Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 174 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't think Universal wants everything to be Potter popular but rather have multiple properties together together that surpass Potter's popularity. Its better for crowd control in the end. Having a park with Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, etc is stronger and will essentially have better crowd disperal than a park that just has Mario and the rest of the lineup not popular
You're saying it's better to have all three in one park rather than splitting them up between parks?

You're saying it's better to have all three in one park rather than splitting them up between parks?

Yes. At first I thought about different parks but thinking at it now, each one of those IPs have some audience that cross but not as much as most would hope. Mario has the most of the older community, Pokemon has the youth and Zelda has the millennials. With people downplaying pokemon but likes Mario and Zelda they would more likely to go to that park than others.

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Nintendo Land planned for Universal Studios (based on what we heard at least) only going to have one E-Ticket Mario ride? I thought the other stuff was related to F-Zero and possibly Yoshi (which technically is Mario, but he has kinda become his own thing).

Based on what Skip, Teebin, and other insiders have said, the current plan seems to include Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, and POSSIBLY Yoshi (Teebin has been very clear that Yoshi is not a definite lock for USF, seems to be for USJ but could come to Florida)

F-Zero is a pretty dead franchise, no way they would make a ride based on that franchise unless they literally made a whole park dedicated to Nintendo. Even then, not sure you would see F-Zero

Based on what Skip, Teebin, and other insiders have said, the current plan seems to include Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, and POSSIBLY Yoshi (Teebin has been very clear that Yoshi is not a definite lock for USF, seems to be for USJ but could come to Florida)

F-Zero is a pretty dead franchise, no way they would make a ride based on that franchise unless they literally made a whole park dedicated to Nintendo. Even then, not sure you would see F-Zero

It should also have some small flat rides too, but themed to Mario.

Yeah that's why I was super surprised when I saw it in what people were speculating, seemed like a very odd choice.

EDIT: I think I saw that on WDW Magic and not here though thinking back. I could be wrong, but I know I saw it somewhere.

This would make a bit more sense, though I still think Donkey Kong and Yoshi while having Mario origins are kind of their own things. Granted, that's probably why they would be very appealing to get their own sort of ride and could still be housed in an area like that.

Ehhh let me fix that:
Marvel/DC
Star Wars
HP
I actually would argue that DC probably is bigger than Marvel in a lot of ways. While Marvel is currently bigger and has that kind of appeal, it'd be harder to find somebody who doesn't know who Superman is than Spiderman. Spiderman while having close to Superman's level of recognition, doesn't have quite the same level.

Also, Nintendo definitely would be under HP. Recognizability wise, Mario and Pikachu are insanely high up there.

I actually would argue that DC probably is bigger than Marvel in a lot of ways. While Marvel is currently bigger and has that kind of appeal, it'd be impossible to find somebody who doesn't know who Superman is. Spiderman while having close to that, doesn't have quite the same recognizability.

Also, Nintendo definitely would be under HP. Recognizability wise, Mario and Pikachu are insanely high up there.
I think Spider-Man beats all. He sells about 1.2 billion in merchandise yearly.

Which Superhero Earns $1.3 Billion a Year? | Hollywood Reporter

I'm really surprised that everybody seems to think Nintendo will be one land. I always assumed it would be multiple lands in multiple parks.

There is the DWA question though. Universal got the Nintendo rights before they bought DWA. I'd imagine that shifted the 3rd park ideas from Nintendo to Dreamworks very quickly.

Ehhh let me fix that:
Marvel/DC
Star Wars
HP

Everything else

See the reason I don't put Marvel/DC up there is that each family is really a different story. So while some love Superman, others love a different character and movie set. Also, there is so many different styles even within the characters themselves. So making a land can be in a style some really care about and others don't. So to me it is all over the place. I don't think it will attract the same amount of people.

I'm really surprised that everybody seems to think Nintendo will be one land. I always assumed it would be multiple lands in multiple parks.

There is the DWA question though. Universal got the Nintendo rights before they bought DWA. I'd imagine that shifted the 3rd park ideas from Nintendo to Dreamworks very quickly.
The problem I can potentially see with Nintendo is a desire to go to a theme park based upon it. Mario and many Nintendo characters are almost as familiar as Mickey Mouse. But, it doesn't have the story like HP or Star Wars, does. Story, IMO, makes a lovable IP. Countless people LOVE to play Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros., etc. But, do they love Mario (the character) in the same way they love Harry Potter or Luke Skywalker? Despite the familiarity, I can't imagine the demand for Nintendo being close to HP or SW. Disney's Avatar expansion and Nintendo, IMO, have countless similarities. Both, IMO, will be a success or failure based upon how well they are executed, not on the back of the IP.

