MIB: Alien Attack Revamp? | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

MIB: Alien Attack Revamp?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think some folks are forgetting that the manufacture of MIB's ride system (as well as Cat in the Hat for the matter) no longer exists. That never bodes well in the long run, since that's not gonna' be a cheap replacement like a new projector/animations like the Mummy got. Unless they feel it's worth putting that kind of money into replacing a major component for a big ride, MIB's days are numbered when EU rolls back around.

Yes, the Hulk did get the money for that kind of replacement. But, and this is a huge -BUT-, the Hulk is part of a very important Marvel contract which Uni wants to keep. Keeping that ride in good shape keeps Marvel happy, which in turn allows Uni to keep that contract. MIB is not part of that, so if Uni feels it's run it's course and need the space for something new, it's pretty valuable real estate right there.

I think some folks are forgetting that the manufacture of MIB's ride system (as well as Cat in the Hat for the matter) no longer exists. That never bodes well in the long run, since that's not gonna' be a cheap replacement like a new projector/animations like the Mummy got. Unless they feel it's worth putting that kind of money into replacing a major component for a big ride, MIB's days are numbered when EU rolls back around.

Yes, the Hulk did get the money for that kind of replacement. But, and this is a huge -BUT-, the Hulk is part of a very important Marvel contract which Uni wants to keep. Keeping that ride in good shape keeps Marvel happy, which in turn allows Uni to keep that contract. MIB is not part of that, so if Uni feels it's run it's course and need the space for something new, it's pretty valuable real estate right there.
I just don't get why they'd want to replace MIB, a ride that's still well-liked, when there's tons of land just begging to be replaced with something bigger and better (*cough*KIDZONE*cough).

I just don't get why they'd want to replace MIB, a ride that's still well-liked, when there's tons of land just begging to be replaced with something bigger and better (*cough*KIDZONE*cough).
This is easily one of my top five rides in the resort

That being said, maintenance costs are a real thing, and the ride vehicles no longer being supported by the manufacturer means the upkeep is much more expensive

The building could work pretty easily as a box setting for a new ride if the so choose, much like the Kong to Mummy switch

Kidzone requires a lot more work as they would probably have to build from the ground up

I think they have bigger fish to fry or try to act on, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it didn’t last past the 20’s

I would guess the covid situation has actually extended the lives of some of the USF attractions that were on the near future replacement schedule. Additions to USF
will probably be slowed for a few years from what they would have been if there wasn't a business downturn due to covid.
Another reason they really screwed themselves over with the promise of a new ride every year, since COVID is gonna make that a bigger challenge next year.

Another reason they really screwed themselves over with the promise of a new ride every year, since COVID is gonna make that a bigger challenge next year.
I would guess that claim was out the window whenever they decided to build Epic. Even without covid, I doubt they would have been continuing that. And even before, there were exceptions...ie. the year after Diagon opened.

Pretty sure it was only a 5-year plan, and ended a few years ago. I’m sure they’d still want to keep opening something new every year, but it’s no longer promised.

This is easily one of my top five rides in the resort

That being said, maintenance costs are a real thing, and the ride vehicles no longer being supported by the manufacturer means the upkeep is much more expensive

The building could work pretty easily as a box setting for a new ride if the so choose, much like the Kong to Mummy switch

Kidzone requires a lot more work as they would probably have to build from the ground up

I think they have bigger fish to fry or try to act on, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it didn’t last past the 20’s

If they're absolutely committed to EU in most of its current form, my guess is that MIB and Mummy will close a few months after EU finally opens, like how they closed a bunch of stuff right after VB opened. Of course, that will give me very little reason to want to go to USF.

And as much as I hate to say it, EU could take away from my desire to go to Islands too. Monsters could make Forbidden Journey obsolete. The racing coasters could make Velocicoaster obsolete. Even the HTTYD coaster could make Hagrid's somewhat obsolete. But until that happens I'll continue to savor what we have in Studios and Islands, and when/if it does, we could have maybe the best park ever in EU. So, win-win in a way.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Spooky Isle
If they're absolutely committed to EU in most of its current form, my guess is that MIB and Mummy will close a few months after EU finally opens, like how they closed a bunch of stuff right after VB opened. Of course, that will give me very little reason to want to go to USF.

And as much as I hate to say it, EU could take away from my desire to go to Islands too. Monsters could make Forbidden Journey obsolete. The racing coasters could make Velocicoaster obsolete. Even the HTTYD coaster could make Hagrid's somewhat obsolete. But until that happens I'll continue to savor what we have in Studios and Islands, and when/if it does, we could have maybe the best park ever in EU. So, win-win in a way.
They’re not closing Mummy and MiB concurrently. They’ll replace one (likely MiB) then the other. Closing the two most popular rides in the park at the same time like that would be monumentally stupid.

They’re not closing Mummy and MiB concurrently. They’ll replace one (likely MiB) then the other. Closing the two most popular rides in the park at the same time like that would be monumentally stupid.

That's good to hear. I would've thought Gringott's, Fallon, Simpsons, Minions, and Transformers were all more popular.

I don’t really think any of the attractions that are sort of similar will take away from the other, personally

For instance, the simulation of speed on Transformers makes it feel wholly different from Spider-Man

As well, if the rides come through on the tech, I don’t think Monsters will feel like Forbidden Journey.

I don’t really equate Hagrid to Mummy at the moment even though they perform similar tricks because they FEEL so different.

It will be interesting to learn more about that EU coaster as I somehow imagine it won’t feel like Velocicoaster as the artwork makes it look more spread out like an air machine to me.
I wish we had some way of knowing these numbers as I constantly hear the term “popular on surveys” but I don’t even know which ones are really surveying that well.

Heck, I would like to know what surveys poorly

I also agree with your assessment of them keeping those two open for a bit. My reasoning is that they are among the few practical attractions at the Studios so I cannot see them both going away at the same time

Reactions: RevFreako