Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 21 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kinda on the fence of the kong head, looks kinda ridiculous if you look at it. I'm not really a fan of facades that kinda blow their theme right at the beginning, stuff like spiderman and dinosaur. Like there's no reason for the giant kong head, it was never in the movie and it doesn't really fit the skull island look. It also seems to block the temple too witch is a bummer. It's just overkill really, for the tourist who are too stupid to realize the humongous temple in the park is the new kong ride. I don't know maybe it'll look better in person, but to me it's kinda like adding a big yeti head in front of Everest, like yeah

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kinda on the fence of the kong head, looks kinda ridiculous if you look at it.

Yeah, I am somewhat torn as well. The good news is that I am sure this was debated ad nauseam within UC.

It's in the same vein as the dragon atop Gringotts... I hate it, but when I see how popular it is with the general public, I must acquiesce.

Reactions: Cole
kingkong_modelship1.jpg

The kong head IS from the movie. But since it's impractical to ride a boat to the ride we walk in on land and hence the head is on land now too. It may be more stylized now but it's there.

Unfortunately, you must announce certain things to guests visiting the parks...i.e. Dragon on Gringotts, Optimus on Transformers, Kong on...Kong

A good example is how people think the LC is the LOTR or 'Game of Thrones' area of the park

Reactions: Ash and Cole
kingkong_modelship1.jpg

The kong head IS from the movie. But since it's impractical to ride a boat to the ride we walk in on land and hence the head is on land now too. It may be more stylized now but it's there.
meh that's more like a blob with a face on it, that rock is kong through and through. There's a reason for everything and I'm sure the kong head has a good reason. I just see it as a distraction to the far superior temple facade. One of my favorite signs in theme park history is the indiana jones adventure sign, It's tiny, small but noticeable and to the point, just how it should be. It doesn't take away from anything and makes me feel like I'm going on "the indiana jones ride", It points you to the general direction of the temple where the real ride starts. I like to be immersed, I don't feel like I walked into the daily bugle, I feel like I just walked through a giant cut out with huge letters saying "SPIDERMAN" sprawled across it. Sure the attraction starts in the queue but still, it's distracting. A sign should be like a title card in a movie, to the point, not flashy and quick. I rather walk inside hogwarts or the hollywood tower hotel with a cool, subtle lighting sign than optimus prime breathing down your neck

I'm not really understanding the hate for the sign. At the end of the day, it's still a ride and it needs its name to be displayed. At least it's not using the entire name on there.

As for the comparison to the movie, in the film Gringotts doesn't have Harry Potter written on its side.

The only thing that this should be compared to is Poseidon's Fury. Massive, beautiful temple facade that still has its name embedded in the rock work.

On the contrary regarding title shots, Cole; they are probably the first truly immersive sequence in a film. They end the opening credits, and give the film its feel (font choice, display of graphics, motion design, etc. all play a part in establishing the film from the beginning). This is a similar concept, and it's in no way tacky, like you're suggesting. It's foreboding having to walk underneath a looming skull with KONG right next to it. The temple shot can be seen from various angles, the only time you have to see the entrance arch is when you want to enter the queue space. I just think you're being a bit nit-picky, and this is coming from a lil meticulous like me lol.

I do have a slight problem with the almost monotonous color scheme of the rockwork, but I have reason to believe that some really nice mosses are going to add some green and rusty red to certain areas, not to mention the foliage and rest of the rockwork. It's clear UC wanted to make the temple and rockwork darker to intimidate visually, but they've got people with eyes for color. It's definitely not done yet.

Question: How close will guests be to the RVs when they bend around outside heading towards the temple? And at what elevation?

Last edited by a moderator:
...Like there's no reason for the giant kong head, it was never in the movie and it doesn't really fit the skull island look. It also seems to block the temple too witch is a bummer...

The archway with the Kong head does not block the temple as it is actually far away and to the right of the temple, so as long as you're coming from the Toon Lagoon side you will still have a clear view of the temple for a long walk down the walkway. Also, once you walk through the arch into the outdoor portions of the queue you will have an unobstructed view of the temple.

The arch isn't really that big, so you could easily stand right to the left or right of it and get a clear picture of the temple gate without it blocking at all.

I agree it's nitpicky of me, it's just a sign overall, I just really care about this francise so I can't help it if I geek out over the tiniest things lol. I disagree with the title shots, sure they display mood and there is alot that goes into them but they only last a couple seconds. That's good to hear, the concept art made it seem gigantic but hey thats concept art for ya

The archway with the Kong head does not block the temple as it is actually far away and to the right of the temple, so as long as you're coming from the Toon Lagoon side you will still have a clear view of the temple for a long walk down the walkway. Also, once you walk through the arch into the outdoor portions of the queue you will have an unobstructed view of the temple.

The arch isn't really that big, so you could easily stand right to the left or right of it and get a clear picture of the temple gate without it blocking at all.

The arch is also not even completed... :lol: I don't get it.

Question: How close will guests be to the RVs when they bend around outside heading towards the temple? And at what elevation?

If the plans haven't changed I think the extended outdoor portion of the queue wraps around the outdoor track, like running right beside it. But the track will be blocked somewhat by bamboo or some other wall/fence that looks like it was made by the natives. I'm sure you'll still be able to see the cars passing by though, I think the fences are to block the people waiting from the ride cars' view, not visa versa.

Edit: Okay, I do think the outdoor track will be raised, and the queue around it will be lower, after asking someone in the know. Again, based on old plans though, so who knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: violarum
The arch is also not even completed... :lol: I don't get it.

Sorry, I should've said, the arch isn't going to be that big. I was just responding to Cole about the arch blocking view of the temple, which isn't at all the case. The arch will be tiny by comparison, and being off the right side still leaves lots of unobstructed view of the temple.

Sorry, I should've said, the arch isn't going to be that big. I was just responding to Cole about the arch blocking view of the temple, which isn't at all the case. The arch will be tiny by comparison, and being off the right side still leaves lots of unobstructed view of the temple.

Oh, I wasn't picking on you. Just merely adding on to your point. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Alicia
I agree it's nitpicky of me, it's just a sign overall, I just really care about this francise so I can't help it if I geek out over the tiniest things lol. I disagree with the title shots, sure they display mood and there is alot that goes into them but they only last a couple seconds. That's good to hear, the concept art made it seem gigantic but hey thats concept art for ya
I personally think it's very foreshadowing of what is coming..

Also this has probably been tossed around UC a ton and it is done with intention behind it..

We will get used to it, just like Optimus

The entire concept reminds me of Poseidon's Fury, while the arch, to me anyway, is reminiscent of the original Dueling Dragons queue entrance. I think any naysayers will be singing a different tune once it's life-size.

-Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.