Shanghai Disneyland | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

Shanghai Disneyland

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jack looks awesome. But I am always painfully aware that I am looking at a robot on a 10 sec. loop. Especially when the boats back up in the treasure scene and you get to watch Jack do his thing 4 times. Talk about Uncanny Valley! It's like 2001 meets Kingdom Keepers with a pinch of "Stepford Wives"/Westworld" stirred in.

Westworld. That is exactly what I think when I see people animatronics.

Let's just remember that the park is not open yet and that was one video. If on opening day it's not working, then i'd say criticism is more warranted.

This is true. The park does not open until June 17th. So you expect some things to be not working properly. Since they are in technical rehearsals they can get away with crap like this. Let's see if it is better opening day.

Also, Disney is not known for getting you wet on their "wet" rides. I think they do this because some people want to get slightly wet, but not soaked and this allows more people to ride them. Disney is all about their rides appealing to a wider range of people.

I don't care that the AA doesn't work, what appalls me is the mechanics exposed. I can only imagine that WDI was forced into giving it over to operations, there's zero chance they would have let it open like that otherwise.
The Roaring Rapids ride was only open to cast members of this ride that day for testing.

Reactions: rioriz
It's because it is another sprawling country and Hong Kong is about a 6 hour flight away from Shanghai. Besides Shanghai is the largest city in China so attendance probably be through the roof.
It's a 3-hour flight between HK and Shanghai. And it also take only 3 hours from Shanghai to Tokyo.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Mice Chat has an article on the new Shanghai park from a group of designers' perspective. It's pretty critical & not very glowing. They say the park feels barren, empty and is missing much of the Disney vibe. The article states "the park has a long climb to be a major tourist destination" and that "It's not ready for prime time". But they do have good words for Peter Pan, Tron and calls Pirates "a triumph". They question the budget since the park doesn't look like it should cost that much. They say the very short Main street(Mickey Street), and no park berm. and no transportation in & around the park makes it feel incomplete. Anyway, it's a pretty long article. It has some nice things to say, but probably has more negative than positive comments.

Last edited:
I have to keep unlikeing bioreconstruct... either he drones about race events and now he is apparently in Shanghai droning on. He is prolific... and that's not a compliment.

I have to keep unlikeing bioreconstruct... either he drones about race events and now he is apparently in Shanghai droning on. He is prolific... and that's not a compliment.

Considering he does a lot of stuff for Attractions; that can probably be why he can do so much crap in a given time..

OK. I just looked at MC, so here's the rides that would have been open on day 2, for the entire park. *Jet Packs *Peter Pan *Winnie the Pooh *Pirates *Soarin *Buzz Lightyear *Tron and the flat ride Hunny Pot Spin. Not much to ride there today.

How can they have full attraction closures on the second day of official opening? :lol:

I am guessing the attraction closures may be part of why the opening celebration special on the Disney channel tonight really only showed the concert at took place in front of Storybook Castle. I think there was less than 2 minutes of anything from the park that wasn't the castle. Most of the previous park opening specials would show at least some overview of the parks and possibly future expansion plans.

I am guessing the attraction closures may be part of why the opening celebration special on the Disney channel tonight really only showed the concert at took place in front of Storybook Castle. I think there was less than 2 minutes of anything from the park that wasn't the castle. Most of the previous park opening specials would show at least some overview of the parks and possibly future expansion plans.
Kind of not much there to do right now. Disney Hollywood Studio's number of open attractions & shows, or less.