Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 44 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOLno

Everest is a decent coaster wrapped in incredibly underwhelming theming with a broken climax.

QFT

I almost get upset with the state of Dinosaur every time I ride it. Right now, it's fun and at times impressive, but man what could've been...

Kilimanjaro Safari is quite an achievement, and while not necessarily my favorite type of ride, it is overall better than Everest.

Everest is a dark coaster, and there were other dark coasters before it. I don't know why but it seems like every one concentrates on Orlando. There are other game changing rides in other parks. Mystery Mine is the best dark coaster I have ever rode.

I almost get upset with the state of Dinosaur every time I ride it. Right now, it's fun and at times impressive, but man what could've been...

I think Dinosaur is great. It's a dark ride.. so I don't mind that it's dark.

I still remember riding Countdown to Extinction during Animal Kingdom's preview days. That thing was intense. I remeber a couple of things from the old version. That end drop seemed to be much faster than what it is now and the audio was just terrifying. Thinking that you were being chased by the Carnotaurus freaked me out something fierce. It's a shame that Disney feels it has to do this to their attractions because people can't handle it. Anyway....Avatar!

So Avatarland is still going to happen?

What happened to all that "Avatar has now been secretly cancelled due to disargreements between James Cameron and Disney" talk about several pages back?

Did I miss something? :look:

You could have just said, "what?" It's kind of an all-encompassing term that tends to alleviate redundancies. :p

I think that they meant was that it is easier to create a believable setting in an old temple than one in prehistoric times simply because we can actually visit temples and tombs (as many of us have). Not so much with living dinosaurs (unless Lucky counts). Assuming that's what they meant, I tend to agree. In Dinosaur, there is a lot of empty space, true, but it is deliberate and, ironic as it sounds, functional. The abysmal blackness of the ride plays into people's fears of the unknown, which is appropriate considering the predicament they are in where anything can strike at any moment. It's definitely harder to suspend belief in a dinosaur setting than an ancient tomb and I thought it was handled superbly via darkness in Dinosaur. Again though, I could be completely misreading TheDecemberists.

You nailed it! :thumbs:

A fictional temple is way easier to theme. You can put up walls where ever you want without a care in the world.

That being said I got a little carried away with saying Jurassic Park is better than Indiana Jones. This is due to me being a bigger fan of dinosaurs than Harrison Ford's acting. :lol:

Last edited:
Everest is a dark coaster, and there were other dark coasters before it. I don't know why but it seems like every one concentrates on Orlando. There are other game changing rides in other parks. Mystery Mine is the best dark coaster I have ever rode.

Mystery Mine is phenomenal in the theme department but I really hated the coaster itself.

^^ It just beat me up, maybe I was there during a bad time but my head got destroyed in the outdoor section after the first vertical lift. And I WAS BRACING the second and third time on over the course of the two days I was there.

Personally, I find Jurassic Park embarrassing in the Dino-department. The anamatronics are out in the open and hence submitted to greater levels of scrutiny. When those dino look like garbage (be it faded paint, jerky motions, or clunky design like the Velocitaptors) or other variables (like light-colored water that exposes the tiny submerged box of cement the poor parasaurolophus heads pop out of) it calls attention to itself. Dinosaur alleviates this by laying under the cloak of darkness, where the darkness itself serves a greater purpose, lending itself to a setting where the dinosaurs themselves are scary. What's thrilling about Jurassic Park is a dine-a-dozen flume drop and little-to-nothing more. I would rank Dino above JP in a heartbeat. Above Spidey thought? That's a toss up for me.

Reactions: Cwoolboy
I disagree, Jurassic Park's flaws are all completely evident, and the ones you point out surely are it's crux. I don't think a ride's animatronics need to be placed inside a show building for it to tell a story and I don't think that the flaws in them detract so much from the ride that tourist are getting off the ride saying "Man, that dino's skin looks really faded." The drop is none the less thrilling, and in turn one of more thrilling aspects of the ride.

However, your point about the dinosaurs being scary shows just as much in Jurassic Park. The 3rd act of the ride, so to speak, is all in a darker facility. One that clearly exudes a feeling of foreboding. The drop is surely thrilling, but I think what makes the drop that much more frightening is the build up, and the ride has quite a bit of it. The dinosaurs outside are not supposed to be frightening, they are supposed to transport us to another world and when the Ultrasaurus is first shown when the gates open you can look around and truly tell that other passengers riding feel transported.

Status
Not open for further replies.