Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Did I miss something or has this been confirmed as Monsters Inc? Or could it be a different movie?

It's definitely Monsters, Inc. themed. It's definitely themed to the door chase scene from the movie, and it is definitely a Vekoma coaster (sorry Mauer Shone fanboys!)

Unfortunately, it is also definitely on indefinite hold right now. For the record though, there's a very big difference between hold and canceled. If they didn't want to go through with the plans, it would NOT be called "on hold."

A well connected Spirit from some of the Disney boards is claiming the the Monsters, Inc. Coaster is NOW completely dead. All the available cash WDW has is being funneled into the MK Fl redo.
They made their own bed. They haven't added a major attraction to the MK in a generation. Now they realize that the MK is a titch stale.
DHS will still be getting ST 2.0 and Epcot will get a few minor additions. But other then the MK Fl redo WDW is not going to be getting much.

A well connected Spirit from some of the Disney boards is claiming the the Monsters, Inc. Coaster is NOW completely dead. All the available cash WDW has is being funneled into the MK Fl redo.
They made their own bed. They haven't added a major attraction to the MK in a generation. Now they realize that the MK is a titch stale.
DHS will still be getting ST 2.0 and Epcot will get a few minor additions. But other then the MK Fl redo WDW is not going to be getting much.

My info came directly from Vekoma as recently as last week. I don't know that I'm ready to believe it's *completely* dead, but anything can happen on a moments notice in this industry - especially at Disney.

Like I said all along - I've been told that the FL budget has always been locked, and given that the plans are currently *less* ambitious than they originally were. Again, not saying you're wrong. It is what it is in this business.

I've heard the same info from a source of mine as well that the coaster is dead.

Not trying to turn this into a pissing contest, but like I said - my info came straight from Vekoma, not a Disney fanboy site. No disrespect meant to either of the two of you, because I wouldn't describe you in that sense - but I think you see my point.

Why? If I want to ride a rough coaster, I'd ride a woodie. If I want a smooth coaster, I ride steel. Vekoma has always made rougher coasters. Everest is one of the very few exceptions. The way it sounded like they were designing this sounded like the Reptar coaster at King's Dominion or Swamp Thing at Wild Adventures. Small, rough, boring.

Why? If I want to ride a rough coaster, I'd ride a woodie. If I want a smooth coaster, I ride steel. Vekoma has always made rougher coasters. Everest is one of the very few exceptions. The way it sounded like they were designing this sounded like the Reptar coaster at King's Dominion or Swamp Thing at Wild Adventures. Small, rough, boring.

Let me preface this by saying I really do enjoy your posts - however, that is a very ignorant comment to make. Not all wooden coasters are rough. Not all steel coasters are smooth. I've been on steel coasters *far rougher* than any wooden ones out there. Vekoma has not *always* made rough coasters. Vekoma coasters are as rough as the parks maintain them to be. If you get a park that buys a Vekoma because it is a cheaper investment than say B&M, and then never maintains it, it's definitely going ot get rough.

The other somewhat ignorant comment here is that clearly you aren't up on what the company has been doing the past few years. They've completely changed their fleet of trains, and more importantly, completely changed their restraint types. A comment made to me straight from Vekoma - "We realize we've had our share of headbangers in the past, which is why we've worked very hard to reinvent ourselves of late."

Expedition Everest is not "one of the very few exceptions"... Expedition Everest is something far more important than that. It's the first of a new track type and train design from Vekoma. Expedition Everest is not the first; it's the beginning.

Don't be so negative. Vekoma may not be perfect, but at least their rides work. And case in point here, if it WEREN'T for Vekoma, Disney wouldn't have most of the new rides its gotten over the past decade or so.

No prob. I am SO pumped for this, and im even ascared of coasters.

Well the thing is if it ever even still happens, it's a long way off. Other well placed sources on here have heard it has since been canceled. Even my best news from inside Vekoma has it on "indefinite hold" which in itself isn't very positive.

Concept art looks fun. It actually had animatronics :thumbs:

Hoping that this comes. We can always use some more coasters in Disney. Is this ride supposed to have inversions? I really do not know much about the ride. And although steel, Vekoma did RNRC which I find to be a really smooth ride. A little short, but for Disney's first looping coaster it does what it needs to do.

Nope, no inversions. It is actually a kiddie coaster similar to Goofy's only suspended. It is rumored to utilize this ride system. Which, as Ryan points out, is an amazingly rough ride for being such a small coaster.

reptar6.jpg

Last edited:
I think the attraction will be a little more advanced than your standard Runaway Reptar. I imagine its going to be more along the lines of Kvasten at Grona Lund... which I've heard great things about :).

The concept you saw pretty much confirmed it was a Dark Coaster then?

I already knew that, but yes, it's an indoor coaster through show-scenes.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Nope, no inversions. It is actually a kiddie coaster similar to Goofy's only suspended. It is rumored to utilize this ride system. Which, as Ryan points out, is an amazingly rough ride for being such a small coaster.

And again - they have completely redesigned the restraint system on the ride since the versions cited have opened. It's *completely not fair* to pass judgement on the ride system without at least having that basic knowledge and understanding of it.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

I think the attraction will be a little more advanced than your standard Runaway Reptar. I imagine its going to be more along the lines of Kvasten at Grona Lund... which I've heard great things about :).

If what you mean is it would be a custom layout, then yes that is correct.