Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

MIB: Alien Attack Revamp?

I adore this ride and it’s my favorite at the resort.

I just can’t see Universal getting rid of it when there’s so many viable plots in the resort that need more drastic work.

You’ve got FFL and KidZone which are large areas of land. Shrek if you need something smaller. Plus, isn’t there an expansion pad between MIB and Simpsons?

Then, over in IoA, you have both Toon Lagoon and Lost Continent.

It just feels strange for Universal to tear down a popular ride when there’s better things to tear down first.

Just look at their history of replacing attractions and you'll see why there's an argument for MIB eventually leaving.

Just look at their history of replacing attractions and you'll see why there's an argument for MIB eventually leaving.
Oh, I completely agree that it’s going to leave at some point. Even with an aging ride system, it feels weird that this would go before Universal updates some of the more urgent areas

Oh, I completely agree that it’s going to leave at some point. Even with an aging ride system, it feels weird that this would go before Universal updates some of the more urgent areas
Honestly I'd rather see Shrek replaced and Mummy re-tracked before MIB closes

However, MIB is starting to show its age....And, unlike other rides, if the tech doesn't work then the ride is essentially unridable

It's weird to think we may already be really far into the twilight years of a ton of beloved attractions and not even know it. For as long as I can remember, MiB and Mummy have been must-dos whenever I'm in Studios. I get why it must be done, but it'll be a little strange not having them around.
I was thinking back to when I first attended HHN with my family in 2001....Studios is completely different

It's weird to think we may already be really far into the twilight years of a ton of beloved attractions and not even know it. For as long as I can remember, MiB and Mummy have been must-dos whenever I'm in Studios. I get why it must be done, but it'll be a little strange not having them around.
I was thinking back to when I first attended HHN with my family in 2001....Studios is completely different

Go with me for a minute, because this will circle back around to the subject of this thread.

As a thought experiment, the other day, I started listing off all the attractions from my first visit in 1993 that, if you pulled me aside as I was leaving the park and asked me, I would have said I thought were absolutely great. And then what my answers would be in the first years of the following decades.

- The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera
- Alfred Hitchcock: The Art of Making Movies
- Ghostbuster Spooktacular
- Kongfrontation
- Earthquake
- Jaws
- Back to the Future
- E.T. Adventure
- Horror Makeup Show

So that’s 9.

Jump to 2000
- Twister
- Kongfrontation
- Earthquake
- Jaws
- Men in Black: Alien Attack
- Back to the Future
- E.T. Adventure
- Horror Makeup Show
- Terminator 2-3D

11. For me, the park at its peak.

- Twister
- Revenge of the Mummy
- Disaster
- Jaws
- E.T. Adventure
- Horror Makeup Show
- Terminator 2-3D

8. Still hanging in there.

- Revenge of the Mummy
- E.T. Adventure
- Horror Makeup Show

I obviously knew Universal Studios Florida had been getting dramatically less fun for me, and obviously it's all just my personal taste, but actually quantifying it in those terms is pretty striking. There’s just a lot less that I care about in that park anymore, and I fear that trend will continue and be magnified should Men in Black (and Revenge of the Mummy) end up being removed.

The most bafflling thing for me is that after all of this people still want Rip Ride Rocket to go next. Like I get that it ain't perfect, but gimme someone to do at Studios! It can't all be screen rides. :lol:

I'm just interested to see what they can do with all this space. Depending on when they do this, do we think they would bring down Simpsons with it and split their area between the Kidzone Replacement and this new ride/land? That would probably give both a lot more room to breathe, and if this ends up occuring closer to 2025-28, that's pretty close to the licensing cutoff.

The most bafflling thing for me is that after all of this people still want Rip Ride Rocket to go next. Like I get that it ain't perfect, but gimme someone to do at Studios! It can't all be screen rides. :lol:

I'm just interested to see what they can do with all this space. Depending on when they do this, do we think they would bring down Simpsons with it and split their area between the Kidzone Replacement and this new ride/land? That would probably give both a lot more room to breathe, and if this ends up occuring closer to 2025-28, that's pretty close to the licensing cutoff.
I mean, I want it to go...But for an Intamin hyper haha

I will argue that if Universal got some kind of hyper coaster or air time machine it would be blessed.

Go with me for a minute, because this will circle back around to the subject of this thread.

