NBA City Closed | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

NBA City Closed

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, playing devil's advocate, so it's in Times Square. It's pretty damn easy to get lost in the shuffle there. It's a lot easier to get recognized or for people to think of you as an option at CityWalk where you only have so many food options.

The location was in the heart of Times Square, with a giant billboard above the place, and lots of marketing. Hell, The Rock was even at the grand opening to create buzz. I don't think they got lost in the shuffle. It would have been an easy win, but it wasn't. If it's not going to work in the tourist central of NYC, at the height of it's popularity, it's not going to work now.

Last edited:
Call WWE niche if you want, and sure its ratings are slipping, but Raw is still pretty much a permanent fixture in the cable top 5 week in and out. Eliminate the finals, it's probably ahead of the NBA, and certainly ahead of NHL and MLS on a nation-wide basis. Truth is, everything but the NFL is niche [in the US, calm down soccereheads].

Back when Front Row was open, they would draw a nice crowd for PPVs. If (big if I grant you) WWE can do the same and make Raw into a weekly event, that's 64 nights a year they're covered. Throw in 20 for football and maybe March Madness/NBA finals because out-of-towners in the parks don't care where they watch the game, you're at the same popularity as any other sports bar. Except a decent percentage of kids still want to come in during the day.

Finally, I'm sure there will be a gift shop that will make decent money off the WWE merch machine.

You may not like the product--I haven't watched it in years--but there's little doubt in my mind targeting the limited percentage of Universal fans who are into the WWE is not a bad bet. I think it has a much better shot at survival than NBA Sports Grill Brew, which also has a limited target market but far more competition in the immediate area.

Reactions: RevFreako
As much as I do NOT want it, I honestly think the Cheesecake Factory is about the only viable thing ever proposed for it.

CF sort of the Coldstone Creamery/Starbucks of nice restaurants. Sure it's a chain, but everything they do is quality, and most people still think of it as a treat. I could see it fitting in at CW better than any other comparable chain. Though I would also prefer something more unique.

I think the Jekyll & Hyde Club, done right, could work. But the creators botched the NYC version, so little faith they'd get version 2.0 right. I've got nothing after that--proximity to Sand Lake Road and location by a roller coaster probably precludes anything too high-end. Yet that space too huge to go too low-end (say, quick serve).

Years ago (many, many, many years ago) there was a huge billboard in front of the DHS entrance announcing a unique David Copperfield restaurant with lots of magic inside. Like Potter that went no where with Disney but it would be a fun addition for Citywalk.
copperfields_fantasmic_sign.jpg

davidcopperfield%20(1).jpg

There was even a concept drawing.
2264470872_7601599172_o.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
Wow, I never realized there was ever any concept art released for Copperfield Magic Underground. I had been pretty excited for that restaurant as a kid, and slightly bummed it never happened. I used to love his television specials.

As for nowadays, a magic themed restaurant could be a good fit for CityWalk, but I would ditch Copperfield and partner with Penn & Teller.

I think those early conversations about this becoming a chocolate factory of sorts were pretty close to the mark.

That is the only thing that makes sense to me so I really really hope you are right. UOR doesn't really have an addiction palace short of Potter land. (btw, I am slightly allergic to chocolate and far from an addict). Cast Universal Studios characters would sell like hotcakes as special return gifts. Chocolate t-rex, transformer, minion, wands even...

Reactions: TJwny
Call WWE niche if you want, and sure its ratings are slipping, but Raw is still pretty much a permanent fixture in the cable top 5 week in and out. Eliminate the finals, it's probably ahead of the NBA, and certainly ahead of NHL and MLS on a nation-wide basis. Truth is, everything but the NFL is niche [in the US, calm down soccereheads].

Back when Front Row was open, they would draw a nice crowd for PPVs. If (big if I grant you) WWE can do the same and make Raw into a weekly event, that's 64 nights a year they're covered. Throw in 20 for football and maybe March Madness/NBA finals because out-of-towners in the parks don't care where they watch the game, you're at the same popularity as any other sports bar. Except a decent percentage of kids still want to come in during the day.

Finally, I'm sure there will be a gift shop that will make decent money off the WWE merch machine.

You may not like the product--I haven't watched it in years--but there's little doubt in my mind targeting the limited percentage of Universal fans who are into the WWE is not a bad bet. I think it has a much better shot at survival than NBA Sports Grill Brew, which also has a limited target market but far more competition in the immediate area.

The problem with your argument is that NBC Sports Grill Brew is in a much better location and it's generic enough to grab all of the NFL/NBA/NASCAR crowd that walks buy. It'd be Universal competing against itself on game nights. It's not a good look or a good strategy to have both and Comcast is going to pick synergy over partnerships.

I think any kind of unique experience more than just a restaurant would be the best option. A magic show or horror type theme with a restaurant attached could pull people over from the other side of the lake and it fits more with what that side offers of a show type thing. Hard Rock and Blue Man both are performances so I would think something like that could work.

I would really hope it isn't anything WWE related, and right now I would be terrified of any kind of Hall of Fame type thing. After losing a few huge Hall of Fame names within the past few years (Hulk Hogan, Bill Cosby, Lou Paterno) I would not be throwing out a bunch of money on anyone's glory days.

Status
Not open for further replies.