Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 45 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Touche, we should get back on topic. I just hate to kill good conversation when it arises.

But, yeah. Avatar.

Well, not to toot my own horn, but I made a spectacular post a few pages back about where this expansion could go, and all it turned into was "RABBLE RABBLE Dinosaur RABBLE RABBLE."

So yeah I guess just go back and comment.

For all you Avatards:

“I’ve divided my time over the last 16 years over deep ocean exploration and filmmaking. I’ve made two movies in 16 years, and I’ve done eight expeditions. Last year I basically completely disbanded my production company’s development arm. So I’m not interested in developing anything. I’m in theAvatar business. Period. That’s it. I’m makingAvatar, Avatar 2, Avatar 3, maybe Avatar 4, and I’m not going to produce other people’s movies for them. I’m not interested in taking scripts. And that all sounds I suppose a little bit restricted, but the point is I think within the Avatar landscape I can say everything I need to say that I think needs to be said, in terms of the state of the world and what I think we need to be doing about it. And doing it in an entertaining way. And anything I can’t say in that area, I want to say through documentaries, which I’m continuing.”

http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/movies/james-cameron-talks-avatar-2-avatar-3-and-avatar-4/9650

At least Cameron can now be an unbearable git about something I don't care about instead of getting involved with something I like. I mean, the man almost made a Spider-man movie! Scary!

For all you Avatards:

“I’ve divided my time over the last 16 years over deep ocean exploration and filmmaking. I’ve made two movies in 16 years, and I’ve done eight expeditions. Last year I basically completely disbanded my production company’s development arm. So I’m not interested in developing anything. I’m in theAvatar business. Period. That’s it. I’m makingAvatar, Avatar 2, Avatar 3, maybe Avatar 4, and I’m not going to produce other people’s movies for them. I’m not interested in taking scripts. And that all sounds I suppose a little bit restricted, but the point is I think within the Avatar landscape I can say everything I need to say that I think needs to be said, in terms of the state of the world and what I think we need to be doing about it. And doing it in an entertaining way. And anything I can’t say in that area, I want to say through documentaries, which I’m continuing.”

http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/movies/james-cameron-talks-avatar-2-avatar-3-and-avatar-4/9650

WOW....What an A-hole.

he kinda comes off a little silly in that quote. How could you possibly commit yourself to just one project like this. It's almost like saying once Avatar is done he is retiring. I really hope the next Avatar movie is exciting enough to warrant a third and possibly fourth film. I'm just surprised how into it he is. He seems to be more proud for this movie then any other he has made. Which is silly..

he kinda comes off a little silly in that quote. How could you possibly commit yourself to just one project like this. It's almost like saying once Avatar is done he is retiring. I really hope the next Avatar movie is exciting enough to warrant a third and possibly fourth film. I'm just surprised how into it he is. He seems to be more proud for this movie then any other he has made. Which is silly..

Seems clear he is retiring after Avatar. Bon Voyage.

I don't see this expansion doing much for Disney IMO, I think this will flop if it ever gets built. I think avatar doesn't posses much buzz and interest at all. And by the second/third I'm sure people will be sick of it. It just doesn't have the drawing power of some person "oh lets travel to orlando to go too avatarland!!!" It will be interesting to see and whatnot but it isn't going to be a selling point or anything.

I don't see this expansion doing much for Disney IMO, I think this will flop if it ever gets built. I think avatar doesn't posses much buzz and interest at all. And by the second/third I'm sure people will be sick of it. It just doesn't have the drawing power of some person "oh lets travel to orlando to go too avatarland!!!" It will be interesting to see and whatnot but it isn't going to be a selling point or anything.

Depends. I hate to sound like a broken record but again look to ToT. People go to Studios specifically for that ride, it's a fan favorite. It's also based on an all-but-forgotten show in terms of modern television. Kids don't give two craps about The Twilight Zone, they have no idea who Rod Sterling is, yet the attraction has carried its own weight since day one. Avatar could prove the same (if not beyond) as long as the attractions are worthy ones. If it's a good ride, people will love it no matter what property it's based on.

Depends. I hate to sound like a broken record but again look to ToT. People go to Studios specifically for that ride, it's a fan favorite. It's also based on an all-but-forgotten show in terms of modern television. Kids don't give two craps about The Twilight Zone, they have no idea who Rod Sterling is, yet the attraction has carried its own weight since day one. Avatar could prove the same (if not beyond) as long as the attractions are worthy ones. If it's a good ride, people will love it no matter what property it's based on.

TOT is more of a cult ride to be fair, half the people don't care/know about it as you say but it's world renowned. Avatar pretty much everyone knows about and it is beginning to be 'uncool.' Especially the attitude of cameron doesn't help things.

TOT is more of a cult ride to be fair, half the people don't care/know about it as you say but it's world renowned. Avatar pretty much everyone knows about and it is beginning to be 'uncool.' Especially the attitude of cameron doesn't help things.

The show is cult favorite. Absolutely. But ToT is not only one of the best, but it's one of the most popular rides at WDW. There is zero doubt about that. But for that to even matter for Avatar, Disney would need to pull off something with the grand scale of ToT. Which they almost haven't done since ToT itself opened in Orlando.

My point is that the property doesn't make or break the ride. If Avatar's execution goes well and Disney pumps out a unique and equally fun attraction (or two) with a polished atmosphere, longevity will sprout from thequality of it more so than the franchise itself.

My point is that the property doesn't make or break the ride. If Avatar's execution goes well and Disney pumps out a unique and equally fun attraction (or two) with a polished atmosphere, longevity will sprout from thequality of it more so than the franchise itself.

I see where your coming from but I guess I am thinking it from the casual tourist side. For example if I had no clue and went into my travel agents in the UK and I heard Avatarland or Wizarding World of Harry Potter and knew nothing about either park I think the avatarland would just be a meh where as WWOHP would be my selling point. IT will take a lot for the Avatarland attraction to become it's own respected land as well. I think people will be sick of the whole Avatar universe after the second film.

I honestly think this was a desperate and bad choice for Disney.

I honestly think this was a desperate and bad choice for Disney.

This. I love Disney and I want to see them make something remarkable for the resort, but I don't see Avatar pulling that duty for them. But hey, maybe we're both wrong. I think time will tell. If this really is dead, then let it die out, and a new, better idea come in its place. If this isn't dead, then I pray that this comes out far better than any of us have been imagining.

Reactions: batsmouth
This. I love Disney and I want to see them make something remarkable for the resort, but I don't see Avatar pulling that duty for them. But hey, maybe we're both wrong. I think time will tell. If this really is dead, then let it die out, and a new, better idea come in its place. If this isn't dead, then I pray that this comes out far better than any of us have been imagining.

They were desperate when they didn't need to be. I wish DAK would just add the Amazon and an UP attraction. But if they are going through with Avatar, what I care about most is how well they pull off the E-Ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.