Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 221 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Starting in Fall 2017 would mean a 2020 opening which is about right with the amount of work that's needing to be done. This is three brad new rides and theming which is more than Potter has ever gotten.

Starting in Fall 2017 would mean a 2020 opening which is about right with the amount of work that's needing to be done. This is three brad new rides and theming which is more than Potter has ever gotten.
I thought Japan was getting theirs first in 2020 and Orlando after that?

Japan said by the Olympics so it could be late 2019, but even if ours is 2021, the build time appears correct.

E.T. is so tied to the gigantic first impressions Universal Studios Florida made on me as a kid that I'd be pretty bummed to see it go. Then again, Universal has already gotten rid of almost all of my old '90s favorites, so I should probably be used to that feeling.

If E.T. goes away, the hypothetical Yoshi ride (if that's what it would be) taking its place had better be pretty fantastic, and E.T. will join Jaws and Back to the Future as a trio of iconic properties that Universal is doing absolutely nothing with.

E.T. is so tied to the gigantic first impressions Universal Studios Florida made on me as a kid that I'd be pretty bummed to see it go. Then again, Universal has already gotten rid of almost all of my old '90s favorites, so I should probably be used to that feeling.

If E.T. goes away, the hypothetical Yoshi ride (if that's what it would be) taking its place had better be pretty fantastic, and E.T. will join Jaws and Back to the Future as a trio of iconic properties that Universal is doing absolutely nothing with.
They brought back Kong. I am no insider but I don't think it is being too optimistic to think that eventually at least one of those properties will be brought back in some capacity. There is a new park opening after all.

They brought back Kong. I am no insider but I don't think it is being too optimistic to think that eventually at least one of those properties will be brought back in some capacity. There is a new park opening after all.

It's fun to speculate about the third park, or about a fantastical "Great Universal Movie Ride," and things like that, but I really don't think it's terribly probable that we see Universal honor these pieces of its outstanding cinematic legacy in ride form again. I don't know that they see much value in them beyond the home video market and licensed merchandising.

I hope I'm wrong!

It's fun to speculate about the third park, or about a fantastical "Great Universal Movie Ride," and things like that, but I really don't think it's terribly probable that we see Universal honor these pieces of its outstanding cinematic legacy in ride form again. I don't know that they see much value in them beyond the home video market and licensed merchandising.

I hope I'm wrong!

Let's be real...it's because there's not a huge value for them outside those markets. ET and Jaws are never going to bring in the merch money Nintendo or Harry Potter will

Last edited:
Let's be real...it's because there's not a huge value for them outside those markets. ET and Jaws are never going to bring in the merch money Nintendo or Harry Potter will

Of course, but that's getting awfully close to a "Universal is a business" mentality through which any new moves could be justified. I've never questioned the business-driven rationales for most of the decisions they've made in terms of how they replace attractions. If E.T. goes away, rest assured I'll completely understand why. What I have questioned is whether or not these moves have resulted/will result in a theme park that holds as much appeal for me in its attraction lineup as it once did.

I'm not an owner, I'm not on the board of directors, I don't work for the company in any capacity. I'm just a guest. I'm not required to automatically prefer the option that generates more merch revenue for the company.

I think ET as it exists is very dated.

People argued Horizons needed to go because it was outdated - well ET is more so and more glaringly.

If they spent a lot of time and money updating ET to new tech it'd be fine. But that same money I'd rather take that same ride system and ride a herd of Yoshii through Dinosaurland and such for about the same cost to implement.

Reactions: Mike S
Every attraction can't be a star merchandise seller. There's only so many IP's around that are capable of moving a lot of merchandise. So while merchandise sales are certainly a contributing factor as to if an attraction gets built or stays, it's not the only consideration. Guest satisfaction, ride diversity in a park, attendance drivers, and demographics are also prominent factors...Look at Kong. It's an expensive new attraction, but it was probable that merchandise sales were not a significant factor in it's built. It's there to fill a void of family oriented attractions that can also be operated in inclement weather conditions in a park (IOA) that has lots of outdoor rides that close when it rains.

Reactions: AzaJ12345
Do you think they can use this area as well?
1483991279-expansionplot.png