Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 197 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Funny, I was thinking in terms of tone it does most remind me of Mummy.

Save for that upbeat sort of jingle that plays while they test the audio. That's perplexing but also obviously not presented in its final context.

And just a harken back to pre-mummy, the original Kongfrontation had a very simple but extremely ominous queue.

The sort of drab station area overlooking the site of "something terrible around the corner" mixed with the eerie abandoned city aspect made it a great build up. The music played a major part in setting the mood.

We shall see how this plays out in broad daylight at Reign of Kong.

I think this is why they're upping the scare factor. The thrills will come more from the visuals and story-centric twist and turns. The 360 portion no doubt will tickle most people -- it's mild fun no matter what -- but I guess they're really betting on this attraction psychologically thrilling the guest.

Hell, this might really just be their attempt to finally do the concept of Revenge of the Mummy right, albeit without the coaster.
Lots of good points there..... And kind of what I like about this attraction thus far. It's not really about the tech. The tech is important, but secondary, to all of the other elements & things going on.....Our discussions on Gringotts, and Transformers before that, seemed to be dominated by the attraction's advanced technology.

Reactions: Ryno27
That's funny considering that the unique advanced tech on TF, that being the VTUs, is solely designed that you're never, ever aware of it and shouldn't be at all.
Agreed. And yes, those tons of discussions on the two story setting with the elevators. It's such a smooth transition, I've never been able to ascertain it when I'm riding.

Reactions: Mike S
I am from Cincinnati and work/go to Kings Island all the time during the summer. My version of thrilling does not rely solely on big roller coaster drops and inversions. I actually do think rides like Spider-Man and FJ are thrilling. As long as there are points in Kong that make me gasp, scream, or laugh, I'll consider it thrilling.

I'm still excited for this ride. But I have yet ridden something that truly makes me scared. I know theme park attractions aren't really supposed to make people fear for their life, because that's pretty messed up, but it would be awesome to see something that genuinely makes me scream.

That is very true. I just know I'm building up extreme expectations. People have told me this ride will be "the best theme park attraction in the world", the "scariest theme park attraction in the world" and so on. Now that I have that information absorbed, I can't lower my expectations. So I just know that when I ride it I'll end up being disappointed. Not saying that Kong will be bad ride - no, not at all. It will be amazing. I'm very pessimistic, I guess. I trust that UC has created a truly incredible experience for everyone.
That's totally understandable.
I thought Gringotts would be the best ride ever and that's exactly what it was for me. I didn't look at it as a coaster or a motion simulator. I took it for exactly what it was, a complex entertaining ride system. And to me it made it the best ride in the resort. Best overall attraction? No. But that sophisticated ride system and scene settings is high standard for theme park and I appreciated the creativity that went into the ride.

So take Kong for what its supposed to be and allow your expectations to balance themselves out the minute you step foot under the Kong entrance queue and take it from there.

I honestly believe, and I'm not the first one to say this, that expectations for new attractions will lead to disappointment for many. If your expectations or either to high or expecting something completely different from reality, you'll leave feeling disappointed. Even if insiders who are in the know tell you to not expect much, people will still raise their expectations to a level that they want to see, which is not always realistic.

This happens way to often in theme parks in my opinion. For example, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train was considered a failure by many fans and guests not because it wasn't well done, but because it didn't live up to their expectations. Some people (not all) were expecting either at least a thrill ride with a level of thrill similar to Big Thunder Mountain or a lengthy dark ride. Going in, we knew that both of these ideas were false, but people still made these assumptions anyway. SDMT is meant to be a family friendly coaster with a single scene inside the mountain. Now, I know plans were more ambitious initially, so that could have also been a factor. However, when I rode it for the first time, my expectations were just normal and not into the atmosphere because of the negative reviews. However, I was left completely impressed, because I got exactly what I was expecting.

Bringing things back to Universal now, the same thing could be seen with Gringotts. Especially with FJ's success most people were expecting a massive, high quality coaster through the caverns. But, what they gave us was a family friendly mix of Spider Man and Mummy. Again, I'm going to Universal this summer and hoping to be pleasantly surprised by this attraction by keeping my expectations out of the sky.

Now, I know that it's easier to do this when an attraction has been open for over a year and you know what to expect. But, if insiders are telling you not to get your hopes up and what kind of attraction it will be, it's best to listen as hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised by the attraction going in with normal expectations.

And that's key, don't go into the attraction for the first time expecting a heap of garbage. Be excited for it and look forward to riding that first time! That's one of my favorite moments, riding a new attraction for the first times. Personally, I look forward to riding Reign of Kong for the first time! Just don't prepare for something that is completely different from what is given or expect an out of this world attraction.

I honestly believe, and I'm not the first one to say this, that expectations for new attractions will lead to disappointment for many. If your expectations or either to high or expecting something completely different from reality, you'll leave feeling disappointed. Even if insiders who are in the know tell you to not expect much, people will still raise their expectations to a level that they want to see, which is not always realistic.