Reactions: graspthesun

Eh, I think most people feel there will be more than 1 land, or at least I do, it's just whether additional land(s) will be dedicated to one franchise, or if it will be a combination. I personally feel franchises such as Zelda and Pokemon could make for a whole land on their own, or at least a mini land. Those are Nintendo next biggest franchises after Mario. The other franchises (Metroid, Starfox, kirby, Pikmin, etc) while have some level of success aren't big enough to carry a land on their own, but could possibly get an attraction somewhere/together I would think.

Last edited:
Yes. At first I thought about different parks but thinking at it now, each one of those IPs have some audience that cross but not as much as most would hope. Mario has the most of the older community, Pokemon has the youth and Zelda has the millennials. With people downplaying pokemon but likes Mario and Zelda they would more likely to go to that park than others.
If anything I thought Mario would be in USF and Zelda/Pokémon in the third park or maybe even one of them in IoA.

Whatever happens I hope we keep the DK coaster. I've wanted that as a ride for as long as I can remember.

Reactions: Brer Oswald
The problem I can potentially see with Nintendo is a desire to go to a theme park based upon it. Mario and many Nintendo characters are almost as familiar as Mickey Mouse. But, it doesn't have the story like HP or Star Wars, does. Story, IMO, makes a lovable IP. Countless people LOVE to play Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros., etc. But, do they love Mario (the character) in the same way they love Harry Potter or Luke Skywalker? Despite the familiarity, I can't imagine the demand for Nintendo being close to HP or SW. Disney's Avatar expansion and Nintendo, IMO, have countless similarities. Both, IMO, will be a success or failure based upon how well they are executed, not on the back of the IP.
Um, Nintendo is way bigger than Avatar. It's no contest. They may not have stories like HP or Star Wars but they're in the same cultural icon ballpark even if the others may be bigger.

The popularity of their characters transcends the number of hardware units they sell.

I think all you need to see is the reaction Miyamoto and Super Mario RUN got at the Apple conference the other week or the reaction to Pokémon GO to know that people are definitely fond of the Nintendo properties

I think all you need to see is the reaction Miyamoto and Super Mario RUN got at the Apple conference the other week or the reaction to Pokémon GO to know that people are definitely fond of the Nintendo properties
Um, Nintendo is way bigger than Avatar. It's no contest. They may not have stories like HP or Star Wars but they're in the same cultural icon ballpark even if the others may be bigger.

The popularity of their characters transcends the number of hardware units they sell.
I have no doubt that the IP is one of the largest in the world. It supports an entire corporation for crying out loud. It's big.
The question I have is whether the public loves the games or loves the characters. For me, I have about 10 or so Nintendo (all Mario universe) titles (a 3DS and a Wii) and I love playing the games. But I'm not particularly attached to the characters or their environments. Unlike Luke or Harry, I couldn't care less if Mario was stabbed with a pitchfork. I feel the same with Mickey Mouse. He's big, iconic, etc. but there's no emotional connection there, other than nostalgia. This, I think, is due to the lack of story.

Hopefully I've conveyed my reasoning better this time.

I have no doubt that the IP is one of the largest in the world. It supports an entire corporation for crying out loud. It's big.
The question I have is whether the public loves the games or loves the characters. For me, I have about 10 or so Nintendo (all Mario universe) titles (a 3DS and a Wii) and I love playing the games. But I'm not particularly attached to the characters or their environments. Unlike Luke or Harry, I couldn't care less if Mario was stabbed with a pitchfork. I feel the same with Mickey Mouse. He's big, iconic, etc. but there's no emotional connection there, other than nostalgia. This, I think, is due to the lack of story.

Hopefully I've conveyed my reasoning better this time.
Well kids love Mickey Mouse too. I'd honestly say Mario is more loved as a character than his games now a days. Not to discredit the Mario games, but I think a large portion of those games is loved because of the character attached to them. I think he fits that kind of role better than anybody in Avatar (and arguably Harry Potter) could.

Also if we're talking about in general with Nintendo, Pikachu fits the role of what you're talking about perfectly. People love Pikachu, a lot do even if they aren't even Pokemon fans or aware of the series really. He's pretty recognizable.

Reactions: Mike S and DoubleJ
Well kids love Mickey Mouse too. I'd honestly say Mario is more loved as a character than his games now a days. Not to discredit the Mario games, but I think a large portion of those games is loved because of the character attached to them. I think he fits that kind of role better than anybody in Avatar (and arguably Harry Potter) could.

Also if we're talking about in general with Nintendo, Pikachu fits the role of what you're talking about perfectly. People love Pikachu, a lot do even if they aren't even Pokemon fans or aware of the series really. He's pretty recognizable.
Pokémon I can agree with. I personally never got into it, but with its own TV show, I'm sure there's more there than Mario.

I think if Universal can capture the franchise in a way that sets it apart from the games, while preserving what makes them special (like the soundtracks!!), they may have a hit. But people aren't going to be begging to run through grass, jump over/slide down green pipes, like they were begging to visit Hogwarts.

My take.

Last edited: