Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 288 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Currently waiting in Glasgow airport and meant to be travelling to see my friend. Do I risk it and use my virgin air miles tomorrow morning for a shot at Kong?

Was chatting with "He who must not be named" late last night,
apparently it's getting some mixed reviews from cast members that have been allowed to ride so far. There was also apparently a breakdown Wednesday evening after hours while the cast members were riding.

To elaborate a little more without giving away too much about the "drivers". Apparently they could be easily removed and it's already being talked about as being nothing more than a test that's dispensable if they become a running gag that could simply be replaced by cast members with a script. I don't feel that would happen though only because by getting rid of the AA driver they would have to change up a good chunk of their marketing concerning the explorers.

Last but not least and I'll keep this vague....the "main attraction" is impressive but not to the point where maintenance/breakdowns will be a constant concern.

apparently it's getting some mixed reviews from cast members that have been allowed to ride so far. There was also apparently a breakdown Wednesday evening after hours while the cast members were riding.

To elaborate a little more without giving away too much about the "drivers". Apparently they could be easily removed and it's already being talked about as being nothing more than a test that's dispensable if they become a running gag that could simply be replaced by cast members with a script. I don't feel that would happen though only because by getting rid of the AA driver they would have to change up a good chunk of their marketing concerning the explorers.

Last but not least and I'll keep this vague....the "main attraction" is impressive but not to the point where maintenance/breakdowns will be a constant concern.
So are the drivers getting the mixed reviews or the ride in general?

If the AA problem would of been easy to remove and replacing them with Actors; why didn't they just have the Actors in the first place for RoK? Does it revolve on something to do when on the ride or is it more of technical reasons?

Reactions: rioriz and Mike S
If the AA problem would of been easy to remove and replacing them with Actors; why didn't they just have the Actors in the first place for RoK? Does it revolve on something to do when on the ride or is it more of technical reasons?
It seems to revolve more around a few executives wanting more than what's easily produced

Reactions: AlexanderMBush

Any elaboration on the reasoning behind some of the mixed reviews?

My guess at an answer would be long term costs as to why Universal preferred one method over another.
And consistency. Jaws and Kongfrontation rides were dependent on the performances from spielers. And after saying the same thing 50 times a day you start to sound monotonous. Having a prerecorded spiel guarantees consistency between shows. Plus, spielers are also paid more, so it's a matter of not having to pay a human to do what a robot can do better... theoretically.

So based on what I'm reading in the spoiler comments...

The AA drivers look/act bad? Yeah, they will need to fix that. I think using an AA on a ride that has scare actors and screen actors makes the AA sound out of place. I think they are better off just tinting the windows dark if they don't want to pay for an actual driver. Also, sounds like the AA Kong is having technical issues. Would be a REAL bummer if this turned into another Yeti situation. Unlike EE, which is still thrilling with a static AA, I feel Kong would be ruined if it didn't work right. I wonder what the other impressions were, and why they were considered mixed?

Reactions: Ryan and Ryno27
apparently it's getting some mixed reviews from cast members that have been allowed to ride so .

The mixed reviews definitely has me worried. I've been mostly hearing postive things from twitter but I've been dialing back my expectations. I'm curious of what the luke warm reception is from. Hopefully something nit pickey or minor not "the ride is too ambitious for it's own good."

I think it might be time for a spoiler thread... :thumbsup:

apparently it's getting some mixed reviews from cast members that have been allowed to ride so .

The mixed reviews definitely has me worried. I've been mostly hearing postive things from twitter but I've been dialing back my expectations. I'm curious of what the luke warm reception is from. Hopefully something nit pickey or minor not "the ride is too ambitious for it's own good."

I think it might be time for a spoiler thread... :thumbsup:
I agree.

Reactions: martymcflyy85