Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

MIB: Alien Attack Revamp?

Ok, how about they replace MiB/FFL with that new duel powered coaster from Dynamic Attractions and call it something like Calvin & Hobbs: Tokyo Drift.

Then turn all of San Francisco into London and retheme F&F:S into an American Werewolf in London psycho-thriller very dark ride. The queue could be quite fun with a few cool AAs (Jack and mayne a werewolf). Now all it needs is someplace to get a piná colada.
I feel like you meant Hobbs and Shaw, but I am down for a Calvin and Hobbes modern day duel coaster that takes place in Tokyo

Ok, how about they replace MiB/FFL with that new duel powered coaster from Dynamic Attractions and call it something like Calvin & Hobbs: Tokyo Drift.

Then turn all of San Francisco into London and retheme F&F:S into an American Werewolf in London psycho-thriller very dark ride. The queue could be quite fun with a few cool AAs (Jack and maybe a werewolf or 2). Now all it needs is someplace to get a piná colada.
I like the MIB idea

The only thing I see debuting between now and EU would be SLOP. We're looking at another 2012-2014 type transformation of USF sometime in the later part of the decade.

Revenge of the Mummy is still a very good and popular attraction, no need to spend money on it when other areas would need investment before it. After EU, Universal is looking at Fast and Furious (if they don't do anything before), which would be about 7 years old, Shrek 4D, and more importantly the Simpsons contract.

The only thing I see debuting between now and EU would be SLOP. We're looking at another 2012-2014 type transformation of USF sometime in the later part of the decade.

Revenge of the Mummy is still a very good and popular attraction, no need to spend money on it when other areas would need investment before it. After EU, Universal is looking at Fast and Furious (if they don't do anything before), which would be about 7 years old, Shrek 4D, and more importantly the Simpsons contract.
MIB, Simpsons, and Shrek will have to be updated eventually for sure

I think sooner rather than later...

MIB, Simpsons, and Shrek will have to be updated eventually for sure

I think sooner rather than later...

I agree that those three will eventually be replaced, but MIB still has legs to last a bit longer. Simpsons is not in great condition, but I doubt Universal pulls the plug before the contract expires. Shrek is the only thing I see being replaced in the next 5 years.

I agree that those three will eventually be replaced, but MIB still has legs to last a bit longer. Simpsons is not in great condition, but I doubt Universal pulls the plug before the contract expires. Shrek is the only thing I see being replaced in the next 5 years.
This is what I see as well. Shrek gone for SLOP sometime before EU. MIB or Mummy is first project post EU for 2026 opening most likely, which probably means a 2024 closure for one of these rides.

I feel Kidzone will be dealt with once Simpson’s opens up more space in that area.

Id get rid of MIB first if I were Universal, and if they truly are going to be F&F there, that now opens up SF for a re-do to London expansion, which for universal means something new for Potter which brings in $$$$. After all that, THEN mummy and/or kidzone.

I think it’s very possibly Kidzone isn’t replaced until closer to 2030

This is what I see as well. Shrek gone for SLOP sometime before EU. MIB or Mummy is first project post EU for 2026 opening most likely, which probably means a 2024 closure for one of these rides.

I feel Kidzone will be dealt with once Simpson’s opens up more space in that area.

Id get rid of MIB first if I were Universal, and if they truly are going to be F&F there, that now opens up SF for a re-do to London expansion, which for universal means something new for Potter which brings in $$$$. After all that, THEN mummy and/or kidzone.

I think it’s very possibly Kidzone isn’t replaced until closer to 2030

Mummy ain't going anywhere. It is a part of what I call the "Universal Bermuda Triangle" - the three things people (general public) always talk about as highlights from Universal, which include the Mummy, Potter overall and the Hulk. With Potter heading over to EU, no need to add another Potter attraction into USF.

And I don't think Universal would touch MIB unless Shrek, F&F, KidZone, and Simpsons are dealt with first.

Mummy ain't going anywhere. It is a part of what I call the "Universal Bermuda Triangle" - the three things people (general public) always talk about as highlights from Universal, which include the Mummy, Potter overall and the Hulk. With Potter heading over to EU, no need to add another Potter attraction into USF.

And I don't think Universal would touch MIB unless Shrek, F&F, KidZone, and Simpsons are dealt with first.
Others know more about this but, Mummy and MIB have old ride systems and gigantic space for expansion/a new ride, so idk. As Legacy said 6-9 years I mean plenty of time for them to be open most likely.

Also I wouldn’t doubt them in adding one more attraction to Diagon. If F&F ends up taking over FFL and MIB, then the only building that could work would be the Fast and Furious one

Others know more about this but, Mummy and MIB have old ride systems and gigantic space for expansion/a new ride, so idk. As Legacy said 6-9 years I mean plenty of time for them to be open most likely.