This happens way to often in theme parks in my opinion. For example, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train was considered a failure by many fans and guests not because it wasn't well done, but because it didn't live up to their expectations. Some people (not all) were expecting either at least a thrill ride with a level of thrill similar to Big Thunder Mountain or a lengthy dark ride. Going in, we knew that both of these ideas were false, but people still made these assumptions anyway. SDMT is meant to be a family friendly coaster with a single scene inside the mountain. Now, I know plans were more ambitious initially, so that could have also been a factor. However, when I rode it for the first time, my expectations were just normal and not into the atmosphere because of the negative reviews. However, I was left completely impressed, because I got exactly what I was expecting.

Bringing things back to Universal now, the same thing could be seen with Gringotts. Especially with FJ's success most people were expecting a massive, high quality coaster through the caverns. But, what they gave us was a family friendly mix of Spider Man and Mummy. Again, I'm going to Universal this summer and hoping to be pleasantly surprised by this attraction by keeping my expectations out of the sky.

Now, I know that it's easier to do this when an attraction has been open for over a year and you know what to expect. But, if insiders are telling you not to get your hopes up and what kind of attraction it will be, it's best to listen as hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised by the attraction going in with normal expectations.

And that's key, don't go into the attraction for the first time expecting a heap of garbage. Be excited for it and look forward to riding that first time! That's one of my favorite moments, riding a new attraction for the first times. Personally, I look forward to riding Reign of Kong for the first time! Just don't prepare for something that is completely different from what is given or expect an out of this world attraction.
Lots of good points there. Expectations have a lot to do with it. Two attractions in particular, I had too high expectations going in. Revenge of the Mummy and Jurassic Park River Adventure were less than I expected initially. Both seemed good but not great. But after a second and many subsequent trips to the parks and riding those two attractions, I "got" them. Now those are two of my favorite attractions anywhere. The initial problem is that I was expecting something different than what was there.....I also had high expectations for the first time I rode Jaws. I was disappointed in the ride. It was OK, but just that. Re riding it though, never changed my initial opinion. I could never understand why people thought it was a great ride. I never "got" it.....Back to the Future was the opposite. I went on it not expecting much. After riding it for the first time, and subsequent rides, it became my favorite theme park attraction....... So very often, it's the old adage. Different things for different people.

Lots of good points there. Expectations have a lot to do with it. Two attractions in particular, I had too high expectations going in. Revenge of the Mummy and Jurassic Park River Adventure were less than I expected initially. Both seemed good but not great. But after a second and many subsequent trips to the parks and riding those two attractions, I "got" them. Now those are two of my favorite attractions anywhere. The initial problem is that I was expecting something different than what was there.....I also had high expectations for the first time I rode Jaws. I was disappointed in the ride. It was OK, but just that. Re riding it though, never changed my initial opinion. I could never understand why people thought it was a great ride. I never "got" it.....Back to the Future was the opposite. I went on it not expecting much. After riding it for the first time, and subsequent rides, it became my favorite theme park attraction....... So very often, it's the old adage. Different things for different people.

I went on one fish two fish red fish blue fish last year for the first time. Just my girlfriend and I. No kids or anything. Just wanted to ride the ride because we like at least trying everything out once or twice before deciding if we like it in our rotation of rides.

Well we had a blast. Not even looking at it as a kiddie ride or anything just taking it for what it is. The water affects, the singing, the colors made it more than average flat spinner like dumbo.

That is when I really grasped the concept of taking attractions and rides with an open mind so one can fully enjoy it. If we don't have an open mind while doing an attraction we will think of that attraction as we want and miss out on what it offers.

I went on one fish two fish red fish blue fish last year for the first time. Just my girlfriend and I. No kids or anything. Just wanted to ride the ride because we like at least trying everything out once or twice before deciding if we like it in our rotation of rides.

Well we had a blast. Not even looking at it as a kiddie ride or anything just taking it for what it is. The water affects, the singing, the colors made it more than average flat spinner like dumbo.

That is when I really grasped the concept of taking attractions and rides with an open mind so one can fully enjoy it. If we don't have an open mind while doing an attraction we will think of that attraction as we want and miss out on what it offers.
Great point. Good example. My GF and I had the exact same experience. We never rode it the first few trips to Universal. Tried it on a really hot day. Loved it. Now we ride it all the time. My GF takes the reigns and does opposite of the instructions so we get really wet.

Thrills are all subjective. A native jumping out at me is 10x more thrilling to me than any flip or drop. I'm expecting a long, high tech slow moving dark ride with AA's, a spooky queue and a great 360 segment. If it turns out that way, I won't be disapointed. But I completely agree, without being told exactly what it's like top to bottom, your imagination runs wild and builds crazy thoughts. Always good to think logically

Reactions: Ryno27
I know there's jungle scenery (trees, ferns, etc..) in that building and the ramps to/from the 360 tunnel, so i know it'll have some level of show elements besides just caves and stone walls. To what extent? I don't know, but i don't expect too much. Hope to be pleasantly surprised.