Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 217 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Like Energy and Great Movie Ride there are probably manual controls to push a vehicle out of sight. Forbidden Journey vehicles are guided by a tech with an tablet that attaches via umbilical cord. Yes those are on a track but it controls all the motions to get them where needed. Same as the manual controls on Energy and GMR.

Like Energy and Great Movie Ride there are probably manual controls to push a vehicle out of sight. Forbidden Journey vehicles are guided by a tech with an tablet that attaches via umbilical cord. Yes those are on a track but it controls all the motions to get them where needed. Same as the manual controls on Energy and GMR.
I don't know. We're talking 17 tons here, that's 6 Chevrolet Tahoes. I think they're going to need something much stronger than whatever FJ or GMR has. Plus, as you said, those are all track based.

Reactions: Ryno27
(Full Disclosure I'm new here, LOL)
Given that 18% of the $1.1 billion expansion and redevelopment of DCA was devoted towards RSR (18% is about $200 million give or take) and we know that the $1.1 billion was never increased, that's what I'm basing the 200 figure on. Also, Disney was very happy to keep that project on budget, hence why Bob Weis is the new head of WDI. Also, it's been rumored that WDI wanted more money for Avatar after seeing Diagon Alley, they wanted to make it much more competitive. So the rumored ballooning budget could simply be the "new budget" rather than "over-budget".

Are you certain that Nintendo is coming to UOR in 2020? I simply can't imagine that being the case. US Beijing+Nintendo Japan costs are already enough pressure on the budgets to force other parks to concede to smaller attractions within the 2018-2020(maybe even 2021) timeframe, not to mention the possibility of a DA expansion at USH (I'm bearish on the idea myself, but who knows, could happen). Add to that the vastly different levels of interest in Nintendo between Japan and the US. Nintendo has lost a whole generation of fans through their failure to expand into outside platforms, like mobile, and insist that their games be played on their own platforms (Wii U, 3DS, neither of which are performing well at all; Microsoft and Sony really cleaned house this generation of consoles). I mean, when having a Wii U today is an insult you know something is wrong. However, Japan is Nintendo's home turf and maintains strong nostalgic feelings. In the US/western world, Nintendo/Mario is a household name, but it's height is long past even a distant memory to many. Given this I don't think Nintendo in Orlando is very important to Universal. Especially as an IP to replace KidsZone, when the overwhelming majority of pre-teens today have no emotional connection or experience with Nintendo's characters. As we've seen with the other recent transplants the sharing of development costs doesn't necessarily mean less money spent. According to LA Times, HP at USH is costing Universal $500 million, whereas it cost just above $250 million at UOR (CNN article).

TL;DR
Moving on:topic:(haha love the emoji's on this site)

I have a few questions about the Kong attraction.
1. Given the huge costs of implementing trackless tech, what about the ride experience makes trackless a necessity?
2. If one of these 17 ton ride vehicles malfunctions, how exactly are they going to clear the path quickly?

tl;dr

You're assuming Nintendo is going to USB.

I don't know. We're talking 17 tons here, that's 6 Chevrolet Tahoes. I think they're going to need something much stronger than whatever FJ or GMR has. Plus, as you said, those are all track based.

I know other attractions will use tethers or the "bumper car" method to move disabled vehicles to the maintenance bays. I'm sure neither is preferred, but that's just something that comes with the territory of having it out in guest view.

Unless teebin was wrong about there being a guidewire/pucks along the track, it'll work nearly exactly like GMR and Energy.

The system switches into "repo" mode where the wire/pucks just have a constant signal to allow the vehicles to find it. They move extremely slowly and are manually driven until they "find" the embedded track again if they've gone off.

At that point it's just a matter of manual acceleration to relocate them. And they can just be driven - each section of the wheels can be controlled independently and it takes some practice and skill, but these vehicle work nearly the same way per the informational videos about how they work on the docks.

And the things they're very likely to hit at some point, like maintenance bay doors and protruding rockwork/scenery will likely be constructed in the same fail-safe manner.. by being made out of foam.

(Full Disclosure I'm new here, LOL)
Given that 18% of the $1.1 billion expansion and redevelopment of DCA was devoted towards RSR (18% is about $200 million give or take) and we know that the $1.1 billion was never increased, that's what I'm basing the 200 figure on. Also, Disney was very happy to keep that project on budget, hence why Bob Weis is the new head of WDI. Also, it's been rumored that WDI wanted more money for Avatar after seeing Diagon Alley, they wanted to make it much more competitive. So the rumored ballooning budget could simply be the "new budget" rather than "over-budget".

Are you certain that Nintendo is coming to UOR in 2020? I simply can't imagine that being the case. US Beijing+Nintendo Japan costs are already enough pressure on the budgets to force other parks to concede to smaller attractions within the 2018-2020(maybe even 2021) timeframe, not to mention the possibility of a DA expansion at USH (I'm bearish on the idea myself, but who knows, could happen). Add to that the vastly different levels of interest in Nintendo between Japan and the US. Nintendo has lost a whole generation of fans through their failure to expand into outside platforms, like mobile, and insist that their games be played on their own platforms (Wii U, 3DS, neither of which are performing well at all; Microsoft and Sony really cleaned house this generation of consoles). I mean, when having a Wii U today is an insult you know something is wrong. However, Japan is Nintendo's home turf and maintains strong nostalgic feelings. In the US/western world, Nintendo/Mario is a household name, but it's height is long past even a distant memory to many. Given this I don't think Nintendo in Orlando is very important to Universal. Especially as an IP to replace KidsZone, when the overwhelming majority of pre-teens today have no emotional connection or experience with Nintendo's characters. As we've seen with the other recent transplants the sharing of development costs doesn't necessarily mean less money spent. According to LA Times, HP at USH is costing Universal $500 million, whereas it cost just above $250 million at UOR (CNN article).

TL;DR
Moving on:topic:(haha love the emoji's on this site)

I have a few questions about the Kong attraction.
1. Given the huge costs of implementing trackless tech, what about the ride experience makes trackless a necessity?
2. If one of these 17 ton ride vehicles malfunctions, how exactly are they going to clear the path quickly?

Something that I think you may be overlooking is the benifits of Nintendo being developed and built at both Orlando and Japan at the same time, something testtrack pointed out earlier. It is a cost cutting measure, with each park sharing the development costs associated with it. In the bigger picture, while it is a far larger sum of money up front, in the long run it actually saves them money. And the Wii U has underperformed, but saying they lost a whole generation is a big stretch. The Wii is one of the fastest and best selling game systems in history, and the Wii U history only stretch back a few years. It's failure, while financially a problem, has done little to diminish the awareness of the Nintendo brand.

Universal has hit their stride and ushered in a golden era for the parks. Regardless of what was said in the past by Comcast, I think the success of Diagon Alley has reinvigorated them and really made them see the value of continuous expansion to the resort. Their recent actions only seems to strengthen that line of reasoning.

:topic:

I've missed a lot on this thread recently. Catching up has been a rather interesting read. How bad are the issues with the wireless tracking system currently? It seems like things are chugging along, so I hope they have started to find solid solutions to the issue.

Reactions: Mike S
They appear to have a solid timeline to resolve any problems that may or may not remain. They don't seem to be concerned.

First meeting of the opening team members is already set to happen very soon.

Also: seeing everything we've seen, anyone else feel like the whole high speed aspect that was hyped before we saw the vehicle outside was a complete load of crap?

I'd have to go back to find the exact wording the design folks used, but to me it implied we'd dash around that turn rather quickly... As of now it sort of drifts along at a speed we could probably outrun easily.

I wouldn't watch the ride online until experiencing it in person. I really regret all the videos I watched of diagon before going in it. The only thing I didn't do watch was the actual gringotts ride, went over the queue though. You just lose a bit of the excitement of actually being there and experiencing something brand spanking new all on your own. Plan to not do anything and ride it as soon as humanly possible to not get spoilers on it later. Curiosity kills kittens

If there is anyone with a great zoom camera that can take a super close up of the ride track, as in 20' of it filling the frame at hires. A few pictures of various areas would be great. Closer up of nothing but concrete might be helpful too; stay center. I will explain soon. Anyone there today?

Also: seeing everything we've seen, anyone else feel like the whole high speed aspect that was hyped before we saw the vehicle outside was a complete load of crap?

I'd have to go back to find the exact wording the design folks used, but to me it implied we'd dash around that turn rather quickly... As of now it sort of drifts along at a speed we could probably outrun easily.

With the vehicle having rear steering, it will be bale to manoeuvre around tighter corners. Although it might not be moving quickly, the quick turns could make it feel faster than it actually is. I'd compare it to a wild mouse and a hyper coaster.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Nothing against you, but i think comparing it to any type of coaster for the sensation of speed is way divorced from what the reality will be if it remains at the slow speed we've seen thus far.

It's still a relevant point. Rides like Dinosaur and Spider-Man create a sensation of speed. All we've seen so far is testing and rides like this will always start testing at a slower speed than the final ride.