Also I wouldn’t doubt them in adding one more attraction to Diagon. If F&F ends up taking over FFL and MIB, then the only building that could work would be the Fast and Furious one

Mummy is not that old of a ride system, it still operates efficiently and is surprisingly smooth even after all these years. And London ain't getting an expansion, as what was an expansion is already going into EU. The Knight Bus attraction, and theoretical expansion of London into San Francisco is nothing but a blue sky concept.

Men In Black's ride system is old but it's nowhere near a state of disrepair that would warrant an immediate replacement.

It's possible in a post-COVID world. Let's also not forget that USF got A LOT of love the past 10 years - adding Diagon, Fallon, F&F, Transformers, Minion Mayhem, Cinematic Celebration, Springfield, and eventually Bourne. Regardless of quality, that's still a lot of investment into 1 park.

Oh, I'm extremely aware of what's been done in USF over the last 10 years. I recognize they've spent a lot of money there.

Purely from a personal enjoyment standpoint, I think the park still needs work to improve the variety of its attraction offerings.

I’d totally expect a copy of the Dreamworks theatre at USH for a cheap fix to the Shrek problem. Secret Life Of Pets makes so much sense too. That, along with revamps for MIB & Mummy. A new show to replace fear factor and we have a nicely refreshed park for a relatively low price. Enough to take it through to the later part of the decade where hey can FINALLY replace Kidzone, rip out and replace RR & F&F

How much would it actually cost to replace only the ride system for MIB? The only purchase is the tech and the RV. The ride itself wouldn't need its AAs or facades invested in.

Considering Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin at SeaWorld was one of the first uses of the tech and the whole land, including the restaurant, facades, habitat, queue, and the ride itself, cost about 40 million USD, wouldn't a MIB refresh be maybe 15 mil USD max and possibly as little as 8 mil USD? That is honestly next to nothing with the budgets Universal normally deals with.

How much would it actually cost to replace only the ride system for MIB? The only purchase is the tech and the RV. The ride itself wouldn't need its AAs or facades invested in.

Considering Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin at SeaWorld was one of the first uses of the tech and the whole land, including the restaurant, facades, habitat, queue, and the ride itself, cost about 40 million USD, wouldn't a MIB refresh be maybe 15 mil USD max and possibly as little as 8 mil USD? That is honestly next to nothing with the budgets Universal normally deals with.
I think this would make sense if MIB was still as lucrative as it was.

Pure cost/benefit analysis

We either keep it running for now, or rebuild it and replace it in five years

Obviously the choice of keeping it running is the better option financially

I think this would make sense if MIB was still as lucrative as it was.

Pure cost/benefit analysis

We either keep it running for now, or rebuild it and replace it in five years

Obviously the choice of keeping it running is the better option financially
I wonder how lucrative it is. As in, I wonder what its GSATs, store revenue, and hourly ridership is. It would give a good idea of how popular it actually still is. I believe it only appears to not be popular because it has one of the highest capacities at the UOR. It is definitely no Kong, but I think its popularity might be higher then we might expect.

Definitely not 8-10, as Antarctica is a very small ride building and requires less vehicles. MIB would require far more vehicles, not too mention a revamp of the ride's gaming system. But it would be far more economical than a complete replacement of it.

I wonder how lucrative it is. As in, I wonder what its GSATs, store revenue, and hourly ridership is. It would give a good idea of how popular it actually still is. I believe it only appears to not be popular because it has one of the highest capacities at the UOR. It is definitely no Kong, but I think its popularity might be higher then we might expect.
They attempted the "revamp" concept with Earthquake > Disaster and that didn't return any results...and it took up less land.

MIB is an aging property relevancy wise, and it has a huge show building

I'm sure there is a good reason why there is a generic comic book shop in the exit gift shop

I do want to preface a bit, as these things can become "wHy dO YoU HaTE MiB" real fast....

I am in no way saying that MIB is in immenent danger of being replaced, or a bad ride, or even not highly rated.

It has been made clear that Universal is considering it down the line for replacement. The infrastructure is also aging rapidly and that's never been a good sign based on Universal's history.

But I bet it's a while out.

I dont think MIB is going anyway, but based off of the new movies reception, I wouldn't see the old version being replaced with the new movie. However I wouldn't mind seeing the new version (clips and such), being a seasonal overlay. I think logistically that could work.

I feel like you meant Hobbs and Shaw, but I am down for a Calvin and Hobbes modern day duel coaster that takes place in Tokyo

Watterson will never allow it so entirely hypothetical on my part but I'd be down for a C&H animated movie IF AND ONLY IF they put a lot of TLC into it.