No Water from Freestyle Machines | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

No Water from Freestyle Machines

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This is the one for restaurants, the heavy duty ones the parks use are 3x this size and twice the cost. Believe it.

3M 56289-02 HF65-CL Chloramine Reduction Filter - FreshWaterSystems.com
Thanks. I think I get the taste thing, if the filters are mainly for chloramine, then they probably would not alter the rest of the water quality, so the mineral content remains the same I guess, and since the machines are for coke drinks, the mineral content should not matter much, because the high fructose syrup would mask that anyway.

Yeah not to mention this does nothing to alleviate this supposed complaint (which I don't for a second believe any reasonable number of people are making). Guests will just go and complain about having to wait in line at the QS locations and stands behind those getting water.
Like this: "I had to wait five minutes to get my turkey leg, because people before me wanted free water" :)

Reactions: s8film40
Like this: "I had to wait five minutes to get my turkey leg, because people before me wanted free water" :)
Yeah and honestly this is a bigger issue. There are often no lines at all for Freestyle machines, however stands and QS locations have lines more regularly so it is far more likely for free water at a QS location or stand to have an impact on a line than the Freestyle machines. Not to mention over time this contributes to labor costs as a person has to fill these cups. Labor cost is far greater than even the fanciest of filters.

Reactions: anihilnation
Yeah and honestly this is a bigger issue. There are often no lines at all for Freestyle machines, however stands and QS locations have lines more regularly so it is far more likely for free water at a QS location or stand to have an impact on a line than the Freestyle machines. Not to mention over time this contributes to labor costs as a person has to fill these cups. Labor cost is far greater than even the fanciest of filters.
Agreed. I have never seen the freestyle machines particularly busy.

I don't quite get the filter answer. Are the filters used in the counter service machines not this high quality filter? Are they somehow inferior to the others or are they not changed as regularly? What happens at a restaurant that only has Freestyle machines, pretty sure that Monster Cafe only has beer taps and bottles up front with everything else in the Freestyle bank in the back.

Depending on location and timing it can happen. The vast majority of the time however I've never waited. I waited in a line of about 15-20 people once at the one by the counter in Kid Zone. Only one person got water. I know because I was watching and hoping more people were getting water so the line would move faster.

When Kong was soft launching, I saw the lines by the one in JP get to be about 4-6 people per side. I was only getting water so, I waited for the line to go down a bit after 3 minutes or so. I also generally allow people with sodas get their soda ahead of me, even knowing that it will result in a 10 minute wait of do I want Cherry Lime-ade Sprite or Lime Cherry-Ade Sprite.

I don't quite get the filter answer. Are the filters used in the counter service machines not this high quality filter? Are they somehow inferior to the others or are they not changed as regularly? What happens at a restaurant that only has Freestyle machines, pretty sure that Monster Cafe only has beer taps and bottles up front with everything else in the Freestyle bank in the back.
I would think there is a premium on everything in these machines as they aren't as common as regular soda fountains and everything has to be a little more compact. I highly doubt there's any difference to water quality. If there is they're wasting the money as it isn't noticeable.

So, if a filter is $250 and they shut the machine off b/c of it and then directed everyone to a QS stand, wouldn't it cost them more to pay the salaries/benefits of the people that now need to pour the water into the cup (not to mention the cost of the cups themselves)? 2 thoughts on the long lines: 1) Every long line at the machines that I've seen is due to people not knowing how to work the machine and trying to stand there waiting for their time to click down to when they can refill again and 2) If there are long lines for a machine, why not add another? Again, if you direct the people waiting in line to a QS stand, it will only cost you more in the long run to pay the people serving the guests.

Reactions: Nick and s8film40
Therein lies the danger, it is the line of thinking ... just go ask for the free water, basically the thought is: beg; and why, so that a select few don't get inconvenienced. What does this teach?

It does create a feeling that you are begging when you must go to the counter and ask. With the freestyle machines you are avoiding that begging for something. Interesting point.

Reactions: anihilnation
I would think there is a premium on everything in these machines as they aren't as common as regular soda fountains and everything has to be a little more compact. I highly doubt there's any difference to water quality. If there is they're wasting the money as it isn't noticeable.
I agree, I wouldn't expect these machines to be filtered that differently.
I am curious as to whether they are more compact or not. Standard fountain sodas go on top of a counter and are generally pretty small. The only thing that is big is the ice holder. The Freestyle machines are pretty large. Does anyone have any good facts around form factor.

I agree, I wouldn't expect these machines to be filtered that differently.
I am curious as to whether they are more compact or not. Standard fountain sodas go on top of a counter and are generally pretty small. The only thing that is big is the ice holder. The Freestyle machines are pretty large. Does anyone have any good facts around form factor.
Regular soda machines have all the syrups in these big bags somewhere behind the counter, not within the machine. The inside of the freestyle machines have all these flavor cartridges. Everything inside of them has to be really compact and I would bet is all mostly proprietary. I really don't think there is some huge conspiracy theory, it is prolly just a combinations of some minor things such as complaints and costs.

And for reference:
ARbaHEr.jpg

Labor is a fixed cost at the stand. They have a person there for x amount of hours regardless of the amount of transactions that take place. If they aren't efficient enough at moving the line, then the line grows. Costs don't increase.

Then you have the trade off of people in line at the stand. They can choose not to get into line if they think it is too long and water does not slow that line down. In fact, a water refill takes about half as long as a paid transaction because there is no money transaction to factor in.

Just goes to show people are passionate about water.
I will say I do feel sorry for the people managing the UOAP FB page. They just got plastic annual passes and I'm sure breathed a sigh of relief that that topic could finally be put to rest. Then just a few weeks later this thing happens and seems to be an even more contentious subject.

I expect within about a month they'll give in and restore the water feature and this whole thing will go away.

Therein lies the danger, it is the line of thinking ... just go ask for the free water, basically the thought is: beg; and why, so that a select few don't get inconvenienced. What does this teach?

Asking certainly isn't begging.

This comparison sounds very similar to one for express passes.

Labor is a fixed cost at the stand. They have a person there for x amount of hours regardless of the amount of transactions that take place. If they aren't efficient enough at moving the line, then the line grows. Costs don't increase.

Then you have the trade off of people in line at the stand. They can choose not to get into line if they think it is too long and water does not slow that line down. In fact, a water refill takes about half as long as a paid transaction because there is no money transaction to factor in.
For example at Richters they get backed up, quite often. Typically in the past if you ask them for water they hand you a cup and ask you to go to the freestyle machine. They don't have a person filling drinks like many other locations. They will have to have one of the people there take on this task now. If they want to keep up with the pace as it was they can either add a person or the wait will back up a little. Every task that a TM has to perform adds up to when additional staffing will be needed. It's not like there will be a water filler position but the need for additional staffing will be slightly more common due to it. As you said if they don't move the line along enough the line increases not necessarily costs, but long lines also mean lost revenue.

Asking certainly isn't begging.

This comparison sounds very similar to one for express passes.
I agree, I did not mean to imply asking and begging is the same; just wanted to point out something existing in the mindset of some. I also did not mean what I said as a rebuke to Brian directly, but rather to address something I have on the FB UOAP group, where some people espouse a mindset of privilegism that I, as a philosopher, find a tad disturbing. I noticed some people in UOAP who definitely had the attitude of I pay for my cup, therefore I am better than the free water people. Also, I understand business and now how the game works, but it is scary how people just utter: well that's just business.

And lol, I have some issues with express as well, though mainly in how it is implemented and how sometimes they over sell it.

Reactions: MrRoamer