Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 178 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
"The Future of Nintendo"

NX, Universal, movies, etc.

Their next investors meeting is on the 26th of this month so it'll probably be before then if my guess is right.

Makes a lot of sense, when considering that they skipped October and haven't talked that much of the NX, my thinking is this..

Nintendo will be somewhat rebooted in their ways of logic with the NX, with new marketing strategies to get people knowing of the NX. I don't think it'll turn into another Wii U situation, but that they want to talk of the goals they have in mind with the NX being the start of the push for more Nintendo products globally.

The films do that in many ways; allowing new stories to be told hopefully much quicker than the games, while if animated; helps keep the same art style that it'd have. It would also allow new uses of IPs that can turn into blockbusters, and that it'd be all done in-house (excluding Distribution of-course; which could go to Universal Pictures for everywhere else excluding Toho).

Then the parks, announcing that they will all be ready around the same time as each other makes a lot of sense; but I think the only thing that could be said is a small conceptual art of Mario Kart, the locations for Nintendoland (USH, USF, USJ), and an opening window of 2020 for all three iterations.

And then as for the NX and App games (Like Pokémon Go, Super Mario Run, Fire Enblem/Animal Crossing); it'd be a good opportunity to showcase what their ambitions are for the NX, showcasing it's power and accessibility. I have to think that the NX is something that will be changing the philosophical beliefs of Nintendo of Japan/America/Europe in that it's marketing, execution, and distribution may be completely different compared to previous console entries.

I am having to believe that the next Direct is something much more informational and responsive rather than showing random games. When it comes to the NX/Apps, Parks, Films; they can't screw up the marketing. Will they? I think we'll just have to wait and see on that.

Reactions: Mike S
What I find interesting is he went all the way to Florida instead of Osaka. The only thing I can see is Nintendo visiting UC as well and potentially film rights as I know they do filming and green screen live rendering in the soundstages as well but idk.

What I find interesting is he went all the way to Florida instead of Osaka. The only thing I can see is Nintendo visiting UC as well and potentially film rights as I know they do filming and green screen live rendering in the soundstages as well but idk.
I'm pretty sure it was to preview a ride with a similar ride system / environment, Men in Black: Alien Attack. It's the only ground-based AA heavy dark ride that Universal owns. As he was also spotted with others there and @Teebin hinted at it above.

Seems strange to me, to try and clinch a deal (ok it's already done but same applies) by saying "It'll be like this, only way better." Strikes me as odd, but I guess there must be a reason.

Reactions: chewbacca1995
Mind you, that may not be the reason he was near MIB at all. I was just offering conjecture based off my recent knowledge.

Right. It's not like they went to MIB and then back to Japan.

If only you had to pass MIB on the way to Diagon Alley ;)

I guess they where there to approve stuff (food, rides, the details of the land etc.).
Regarding the NX, I'm not that positive. The rumored price is quite low for a new console and I expect they go more for a toy like Wii then a full blown game console. In the end I care more for Nintendoland at Universal then the NX.

I guess they where there to approve stuff (food, rides, the details of the land etc.).
Regarding the NX, I'm not that positive. The rumored price is quite low for a new console and I expect they go more for a toy like Wii then a full blown game console. In the end I care more for Nintendoland at Universal then the NX.
Since when was the Wii a toy?!

Since when was the Wii a toy?!
They advertised it more as a toy than a console. It had a price low enough that it appealed to the market better initially because people we're not looking to buy a new console. It positioned it as in addition to a console. It's why many people have either a PlayStation or an Xbox and a wii and almost nobody has both an Xbox and a PlayStation.

Later, it was also advertised as a fitness/wellness product and a gaming console.

Nintendo is fourth gate, many many years away.

Volcano Bay is third gate.
A fourth gate themed to Nintendo would be nice, but I doubt Comcast would limit their audience that much.

There's certainly enough IPs to warrant a Nintendo theme park:
  1. Mushroom Kingdom
  2. Donkey Kong Country-themed area
  3. Yoshi's Island
  4. Animal Crossing-themed area
  5. Dreamland
  6. Hyrule
  7. Pokeworld/Kanto
  8. Syfy City (Metroid, Star Fox, Pikmin, F-Zero)
  9. Retro-themed area (Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, Excitebike, Mr. Game and Watch, etc.)
It would limit it to only video games, but a well-done park with DisneySea-level theming and a diverse attraction lineup could overcome that aspect.

I still feel that a full video game theme park on the scale of a current Disney/Universal gate will never happen. I am the biggest gaming fan that I personally know (I've been goofing around on PSVR all morning) but I still know that there is a very real negative opinion that gaming still can't quite shake off as a hobby in too many people's eyes, that will likely forever delay anyone ever taking the risk on a full park. Lots of folks still view it as a solitary and anti-social habit for pale, overweight, violence obsessed youths, which as I will repeat, is absolutely not my personal opinion.
I feel that many of the elder family members who book and pay for these vacations to Florida will just not find the idea of a full day at a video game park appealing, no matter how cool the rides and experiences would be.
Nintendo would be best served by following Potters example and placing an individual land/area in each park. Maybe Mario World in Universal Studios, Hyrule taking over The Lost Continent at IOA and another land (maybe Pokemon?) in the new park. This encourages Nintendo/video game fans to book a multi-day vacation and also increases non-gaming fans awareness to the brand in a natural and hopefully appealing way.

Last edited:
I still feel that a full video game theme park on the scale of a current Disney/Universal gate will never happen. I am the biggest gaming fan that I personally know (I've been goofing around on PSVR all morning) but I still know that there is a very real negative opinion that gaming still can't quite shake off as a hobby in too many people's eyes, that will likely forever delay anyone ever taking the risk on a full park. Lots of folks still view it as a solitary and anti-social habit for pale, overweight, violence obsessed youths, which as I will repeat, is absolutely not my personal opinion.
I feel that many of the elder family members who book and pay for these vacations to Florida will just not find the idea of a full day at a video game park appealing, no matter how cool the rides and experiences would be.
Nintendo would be best served by taking following Potters example and placing an individual land/area in each park. Maybe Mario World in Universal Studios, Hyrule taking over The Lost Continent at IOA and another land (maybe Pokemon?) in the new park. This encourages Nintendo/video game fans to book a multi-day vacation and also increases non-gaming fans awareness to the brand in a natural and hopefully appealing way.
I'm inclined to agree except on IOA. I don't see Nintendo making its way there because Illumination and DreamWorks make more sense as TL/LC replacements. Zelda and Pokemon would likely get their own areas in the 3rd gate (both being the primary draws for gate 3)

Mario/DK/Yoshi at USF

Zelda/Pokemon at 3rd gate

I'd also say Metroid could work in a general science-fiction area (mixed with other IPs/original ideas), while Animal Crossing could work in a general forest setting (alongside DreamWorks and Laika).

One thing most people seem to forget is the size of the new plot is the entire size of the north campus already. So they have room for two parks, a water park 4 hotels and a citywalk if they chose. So a nintendo park along the size of USF or IOA is possible with tons of room leftover

Reactions: LieutLaww