Project 766 - Employee Parking Garage | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Project 766 - Employee Parking Garage

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
BTW, does anyone know how many parking spots are in the current TM parking lot?

Here's the breakdown of the how the parking lot was re-configured for Project 37:
iGCkfVomITlZM.jpg

And a map for reference:
iLorIRMwlt5jF.jpg

And a link to the .pdf:
http://my.sfwmd.gov/entsb/docdownload?object_id=0900eeea809649ed

^ A bollard is a post to prevent vehicles from entering certain a area and can also be used to protect objects such as fire hydrants, utility boxes, building ect. from vehicles. They are usually made out of steel tubing filed with concrete and mounted in or bolted to a concrete base.

What is a bollard, and someone tell me why they need raised crosswalks, or are they connected to the future garage?

A raised crosswalk basically acts as a large speed bump/hump and a higher level of visibility (theoretically) to drivers as to people/objects being in the crosswalk.

The seemingly city-wide infatuation with speed bumps/humps drives me (and I'm sure my car's suspension) nuts.

^ A bollard is a post to prevent vehicles from entering certain a area and can also be used to protect objects such as fire hydrants, utility boxes, building ect. from vehicles. They are usually made out of steel tubing filed with concrete and mounted in or bolted to a concrete base.

For the visual learners in the room:

steel-bollards.jpg

Here's the breakdown of the how the parking lot was re-configured for Project 37:

(snip, snip!)

And a link to the .pdf:
http://my.sfwmd.gov/entsb/docdownload?object_id=0900eeea809649ed

Once again, thank you very much, ParkRumors! :thumbs: Excellent!

Now, I'm gonna assume that probably everything but the regular spaces will remain the same. The interesting thing to find out would be how much of the area with regular spaces will be taken up by the new structure, and from that deduce how many new parking spots will be gained through this project. Keeping with the assumptions (which is all I can do and hope someone with info will correct me), let's say between a fourth and a third of the regular parking will be taken up for the new structure, that's between 628 and 838 spots taken away for approximately 2,100 new spots... they'd be gaining between 1200 and 1500 new spots. Again, these are ROUGH estimations, but if the math is even remotely close, that's pretty great! :cheers:

This comment from the Land Development permit for the new garage should answer most of your questions:

4. Parking - Per the site plan and analysis within this staff report, ±3,051 parking spaces shall be provided in the parking garage for employees for Universal Studios, with ±5,511 total parking spaces (ground and garage) spaces located in the employee lots on the west side of Universal Studios. No more than 458 garage spaces shall be compact spaces.

Doing the math, the "2,100 additional spaces" cited in the 766 permit only took into account the "new" spaces being added by the garage, not the actual number of spaces within it. The entire garage will have roughly 3,051 spaces, bringing the total parking space count of the employee parking lot to roughly 5,511.

Here's the link to the permit if you want to read all the comments from the Land Development Studio:
http://edviwr.cityoforlando.net/OrlandoWebPermits/permitting/login.aspx?CaseNumber=LDC2013-00243

Last edited:

You also see them in front of gas pumps to protect the pump from dumb drivers :lol:

We supply some of contractors with class 350 ductile iron pipe that they use for bollards.

Oh... by raised crosswalk they mean speed bumps??? I thought that it was describing an elevated walkway over the road.
They work as more than just speed bumps. The next time you're driving around look at how many people stop in the crosswalk at an intersection. Raised crosswalks alter the conditions of the road (the change in elevation is often combined with a stronger contrast than just painted lines, such as a different material) and are thus more successful at making drivers acknowledge the pedestrian right-of-way.

Last edited: