Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022) | Page 95 | Inside Universal Forums

Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
@Alicia Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but when we were there last week, I asked a TM if she knew any details besides new track. She said yes they were planning on laying down new track but also installing a whole new computer system for controlling the ride as the current system is pretty old.

As far as removing the cup of coffee video and movie set theme, yes that would indeed be sad. Universal seems hyper aware of their history and the fans nostalgia lately. While it all makes way too much sense to revamp it for first time riders like you said, they have to know there is a very large group of people they would be making angry by removing it. Every time we ride it, there is always someone else (besides us) that are saying that line at the end along with Brendan. That being said, on this trip my 8 year old daughter wanted to try riding it for the first time and we had to try and quickly explain Reggie as we went through the queue with her only seeing like 3 seconds of the queue video and then again explain the ending video.

It would be sad to see it change but if they did the ride experience would remain the same and I’m sure people would still say the line at the end. We also probably have countless YouTube POV’s if we need our fix of Brendan saying it. They better give us the golden cup of coffee in the treasure room though if they do take it away!
Interesting about new ride system!

I just rode twice today. First time several people knew the line and said it with him. Second ride no one knew and were EXTREMELY confused. Awkward silence and a few “that’s weird”. There really should be a happy medium.

As much as I love the nonsensical nature of the finale, I am all in favor of changing the ending to make a more cohesive experience. It'd be nice to keep Brenden Frasier in the ride in some way, especially sense the internet is renewing some interest in him. But I'm thankful that, new ending or not, this ride is going to be sticking around for a while longer.

Interesting about new ride system!

I just rode twice today. First time several people knew the line and said it with him. Second ride no one knew and were EXTREMELY confused. Awkward silence and a few “that’s weird”. There really should be a happy medium.
I wonder if the second was people staying at a deluxe and had express pass. You don't get the whole story if you do that right?

Reactions: WAJAS
I never got the queue experience to where the coffee finale made sense to me. It needed to be explained to me even when the ride first opened.

The "story" is easily the weakest part of the attraction and has been rightfully called out since the opening. This was a backstory spread over SEVERAL queue videos in random queue rooms but not the main queue room? The cup of coffee is celebrated not as some sort of master stroke of writing and delivery but because, without seeing the queue video, it's an insane nonsequitur. The actual plot of the ride itself is *fine* and just needs small touches to remove the backstory. I'm all for streamlining the story and plot into a one-sentence pitch.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "story" is easily the weakest part of the attraction and has been rightfully called out since the opening. This was a backstory spread over SEVERAL queue videos in random queue rooms but not the main queue room? The cup of coffee is celebrated not as some sort of master stroke of writing and delivery but because, without seeing the queue video, it's an insane nonsequitur. The actual plot of the ride itself is *fine* and just needs small touches to remove the backstory. I'm all for streamlining the story and plot into a one-sentence pitch.
Honestly, if they did away with “movie production,” and leaned heavier into the history museum aspect, it would be much clearer. Turn Reggie into a curator (or bring Brendan back to play a museum curator named Reginald). Put description placards on the walls, etc.

I do not understand everyone saying that they want to go all in on the museum theme. I understand that is the façade, but now where else in the attraction is it a museum. It’s an Egyptian Excavation Site/tomb/crypt.
Technically, the whole thing is a movie set.

And it’s not everybody—it’s me. And the disconnect between the facade and the inside is one of the biggest narrative sticking points of the current set-up. If the facade is a museum, then there should be some transition from museum to “not museum.”

Because larger museums have started leaning heavily into “themed” exhibitions, it would actually be really simple to just make a couple of the smaller rooms none Egyptian wings, and promote the ride as the museum’s, “newest way to experience the past.” Imhotep is inadvertently brought in as part of the exhibition, wakes up, and chaos. Apart from three rooms scenes in the ride, there is nothing screaming crypt either: it’s all black void and fake unload.

It’s not like would be hard, and it would give the whole thing much needed clarity in its story.