As a thought experiment, the other day, I started listing off all the attractions from my first visit in 1993 that, if you pulled me aside as I was leaving the park and asked me, I would have said I thought were absolutely great. And then what my answers would be in the first years of the following decades.

- Ghostbuster Spooktacular
- Kongfrontation
- Earthquake
- Jaws
- Back to the Future
- E.T. Adventure
- Horror Makeup Show

So that’s 9.

Jump to 2000
- Twister
- Kongfrontation
- Earthquake
- Jaws
- Back to the Future
- E.T. Adventure
- Horror Makeup Show
- Terminator 2-3D

11. For me, the park at its peak.

- Twister
- Revenge of the Mummy
- Disaster
- Jaws
- E.T. Adventure
- Horror Makeup Show
- Terminator 2-3D

8. Still hanging in there.

- Revenge of the Mummy
- E.T. Adventure
- Horror Makeup Show

I obviously knew Universal Studios Florida had been getting dramatically less fun for me, and obviously it's all just my personal taste, but actually quantifying it in those terms is pretty striking. There’s just a lot less that I care about in that park anymore, and I fear that trend will continue and be magnified should Men in Black (and Revenge of the Mummy) end up being removed.
I think a few factors are at play here
1) Constant change of hands and owners making decisions
2) Slashed budgets
3) A loss of identity in the mid 2000's when the studio-type park aesthetic died off (Ironically, IOA was a huge reason for this)
4) Trying to stay hip and relevant to attract (they still do this, but they had no Potter anchor at the time)
5) Hellish upkeep and overhead for attractions that just weren't pulling in the crowds anymore

I think the 2020's will be completely different in terms of focus for Universal as a company.

I know they took KONG out then later brought it back but to take out F&F and bring it back seems kinda absurd.

Fast and Furious is Universal's highest grossing IP. It would be weird for them not to bring it back.

Besides, some of you are missing the point. I don't think Universal wants to replaces MIB before Shrek and Kidzone, it's just a matter of cost. MIB is an outdated ride system that's based around an outdated IP. Most teenagers haven't seen MIB, and that's Universals target audience. You have a mega IP with a lackluster, critically panned attraction in the same park. Why not close it down and build a new ride for it?

Wait if it fnf replaced MIB and fear factor would world expo turn into a FNF land? if it’s their highest grossing franchise it only makes sense (though i thought jurassic had that honor?)

Many people have no idea what Twilight Zone is, or have never watched it..yet the Tower of Terror is timeless.
i’m sorry, no. i get what you’re trying to say, but twilight zone helped popularize horror and sci-fi in american culture. sure, young kids wouldn’t know it, but teens would most likely know about the 2019 reboot that just started promoting its second season. anyone older would at least be familiar with nightmare at 20,000 feet, eye of the beholder, living doll, or even the tragedy on the set of the film.

i’m sorry, no. i get what you’re trying to say, but twilight zone helped popularize horror and sci-fi in american culture. sure, young kids wouldn’t know it, but teens would most likely know about the 2019 reboot that just started promoting its second season. anyone older would at least be familiar with nightmare at 20,000 feet, eye of the beholder, living doll, or even the tragedy on the set of the film.
I disagree. as the resident teen, i knew TOT loooong before the twilight zone and know fully what MIB is (and enjoy the movie)

Last edited:
I think USF is going to be needing something new before EU opens.
SLOP is my guess, and Bourne I don’t see opening in 2020, so I’d almost guess that’s a 2021 thing. SlOP could be the year after, MIB closes in 2021 and 2023 opening for F&F?

I’d like to think that a kidzone replacement would come the year after EU, and Kidzone closes once SLOP opens to give them time for it. This is my dream timeline

SLOP is my guess, and Bourne I don’t see opening in 2020, so I’d almost guess that’s a 2021 thing. SlOP could be the year after, MIB closes in 2021 and 2023 opening for F&F?

I’d like to think that a kidzone replacement would come the year after EU, and Kidzone closes once SLOP opens to give them time for it. This is my dream timeline
I don’t see Bourne opening in 2020 either, but that’s more of a cast thing, imo. The actors come in close contact of each other quite a bit and also need to rehearse again (and probably do TM previews again) before they can think of opening.

They can figure out audience distancing, though. Families sit with each other and then maybe skip two seats, leave a row empty (So people aren’t sitting directly in front or behind someone and then repeat). I assume they would implement Virtual Queuing for the show as well.