it is just futile.

EU is opening 4 years from now. That’s a massive amount of time. Anything that could happen to Mummy or MiB will occur AFTER EU - Likely 6-9 years from now. That’s enough time for a full economic recovery and ANOTHER recession. Worrying about it is just futile.
Ok cool, I was hoping we could get in at least a few more recessions before Epic Universe opens

Also, MIB and Mummy have undergone maintenance and continue to. 6 - 9 years means they'll have to keep things running

Anything that could happen to Mummy or MiB will occur AFTER EU - Likely 6-9 years from now.

While I'm happy to hear that the replacement of either of my two favorite rides in the park is likely that far away, hopefully that doesn't also mean there won't be any significant new projects in USF until that timeframe. That's a long time for the park to remain as-is.

While I'm happy to hear that the replacement of either of my two favorite rides in the park is likely that far away, hopefully that doesn't also mean there won't be any significant new projects in USF until that timeframe. That's a long time for the park to remain as-is.

It's possible in a post-COVID world. Let's also not forget that USF got A LOT of love the past 10 years - adding Diagon, Fallon, F&F, Transformers, Minion Mayhem, Cinematic Celebration, Springfield, and eventually Bourne. Regardless of quality, that's still a lot of investment into 1 park.

It's possible in a post-COVID world. Let's also not forget that USF got A LOT of love the past 10 years - adding Diagon, Fallon, F&F, Transformers, Minion Mayhem, Cinematic Celebration, Springfield, and eventually Bourne. Regardless of quality, that's still a lot of investment into 1 park.
Don't leave out the love MiB has had in the last few years they repaired effects I had not seen in a long time

Ok, how about they replace MiB/FFL with that new duel powered coaster from Dynamic Attractions and call it something like Calvin & Hobbs: Tokyo Drift.

Then turn all of San Francisco into London and retheme F&F:S into an American Werewolf in London psycho-thriller very dark ride. The queue could be quite fun with a few cool AAs (Jack and maybe a werewolf or 2). Now all it needs is someplace to get a piná colada.

Last edited: