Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 286 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Do I go tomorrow or do I not. Today was a 3 hour backup on I-4 so glad the walls are still up but do I roll the dice at 6am manana or stay put til Monday. Decisions, decisions........

Reactions: Ryno27
Do I go tomorrow or do I not. Today was a 3 hour backup on I-4 so glad the walls are still up but do I roll the dice at 6am manana or stay put til Monday. Decisions, decisions........
I doubt it is doing softs tomorrow with all this new information on the thread.

Reactions: JoeCamel
From "Man who must not be named"
1. Cast members have started being allowed to ride, so far the night shift have been the only group who actually has.
2. I can't really elaborate (I don't want to be kicked) on the "timing issue" that was mentioned a few days ago but it has to do with an effect within the actual ride. Apparently it's not a "do or die" effect but there are issues
3. No official word on softs yet but within the next 2 weeks it's almost guaranteed
4. It's huge, loud, and scares the heck out of you
5. So far there has been some pretty funny/worrisome feedback (at least for Uni) about the "drivers".
6. Apparently the outside que experience is drastically different at night, not just for the obvious lighting but for the intensity of the que surprises
7. More animatronics than you're expecting

That's all I have for the moment

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Cast members have started being allowed to ride, so far the night shift have been the only group who actually has.
2. I can't really elaborate (I don't want to be kicked) on the "timing issue" that was mentioned a few days ago but it has to do with an effect within the actual ride. Apparently it's not a "do or die" effect but there are issues
3. No official word on softs yet but within the next 2 weeks it's almost guaranteed
5. So far there has been some pretty funny/worrisome feedback (at least for Uni) about the "drivers".
6. Apparently the outside que experience is drastically different at night, not just for the obvious lighting but for the intensity of the que surprises
7. More animatronics that you're expecting

:whoo:

Reactions: Mad Dog and Mike S
Wonder if they will remove/re-do the drivers? Probably a stupid question but who knows...

I've seen it suggested here before, but if nothing really happens show wise in the drivers area, they should just frost the windows a bit. Get rid of the the distraction of less then lifelike AA's (if you can call them that) while not breaking the illusion of having a driver. Of course, I don't know if this is a feasible option.

Reactions: Ryno27
I've seen it suggested here before, but if nothing really happens show wise in the drivers area, they should just frost the windows a bit. Get rid of the the distraction of less then lifelike AA's (if you can call them that) while not breaking the illusion of having a driver. Of course, I don't know if this is a feasible option.
Yes, this does seem like it would be a pretty feasible option if it didn't turn out well.

7. More animatronics than you're expecting

Thanks for the posting. You sure helped clear up many of the questions popping up on this thread. Good work, my friend. :thumbsup:

The queue has me interested I think more so than the ride. With this not being a constant loading ride and lots of stops with big movements when the massive vehicle loads 65+ people, the queue will move in a not-so-common fashion. With the rumors of actors and special effects in the queue, will they group people up early on and they will move as a group through multiple "rooms" until they are at the station giving riders a great story build up? Think about Disaster but with less people and a lot more rooms. Or will it be a normal queue and if you get lucky you will see the actor or special effects? Also interested to see how this works out later on when the big rush if over. Will they keep live actors in the queue for years to come or will it be the first budget cut? Finally, how scary are we talking about for the queue? Like, will we get a "this ride/queue might give your child nightmares" like Alien Encounter did at MK?

As far as the ride goes, I am glad it is rumored to be scary and intense. I think people were expecting a standard safari type ride since the vehicle won't be performing any crazy movements...we don't think. However, having an intense, action packed, fast paced story with scary images and AA's will make this a popular attraction! Also if the ride does indeed have 5 different "stories" based on your "driver" it will make it even more popular as people ride it over and over to see what changes happen.

The drivers worry me though. With the promo pic they released, I figured we would be getting LIVE actors with unique costumes for each truck. When I saw they were AA's, I was a little confused. Sure, you won't see the front of them so mouth movements and stuff that are hard to pull off won't be an issue but you can't reproduce how a human moves and reacts while driving a truck believably. Also, it seems like it would be a lot more upkeep and maintenance would be required to keep them working. Not sure if it was a cost saving idea but I just don't see it working out well. Frosting the glass and using recording of a live actor projected on the glass would have been better. If cost wasn't an issue, have a LIVE person "driving" the trucks would have been the best.

I am glad Universal is fully embracing their "adult" image though. Having a scary (subjective of course) queue and ride just cements the fact that they are not trying to copy Disney and be a "whole family" park. Going to be interesting to see if any backlash comes their way if the ride and queue are indeed scarier than most expect.

Then people would complain that those from outside the ride and in the queue would see driverless cars and it would ruin the suspension of belief and Universal sucks and Disney would never do this.