Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Shanghai Disneyland

I think it's still too early to tell if it's a success but it's not a catastrophic failure.

I think it is highly unlikely you will hear if it IS a failure. The Chinese government has a stake in making it appear to be the most successful theme park in the world.

I think it's still too early to tell if it's a success but it's not a catastrophic failure.
It will be a success eventually guaranteed. China has a crapload of people entering the middle/upper class. The question is will there be enough for the growth and expansion plans to move forward.

Doesn't sound like it will make that 27 million guest number they were bandying about. But, then again, that's an unrealistic figure.
Unless they have some never before seen ride capacity on everything 27 million would be absurd considering the amount of attractions they have. Lets take one ride that holds the most at 2500 per hour. That is 13,687,500 at max at 15 hours per day assuming Disneyland is open 365 days a year. How many attractions can one get done in such a long day? That seems like a pretty large divide. Consider Disneyland is around 19.5 mil per year at this point in the us. I mean if you wanted to get 27 mil at that capacity you would have to be pretty dumb to not be building another park. If they were confident in that number they would already be building like crazy.

Unless they have some never before seen ride capacity on everything 27 million would be absurd considering the amount of attractions they have. Lets take one ride that holds the most at 2500 per hour. That is 13,687,500 at max at 15 hours per day assuming Disneyland is open 365 days a year. How many attractions can one get done in such a long day? That seems like a pretty large divide. Consider Disneyland is around 19.5 mil per year at this point in the us. I mean if you wanted to get 27 mil at that capacity you would have to be pretty dumb to not be building another park. If they were confident in that number they would already be building like crazy.
Exactly. And they don't have half the attractions that WDW does. It's a huge park size wise, but it's pretty sparse when it comes to attractions, especially if there's been so much attraction down time, if rumors are correct.

Have to give them their due and say they are building (what should have opened at day one) so maybe they can flesh this out but how long til they get their 5 - 6 bil investment and what cut the Chi-coms will take is up for discussion. I think this will be long past Iger's departure before it gets the money back and even longer before it makes money for TWDC.

27 million is World's Fair type numbers. No way could whats there support that kind of crowd.

Have to give them their due and say they are building (what should have opened at day one) so maybe they can flesh this out but how long til they get their 5 - 6 bil investment and what cut the Chi-coms will take is up for discussion. I think this will be long past Iger's departure before it gets the money back and even longer before it makes money for TWDC.
Well there is a whole Toy Story Land that is apparently finally being built. You'll notice it was part of the original concept art and many of the buildings were built retroactively for backstage stuff.

Opening with only 14 attractions, they can't be expecting too many guests. Certainly not 27 million. I'm figuring they are/were expecting about 4-5 million this year, and about 8-9 million a year for the first couple of years.

"In fact, it’s SO popular, that the expansion began before Shanghai Disneyland opened (Shanghai Disney Resort also features an unbelievable hotel inspired by the series)"

Classic Disney spin. "We didn't cheap out on building the whole thing, we started early!" I'm sure they will just "have" to cut Orlando to pay for it.

"In fact, it’s SO popular, that the expansion began before Shanghai Disneyland opened (Shanghai Disney Resort also features an unbelievable hotel inspired by the series)"

Classic Disney spin. "We didn't cheap out on building the whole thing, we started early!" I'm sure they will just "have" to cut Orlando to pay for it.
They did it early because it was a part of the original plans for the park. They aren't being proactive, the opposite in fact.