Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeaWorld Ends Orca Breeding

I was making a South Park reference.
LOL The one where cartman is on whale watchers. I got you.

But that really sucks that all the ride manufacturers are being extremely busy but at the same time not meeting standards. Some new company gonna swoop in here soon and take all their business if they don't fix things.

LOL The one where cartman is on whale watchers. I got you.

But that really sucks that all the ride manufacturers are being extremely busy but at the same time not meeting standards. Some new company gonna swoop in here soon and take all their business if they don't fix things.
This one.
latest

They still have a lot of work to do. SeaWorld is still synonymous with Blackfish. The reaction I get when I tell people I'm going to SeaWorld is usually like, "Yikes. Yeah, I wouldn't go there." Hope they continue to clean up their image.

They still have a lot of work to do. SeaWorld is still synonymous with Blackfish. The reaction I get when I tell people I'm going to SeaWorld is usually like, "Yikes. Yeah, I wouldn't go there." Hope they continue to clean up their image.

They will...if they continue to add to their ride line up and pushing their 'Sea World Rescue' program...if they don't then it will be bad for them

I think SeaWorld will be removing most of their animals over the next decade. Expect them to milk the publicity for all its worth. As soon as the goodwill from the breeding moratorium is at rock bottom, I'd expect an announcement about dolphins. That's how they're going to save the brand. Less animals, more rides.

I think SeaWorld will be removing most of their animals over the next decade. Expect them to milk the publicity for all its worth. As soon as the goodwill from the breeding moratorium is at rock bottom, I'd expect an announcement about dolphins. That's how they're going to save the brand. Less animals, more rides.

I honestly don't see them doing this. I do think they are going to be focusing on rescue more than shows. But I see them always have a large amount of animals. I think on the entertainment side they will move to more rides.

I honestly don't see them doing this. I do think they are going to be focusing on rescue more than shows. But I see them always have a large amount of animals. I think on the entertainment side they will move to more rides.

I'd agree with this.

The Blackfish backlash gathered a lot of momentum and isn't going away anytime soon. Here in the UK the BBC has aired it and Sky news again jumped on the bandwagon with this latest incident in Spain. As we all know, the bad press has severely hurt SW and the only way I can see them saving themselves is to change their business model, rides themed to the animals and a focus on conservation seem to be the future.

Ironically, if the campaigners and bad press eventually forces SW out of business (god forbid) the animals they are trying so hard to "save "would be in a far worse predicament than they are now.

SW does so much good for marine life yet rarely do the press focus on that.

I wouldn't want to see Universal buy Seaworld at all. Competition is great and Seaworld have no option but to improve to survive. Without that competition we probably wouldn't have a new 200ft coaster to enjoy.

Sea World being around is actually an advantage to Universal. It's more reason for a tourist to do a non Disney vacation. Easy to do a week with IOA, USF, Volcano Bay, and Sea World. Universal doesn't need to own SeaWorld , just to use it as something else to do on a non Disney vacation. and once Universal has three parks, it will actually be like a fourth park. And the plus is that Universal doesn't have to sink any money into Sea World, while utilizing tourists staying at & spending money in Universal hotels.

Yeah that Spain incident is a stretch to make Sea World's fault. It is a park not owned by Sea World and they are projecting that the Orca was trying to "kill itself". Where I have heard that the Orca is Deaf and gets easily confused. Again, the solution of idiots is to free these Orca's into the open seas which would be a death sentence to these whales. And just like UK-trigg said, if they manage to bankrupt Sea World they will end up hurting a ton of animals. I just don't understand people who say they want the best for an animal and then try to close a company that saves 1000s of animals.

I think you are nuts. They aren't getting rid of the Orcas, it'll be 30 plus years before they are gone. The other shows will go on, just watch. The Orcas were big and few parks have them and that made for easy targeting, the rest is much more widespread, especially Dolphins. China is going to take up the Orca Slack, just watch and see. Nope, if anything they are going to expand animal interactions

We were at SeaWorld San Antonio this past weekend. We got to see their new area for Discovery Point Dolphin interaction. Very, very nice.

My kids did a Beluga Interaction with Beluga as we have done the dolphins at Discovery Cove. The trainers did nothing but education on the animals from orientation to the interactions itself.

Sea World San Antonio is a bit different. It needs more rides but in the past few years, they have redone their sea lion area, Aquatica offers a fantastic Stingray area where a touch is free, food is only 5 bucks and an in water interaction is 20 a person. Oh, a raft ride floats underneath it too.

Roa's Aviary is included with Aquatic as well and is rather new, the lazy river passes the it much like Discovery Cove but offers walk thru and feeding opportunities as well as a rather secluded pool.

Nope, most everything new there has been animal interaction oriented, I suspect they'll dress up the Beluga holding area soon.

As for the Orca show, that's why we went. To get one last one in. I'm curious on how they tackle turning the arena into a viewing only area. That's the best orca venue of all of them, totally covered.

SeaWorld SA has sooooooooooooooo much room for new stuff it's just silly.

One other thing, some report I recently read was where someone saw two orcas doing the fandango on their own. I know the breeding program has stopped but what's to prevent a natural occurrance. I suppose they know that odds are good they'll still get a couple of calfs.

This Spain thing is really blown out of proportion. I was looking for Mako stuff on Twitter and this was out there everywhere. People keep saying it was a Sea World park.

So I researched this more and it seems this Orca was never on Sea World property. Some Dutch company rescued it and never put it back in the sea. I am not even sure at what point Sea World took ownership of it. It was under weight and by itself when rescued. I imagine they discovered it was deaf and that is why it was never returned as it would have probably ended up in the same situation.

Last edited:
This Spain thing is really blown out of proportion. I was looking for Mako stuff on Twitter and this was out there everywhere. People keep saying it was a Sea World park.

So I researched this more and it seems this Orca was never on Sea World property. Some Dutch company rescued it and never put it back in the sea. I am not even sure at what point Sea World took ownership of it. It was under weight and by itself when rescued. I imagine they discovered it was deaf and that is why it was never returned as it would have probably ended up in the same situation.

In other words, it would likely be dead without captivity.