Shanghai Disneyland | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Shanghai Disneyland

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It's a much quicker glimpse of it than I would've expected but it looks great.

I just can't believe the mechanics of the Croc is exposed. Push really came to shove here.

And yeah, I echo Skip's sentiments. This is an identical layout to Grizzly (with what seems like a small part of the trough taken out in the middle) and while some elements certainly are interesting, such as the lighting, the colors of the caves and rockwork, the AA's placement and even that little whirlpool prior to the drop... overall this is just boring.

The mountain itself is still gorgeous as hell.
go watch a new video
it looks much better now
its darker nothing is exposed nad the AA croc is pretty cool looking with the way it moves

Now that the gator/dino/whatever is working, it looks nice...but it doesn't change the fact the ride looks really bland.

If a whitewater raft ride doesn't really get you wet, then hopefully it has a lot of great scenery/theming to make up for it. However this ride just doesn't have that, it's the same rockwork after the same rockwork. Sure it has the AA, but that's just a tiny segment of the whole thing. Also it's placement feels a bit odd, I'd have it before/after the last big drop so it has a nice finale.

Looks like fun, but did anyone get wet? Actually, it doesn't seem to be as fun & entertaining as Bilge Rat Barges.

I agree that looks boring. The people on the ride looked kinda bored. It seems like they could have added so many interactive things. Just riding along and barely getting wet? Boring

Reactions: Mad Dog
I agree that looks boring. The people on the ride looked kinda bored. It seems like they could have added so many interactive things. Just riding along and barely getting wet? Boring
Yeah, if you're not going to get wet on a water ride, it needs to be as amazing as Splash Mountain, which this doesn't appear to be. Looks like fun, but not in the class of the great water rides. Like Shiekra joked, kind of like Kali River Rapids with an added Grizzley Peak, or a small step above.

Now that the gator/dino/whatever is working, it looks nice...but it doesn't change the fact the ride looks really bland.

If a whitewater raft ride doesn't really get you wet, then hopefully it has a lot of great scenery/theming to make up for it. However this ride just doesn't have that, it's the same rockwork after the same rockwork. Sure it has the AA, but that's just a tiny segment of the whole thing. Also it's placement feels a bit odd, I'd have it before/after the last big drop so it has a nice finale.
Disney has never aimed to get guests drenched on water rides. If you look at their history with water rides not in water-parks, they mostly only aim to mist you (unless you are that one person in the exact right spot).

I agree the scenery/story should be better though.

After looking at everything, I am at a loss as to how this park could have cost what it did.
Yeah, for what it cost, there could easily be close to double the rides if not more. I mean, SDMT was a clone and Hunny Pot Spin is a tea cup ride, Dumbo and Jet Packs are spinners, Pooh is similar to the WDW version and their Buzz isn't anything special (sort of similar to DL). Roaring Rapids, even with an impressive AA (that'll probably break), is just like any other rapids ride. Tron is cool, but it's RNRC level short.

The only thing going for the park is it's version of Pirates and Peter Pan. Also, no castle needs to be that big. It's just unnecessary.

Reactions: UNIrd
After looking at everything, I am at a loss as to how this park could have cost what it did.
The park seems underwhelming. Three really great new rides (Pirates, Tron, new Peter Pan), but the park just seems to occupy a lot of empty acreage. Huge spaces, little substance. A very sparse collection of rides for a Magic Kingdom oriented park. Maybe it cost so much since they needed to rebuild so much of the park (due to original lax building standards), plus pay for the graft that China's corrupt political/economic system is centered around. I really wanted to be impressed by this park, but it leaves me as empty as the park is. They have about as much actual ride attractions as Hong Kong Disney in triple the space. Perhaps in 5 to 10 years, if expansions happen, it'll be a better park. But it's certainly not there at this point in time. A prime example of bigger is not always better, especially when there isn't much substance in that bigger. I could imagine how long the ride lines will be if they get Magic Kingdom or Disneyland 70,000 to 90,000 a day peak crowds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clive
The park seems underwhelming. Three really great new rides (Pirates, Tron, new Peter Pan), but the park just seems to occupy a lot of empty acreage. Huge spaces, little substance. A very sparse collection of rides for a Magic Kingdom oriented park. Maybe it cost so much since they needed to rebuild so much of the park (due to original lax building standards), plus pay for the graft that China's corrupt political/economic system is centered around. I really wanted to be impressed by this park, but it leaves me as empty as the park is. They have about as much actual ride attractions as Hong Kong Disney in triple the space. Perhaps in 5 to 10 years, if expansions happen, it'll be a better park. But it's certainly not there at this point in time. A prime example of bigger is not always better, especially when there isn't much substance in that bigger. I could imagine how long the ride lines will be if they get Magic Kingdom or Disneyland 70,000 to 90,000 a day peak crowds.

I would guess a lot of that money went to buy real estate in the US. Lots of investment from China in that area here.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I would guess a lot of that money went to buy real estate in the US. Lots of investment from China in that area here.
The money is pouring out of the country, just like it poured out of Hong Kong right before China took possession from the British. Now it's flowing out due to the political uncertainty in China and to hide it from the government.

Reactions: JoeCamel