Pandora: World of Avatar General Discussion | Page 29 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: World of Avatar General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Eh...nah. It's definitely a merchandise success. Even Disney is surprised so many folks want Avatar merch. Lol.

No.

This has been a surprisingly short thread for such a major new land. Not much activity the past couple of weeks, and very few new comments by those experiencing the new land on either of the two Pandora threads. It's like the land has dropped out of sight. The silence is saddening. :frown:...I thought there would be more people enthused enough about the new land to go experience it & post back. Go figure.

I'm not surprised. This thread was mostly supported by two or three posters who somehow just disappeared once open. Weird.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I think the whole merchandise thing reflects the attitudes some posters may have about Disney/Universal. Let's be honest here. If Universal was constantly selling out of $60 banshees, would anyone call it a failure? I'd be inclined to think not.

I don't get why some here want Disney to fail. Their success pushes Universal to strive for greatness and vice versa.

Ok..., constantly selling out of product and struggling to keep up with demand is a total failure. You're right!

To play Devil's Advocate -

Maybe they had a shorter supply than what they thought they needed?

I'm not saying it's a failure or not - just saying it's possible they undervalued the banshee merch.

again this is pretty much a uni board so why go to it

Well because you can still have conversations - whether you agree or not is fine. I'm head honcho to a Uni board and I still have a Disney AP - because it's still a fun resort to visit.

I'm not saying it's a failure or not - just saying it's possible they undervalued the banshee merch.

Right..which is exactly the point I was trying to make. It's not a failure by any means, now will these items continue to sell like crazy after the "new" car smell wears off? Not so sure.

Well because you can still have conversations - whether you agree or not is fine. I'm head honcho to a Uni board and I still have a Disney AP - because it's still a fun resort to visit.
yep and ive got zero complaints about you
but whether you have an AP or not its still primarily a UNI board, i mean it is called Inside Universal

Since this is the quote most of the bickering is coming from...
This has been a surprisingly short thread for such a major new land. Not much activity the past couple of weeks, and very few new comments by those experiencing the new land on either of the two Pandora threads. It's like the land has dropped out of sight. The silence is saddening. :frown:...I thought there would be more people enthused enough about the new land to go experience it & post back. Go figure.
As some have pointed out this is a prominently Universal-driven board. I think it's just a matter of trying to make conclusions that aren't there.

Skipping to the point, we talk a lot about Fallon, VB, and pretty much everything Uni here and some pretty minuscule things get some pretty long threads. Disney gets brought up here and there. Over on more WDW-centric boards, you'll see a huge focus on Avatar and WDW at-large (many threads which would never garner more than a few pages here have hundreds on these other forums). Their Volcano Bay threads are very short, much like Avatar here.

You're not going to get a true focus on what is real on either a Universal or WDW-centric site as both sway so much more in one direction than the other.

Where we really need to look is to the general public for the reaction on new attractions as fans tend to overreact one way or the other.

I think the whole merchandise thing reflects the attitudes some posters may have about Disney/Universal. Let's be honest here. If Universal was constantly selling out of $60 banshees, would anyone call it a failure? I'd be inclined to think not.

I don't get why some here want Disney to fail. Their success pushes Universal to strive for greatness and vice versa.
I remember when Potter first open they quickly sold out of robes, and the infamous Pigmy Puffs. They didn't have replacement PP for months!!!

The only source that the article cites is the Touring Plans post, so that's really just recycled news.

I watched the Dis yesterday
At 8:40 they say Disney told them they have a hard time filling their rooms. That presumably never happened, John says. Can we conclude, although beautiful, Avatar Land doesn't draw in the crowds and business wise is a failure?
It makes me worried for the future because the land costed an obscene about of money. Will Disney cheap out (like they did with Toy Story Land) because they are afraid their return on investment will not live up to shareholders expectations?

Reactions: Mad Dog
my opinion...Disney has a hard time filling rooms because their hotel rates are ridiculous, they have way too many hotels on property competing for the same tourists, AND there is about 1,000 hotel chains located within a 5 mile radius competing for the same tourists. If they want more hotel guests, compete for them! Sorry for the rant.

I remember when Potter first open they quickly sold out of robes, and the infamous Pigmy Puffs. They didn't have replacement PP for months!!!
That was a huge failure on Universals part too. They lost millions in not being able to make those sales at the time those guests were there.

Here's my reasoning. If a local store that just opens has a product that is so popular it keeps selling out, that's great for business. People keep coming back, calling everyday, stopping in on the way to work, a buzz is created. But a destination theme park is completely different. Most people visit Orlando for a week once every so often. Sometimes just once in their lifetime. If a product isn't on the shelf, ready to buy at the moment they pass it, the park loses that sale for good. Most average guests don't even know the Banshee puppet is a thing. If they're not a Disney lifestyler, don't know it exists, and it's not in stock, Disney loses that potential sale. They're not coming back to check on it later.

It's easy to say they should have had more items in stock, but you have no idea what the actual manufacturing time and process is. It's highly possible this was the most Disney was able to provide given the logistics of their supply chain. Opening a brand new warehouse just for Banshee toys is obviously not realistic. The important thing is that they are selling, and selling well. Disney is still making a profit based on what they've spent to produce these toys.

Also, there is no doubt that slightly lower supply plays huge into demand and consumer purchasing. Just look at how Nintendo operates.

I think it's wrong to think that most theme park guests have no idea what's going on when they walk through the gates. With the almost required nature of Fastpass, and the shear amount of expense to take a Disney vacation, MOST consumers are pretty well versed in what's going on in the park. People don't spend thousands of dollars, and just expect to "show up" and figure it out. The internet has made all this research extremely simple.

my opinion...Disney has a hard time filling rooms because their hotel rates are ridiculous, they have way too many hotels on property competing for the same tourists, AND there is about 1,000 hotel chains located within a 5 mile radius competing for the same tourists. If they want more hotel guests, compete for them! Sorry for the rant.
But the amount of hotel rooms and insane prices never was a problem for them before. There were always much cheaper rooms be found on International Drive and Kissimmee. What do you thing changed?

But the amount of hotel rooms and insane prices never was a problem for them before. There were always much cheaper rooms be found on International Drive and Kissimmee. What do you thing changed?

The gap between those hotels and Disney hotels has only gotten wider. Last I checked the average attendance at Disney hasn't decreased dramatically. So unless more locals and less out of towners are coming, there is no other reason why they are having hotel issues .