Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 176 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If Zelda gets pushed to a third park I hope the soundtrack at least gets a spot in US until then

Zelda was never slated for Studios or IOA. In fact outside of speculation there has been no rumors they will use Zelda. My guess is that we are hearing nothing because it is for the 3rd park and we are hearing zero about the IPs that will be used in the 3rd park. Everything right now is speculation. There may be an insider that knows more, but if they do they cannot say anything yet, not even hints.

Reactions: Mike S
True, but so far, Mario has only been prominent in 1 medium, games, compared to Potter's three. This will soon change with the Nintendo theme park and movie deals. Most people have the misconception that Mario CAN'T tell a good story. The developers just choose not to for the main games so they can focus on the gameplay. If you guys are in doubt, look at the RPGs. I think the days of genetic Mario is over. Besides, they can literally take Mario anywhere from here, while Potter is confined to a 7 part series.

Lest we forget...

Super-Mario-Bros-014.jpg

True, but so far, Mario has only been prominent in 1 medium, games, compared to Potter's three. This will soon change with the Nintendo theme park and movie deals. Most people have the misconception that Mario CAN'T tell a good story. The developers just choose not to for the main games so they can focus on the gameplay. If you guys are in doubt, look at the RPGs. I think the days of genetic Mario is over. Besides, they can literally take Mario anywhere from here, while Potter is confined to a 7 part series.
Super Mario Galaxy had a pretty good story (for a Mario game), especially Rosalina's backstory.

Reactions: Brer Oswald
The concepts that had other stuff in it were, as far as I can tell, the initial pitch. But it shows they do have their eyes on other stuff

Gotcha. I am thinking I was not paying attention to the boards when that was being discussed. I know I wasn't paying attention for awhile there around when I was pregnant and then with a newborn.

To be fair, $7 billion is the number of tickets sold multiplied by the price of each ticket. 528 million is the number of Mario games sold, not counting price, though it obviously includes the games that came bundled with the Nintendo consoles which gives it an unfair advantage in some ways (virtually every NES sold came bundled with Super Mario Bros., thus why that game is still the best "selling" Mario title with 40 million or so units "sold"). When you consider that even the cheapest Mario games sell for at least $20 (I think I'm being generous to Potter here too), Mario makes Potter look like the boy who died. But, for a 100% fair comparison, one should compare the total franchise value (books, movies, games, merchandise, etc.), in that case Potter is leaps and bounds ahead of the famed Italian plumber (by roughly $10 billion in franchise value).

No, that $7 billion is revenue. The studios don't release tickets sold numbers. They release revenue figures. You have to figure everything in for a fair comparison. 400+ million books, dvd's merch, all of it. I've seen it estimated that the Potter series has brought in around $24 billion. For Mario to match that, you'd have to use a $50 average for the Mario games. That's not even close, since, as you pointed out, a very large chunk of the mario units "sold" were given away when people bought systems.

Saying that something is going to be bigger once they do something doesn't make it bigger. They made a movie that was a flop. Theme park revenue will never begin to touch merch, book, movie, game, etc revenue.

There are three more Potter movies coming out so far. The series far from done.

Super Mario Galaxy had a pretty good story (for a Mario game), especially Rosalina's backstory.
That would be the one major exception. Just the grand overall scope of things were impressive. You weren't just saving the Princess, you were saving the Universe!

No, that $7 billion is revenue. The studios don't release tickets sold numbers. They release revenue figures. You have to figure everything in for a fair comparison. 400+ million books, dvd's merch, all of it. I've seen it estimated that the Potter series has brought in around $24 billion. For Mario to match that, you'd have to use a $50 average for the Mario games. That's not even close, since, as you pointed out, a very large chunk of the mario units "sold" were given away when people bought systems.

Saying that something is going to be bigger once they do something doesn't make it bigger. They made a movie that was a flop. Theme park revenue will never begin to touch merch, book, movie, game, etc revenue.

There are three more Potter movies coming out so far. The series far from done.
I'm not saying it is going to make Mario bigger, it will just increase the audience that the franchise will be projected to. Not everyone likes playing video games, but everyone watches movies. The movie was a flop for many reasons, the IP wasn't established enough at the time, but has grown quite a bit since. I advise you to look up why the movie was a flop, it had nothing to do with the potential of the character, it was because of clumsy production. Also, Nintendo merchandise outside of games has just started to become more common outside of Japan in the last 2 years, and the theme parks will push this further.

Reactions: Mike S
So, how will Nintendo compare to this MiceChat description of the main Star Wars ride?
In the case of the Stormtrooper Battle Escape ride, code-named Alcatraz, WDI wants you to rush to your wireless and trackless vehicle and board and then disembark and re-board the vehicles on different levels of the massive ride building several times during the course of a long experience, all while under attack by Stormtroopers. The pit currently being dug deep into the ground on the Alcatraz site is required for the elevator mechanism that will make the multi-level ride possible.

Imagine riding Pirates of the Caribbean, but getting off your boat in the caverns to explore the skeletal remains, getting back in your boat quickly when you hear Barbosa attacking the fort, sailing along until you get out of your boat a second time in the auction scene to interact with the panicky townsfolk for a while, then re-board your boat quickly when the fire breaks out to escape by sailing through the rides finale’. As an additional point of reference, Disneyland’s Pirates has 75 animatronic figures, but Alcatraz will have over 150 animatronic Stormtroopers alone, plus additional animatronic Star Wars characters from the tiny to the gargantuan. With Star Wars, WDI wants to blow your mind when it comes to what you think a Disneyland ride can do and how you interact with it. And they’ve already begun to use that same criteria in planning DCA’s upcoming new Marvel rides and park expansion.