Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 216 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Trackless vehicles do fine with fog. Energy, when working correctly, would have the vehicles enter the first diorama scene in about 2-3 feet of dense fog.

The intrusion systems moreso rely on beams. In trackless rides the vehicles tend to have bumpers (since they theoretically could run into anything so having intrusion mats and beams can't protect everything.. It's in the item making contact.)

Trackless vehicles do fine with fog. Energy, when working correctly, would have the vehicles enter the first diorama scene in about 2-3 feet of dense fog.

The intrusion systems moreso rely on beams. In trackless rides the vehicles tend to have bumpers (since they theoretically could run into anything so having intrusion mats and beams can't protect everything.. It's in the item making contact.)
Almost completely forgot about that.

Reactions: RMichael21
I think the ones in the seats are sandbags, the pressure vessel has been in the driver's position every vid I have seen of the RV running the track.

If that's a pressure vessel or gas tank of some sort what is the purpose? And how is that reconciled with the windows and the lack of a driver? Because if it's a tank of some sort it will stay there, no? So they can't put some sort of real thing in its place.. And it's very visible through all the windows.

I can't imagine they're going to black out all the windows.

This is universal so maybe it will hold water to spray on you during the ride? I do agree the placement is odd.

Looks to be 40 gallons or so. That would be 320 lbs of water. Maybe the driver needs to diet?

Reactions: Ryno27
Wait, excuse me?

Also, where's this RSR cost $200 million? Everything I've heard suggests at MUCH higher price tag. Also how can we forget Avatar being significantly more than budgeted.

And finally Nintendo is coming to USJ and UOR the same year. The project is sharing development costs.
(Full Disclosure I'm new here, LOL)
Given that 18% of the $1.1 billion expansion and redevelopment of DCA was devoted towards RSR (18% is about $200 million give or take) and we know that the $1.1 billion was never increased, that's what I'm basing the 200 figure on. Also, Disney was very happy to keep that project on budget, hence why Bob Weis is the new head of WDI. Also, it's been rumored that WDI wanted more money for Avatar after seeing Diagon Alley, they wanted to make it much more competitive. So the rumored ballooning budget could simply be the "new budget" rather than "over-budget".

Are you certain that Nintendo is coming to UOR in 2020? I simply can't imagine that being the case. US Beijing+Nintendo Japan costs are already enough pressure on the budgets to force other parks to concede to smaller attractions within the 2018-2020(maybe even 2021) timeframe, not to mention the possibility of a DA expansion at USH (I'm bearish on the idea myself, but who knows, could happen). Add to that the vastly different levels of interest in Nintendo between Japan and the US. Nintendo has lost a whole generation of fans through their failure to expand into outside platforms, like mobile, and insist that their games be played on their own platforms (Wii U, 3DS, neither of which are performing well at all; Microsoft and Sony really cleaned house this generation of consoles). I mean, when having a Wii U today is an insult you know something is wrong. However, Japan is Nintendo's home turf and maintains strong nostalgic feelings. In the US/western world, Nintendo/Mario is a household name, but it's height is long past even a distant memory to many. Given this I don't think Nintendo in Orlando is very important to Universal. Especially as an IP to replace KidsZone, when the overwhelming majority of pre-teens today have no emotional connection or experience with Nintendo's characters. As we've seen with the other recent transplants the sharing of development costs doesn't necessarily mean less money spent. According to LA Times, HP at USH is costing Universal $500 million, whereas it cost just above $250 million at UOR (CNN article).

TL;DR
Moving on:topic:(haha love the emoji's on this site)

I have a few questions about the Kong attraction.
1. Given the huge costs of implementing trackless tech, what about the ride experience makes trackless a necessity?
2. If one of these 17 ton ride vehicles malfunctions, how exactly are they going to clear the path quickly?

Reactions: Ryno27
I have a few questions about the Kong attraction.
1. Given the huge costs of implementing trackless tech, what about the ride experience makes trackless a necessity?
2. If one of these 17 ton ride vehicles malfunctions, how exactly are they going to clear the path quickly?

Those are good questions. I have no idea on 1. Number 2 has happened, and it wasn't pretty. They appear to have no clean and simple and quick solutions. Once the walls come down, it will be obvious and embarrassing unless they come up with something clever. I am certain they will over time. They're learning fast what not to do. ;)

Those are good questions. I have no idea on 1. Number 2 has happened, and it wasn't pretty. They appear to have no clean and simple and quick solutions. Once the walls come down, it will be obvious and embarrassing unless they come up with something clever. I am certain they will over time. They're learning fast what not to do. ;)
Hmm..interesting. Would you say that glitches have been more or less frequent in comparison to other new attractions since 2010?