Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Official Soccer Thread

GettyImages-484384247.0.jpg
Is your adult league playing this season? Ours is. We cancelled the Spring season, but we're back full tilt now.

Is your adult league playing this season? Ours is. We cancelled the Spring season, but we're back full tilt now.

I was never in a league, just a group of people getting together and playing a game. I haven't played in about a year though. Who would have thought getting 14 people together could be so difficult?

I brought it on myself by buying a pair of new boots and I've used them once.

Got to say, I thoroughly enjoyed today's game. :lol:

Orlando City has clinched a home game in their season qualifying for the playoffs, beating Columbus while down a man most of the second half.

Massive club.

Christ.

So Orlando won their first playoff game in a 3 hour, 10 minute marathon of absolute shithousery.

5’ - ORL goes up 1-0 on a PK.
8’ - NYCFC equalizes
Chippy, ugly soccer
Late in the second (82-ish minute), ORL’s starting right back gets a straight red, so ORL has to finish down a man.
Regulation ends 1-1 and we go to extra time.

Extra time is better soccer; fairly open where NYC’s man advantage feels non-existent. No goals, but ORL gets a delay of game yellow (which will matter).

We go to PKs... best of five.

NYC: - - - - -
ORL: - - - - -

NYC hits their first shot of the cross-bar... then goals until NYC’s fifth shooter.

NYC - OXXX -
ORL - XXXX -

Thus begins the most bizarre, inconceivably embarrassing officiating sequence I’ve ever seen in pro sports. Actually. All sports.

NYC shoots and ORL saves. Game should be over with ORL win, but ORL’s keeper jumped before the kick so NYC should get to retake. Laws of the game says that ORL’s keeper should get a verbal warning before the re-kick. However, the ref gives a second yellow which means ORL’s keeper is ejected from the game.

Now, Laws state that subs cannot happen during a shootout. However, the ref directs ORL to sub out their keeper. So ORL does. Backup keeper comes in, lines up and prepares for the kick.

But WAIT... the ref is listening to his ear piece then runs back to the sideline. There, an assistant pulls up the laws of the game on his phone to explain to the ref the sub should have never happened. So, backup keeper goes back off and a field player goes into goal. FINALLY, NYC gets to retake the kick.

NYC scores.
NYC - OXXXX
ORL - XXXX -

No biggie. We just have to score the next one, and it’s Nani shooting. A World Cup legend.

Saved.

NYC - OXXXX
ORL - XXXXO

Sudden death. And ORL has a center back in goal.

We keep shooting.

NYC - OXXXXX-
ORL - XXXXOX-

ORL SAVES! The Center back who is not a goalkeeper saves! Ref blows the whistle! ORL celebrates their (second) win of the shootout!

Wait. No.

NYC - OXXXXXO
ORL - XXXXOX-

The ref realizes his mistake. ORL still needs to take their final kick.

Goal.

Orlando wins.

Again. Finally.

Last edited:
I can’t imagine you thought it would take less than 24 hours to be correct.

The writing was on the wall from the second it was announced.

The fan outrage was huge and couldn't be ignored.

And if it was ignored, Uefa and Fifa made threats instantly to ban any player involved with the teams to be banned from international football. I assume that the clubs would be thrown out of their domestic league.

Even if the teams decided to go ahead with it, they'd be struggling to get any players who would want to play and fans wouldn't pay or show up for games.

It's suicide for any team.

The writing was on the wall from the second it was announced.

The fan outrage was huge and couldn't be ignored.

And if it was ignored, Uefa and Fifa made threats instantly to ban any player involved with the teams to be banned from international football. I assume that the clubs would be thrown out of their domestic league.

Even if the teams decided to go ahead with it, they'd be struggling to get any players who would want to play and fans wouldn't pay or show up for games.

It's suicide for any team.
I definitely think UEFA and FIFA drawing the line they did, far more than the fans, was the breaking point. To be honest, I was kinda shocked they said they would ban players from international play,