No Water from Freestyle Machines | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

No Water from Freestyle Machines

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I really don't think there is some huge conspiracy theory, it is prolly just a combinations of some minor things such as complaints and costs.
thanks and I don't think it is some conspiracy theory either. Just something they thought wouldn't be a big deal to help with some issues they are having. I only asked because I was genuinely curious on how these things actually work. It really is a pretty impressive machine. Interestingly enough that image does appear to show a Dasani cartridge.

Reactions: anihilnation
thanks and I don't think it is some conspiracy theory either. Just something they thought wouldn't be a big deal to help with some issues they are having. I only asked because I was genuinely curious on how these things actually work. It really is a pretty impressive machine. Interestingly enough that image does appear to show a Dasani cartridge.
One thing I always wonder is why there is no carbonated water. Usually I prefer this, at home I usually drink Winn Dixie seltzer water (canned). Growing up in Belgium there was a lot of sparkling water available, but here in the US you never see much sparkling water, and if you do, it is Perrier. I know Zephyr Hills has sparkling water now, but I don't like the taste of their water much. The Winn Dixie seltzer I buy is heavily purified, so the water has almost nothing in it besides H2O and carbonation.

I agree, I did not mean to imply asking and begging is the same; just wanted to point out something existing in the mindset of some. I also did not mean what I said as a rebuke to Brian directly, but rather to address something I have on the FB UOAP group, where some people espouse a mindset of privilegism that I, as a philosopher, find a tad disturbing. I noticed some people in UOAP who definitely had the attitude of I pay for my cup, therefore I am better than the free water people. Also, I understand business and now how the game works, but it is scary how people just utter: well that's just business.

And lol, I have some issues with express as well, though mainly in how it is implemented and how sometimes they over sell it.
One aspect that really annoys me in general is that drinking water equates to being cheap. I love drinking water, when I'm thirsty it really is my favorite option. I enjoy certain sodas and there is certainly a time and place for them. It's just annoying that there's this stigma against drinking water. Ask any waiter what they're really thinking when someone say's "I'll just have water". When businesses do give you complimentary water they force you to drink it in tiny cups typically smaller than the smaller size they serve. Pushing people to hydrate themselves with sugary sodas alone is extremely unhealthy. I love having the option to drink wide varieties of soda but along with that should be the option for water.

If Universal doesn't change this soon it's only a matter of time before some heath advocate groups pick up on this and start pushing stories out to the media and this will be a much bigger headache than paying for an occasional extra water filter.

Would it break the UOAP FB group's heart if they found out that the plastic passes came back because of Volcano Bay, and not because of their incessant requests?
I'm pretty sure they would be happy to find out their AP's would be good for Volcano Bay. I don't think that's going to happen though. Plastic passes just make good business sense. They've been working on them since before the FB group and probably before they started thinking about VB being an issue.

One aspect that really annoys me in general is that drinking water equates to being cheap. I love drinking water, when I'm thirsty it really is my favorite option. I enjoy certain sodas and there is certainly a time and place for them. It's just annoying that there's this stigma against drinking water. Ask any waiter what they're really thinking when someone say's "I'll just have water". When businesses do give you complimentary water they force you to drink it in tiny cups typically smaller than the smaller size they serve. Pushing people to hydrate themselves with sugary sodas alone is extremely unhealthy. I love having the option to drink wide varieties of soda but along with that should be the option for water.

If Universal doesn't change this soon it's only a matter of time before some heath advocate groups pick up on this and start pushing stories out to the media and this will be a much bigger headache than paying for an occasional extra water filter.
Reminds me of a scene in Fellini's 8 1/2 where someone says: Whenever I want something pure, I drink water.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Has this attraction or any other always been sponsored by water or is this something new.

Perhaps there's more to this story than Universal and Coke. Maybe they got some pressure from a sponsor?

Now that you mention it, that makes perfect sense.:doh: Kind of a no brainer. Thanks for the input. :)
I know some say the reason why passes went up by so much, especially renewal rates, is because VB will be included. In all honesty, I can see this being true maybe for the first year.

PS: what an irony talking about VB in this thread lol

I'm pretty sure they would be happy to find out their AP's would be good for Volcano Bay. I don't think that's going to happen though. Plastic passes just make good business sense. They've been working on them since before the FB group and probably before they started thinking about VB being an issue.
You're not understanding what I'm saying. It's so annual passholders don't have their tickets ruined when they go to the water parks, not that they're adding the parks to their Annual Passes.

Reactions: Clive and Mad Dog
You're not understanding what I'm saying. It's so annual passholders don't have their tickets ruined when they go to the water parks, not that they're adding the parks to their Annual Passes.
Yeah I get what your saying. I just don't think plastic passses have anything at all to do with VB. If the pass isn't good for the park then why would you need to take it into the water with you. Even then why would you need to take it in with you. Mostly everyone carries various items that can't go in the water and will get a locker or have a place to put it while enjoying the park. I don't see any connection whatsoever to plastic passes and VB.

post-28669-scanners-head-explosion-gif-mi-O2Jc.gif

Honestly Disney doesn't have Freestyle stations and they have water fountains and free water at restaurants. So I think a health group would have a hard time latching on to this one and gaining traction. The water is still available, just not at those machines that have only existed for 2 years.

Universal doesn't want to have to change filters as often or deal with paying customers complaining. I think they will fix it so that paying customers can get the water and this will go away. Because most people will go back to what they did 2 years ago when these machines didn't exist. It is not a health concern.

Honestly Disney doesn't have Freestyle stations and they have water fountains and free water at restaurants. So I think a health group would have a hard time latching on to this one and gaining traction. The water is still available, just not at those machines that have only existed for 2 years.

Universal doesn't want to have to change filters as often or deal with paying customers complaining. I think they will fix it so that paying customers can get the water and this will go away. Because most people will go back to what they did 2 years ago when these machines didn't exist. It is not a health concern.
Well Disney doesn't have the Freestyle machines so you can directly compare them. The only thing you can say for certain is that everywhere Disney offers drinks they also offer water, Universal can longer say that.

The point is they're pushing people to drink soda only. If someone purchases a mug and then after a few sodas decides they want water instead they'll find that option missing and will likely just pick another soda.

I don't agree with all the health advocates claiming soda sizes should be limited and other stuff like that. I have no doubt though given enough time they'll pick up on this far more valid complaint and exploit it for all its worth.

This is clearly a power play to shorten lines for rides.

- Make guests spend on Coke Freestyle cups.
- Only offer soda/sugary drinks.
- Fatten up guests to the point where they can't fit on many rides.
- Shorter lines.

Boom.
Maybe they signed a deal with the company providing ECVs to fatten people up so that more people will rent them :)

Waiters don't like serving water because their tips are based off the total of the check. It takes them just as much effort to serve water as it does a soda, but it doesn't add to the amount that you're charged and thus doesn't factor in to their tip if they're tipped a set percentage of the check.

Additionally, if a park offers you free water at a stand as opposed to just allowing you to fill up at a water fountain, they're not making revenue off of you. They're providing labor to provide you with something that doesn't make them money. Ultimately, you have 6 fewer places to fill up in each park now than you did over the past two years, but just as many as you did before the freestyle machines were installed.