Spider-Man getting HD Upgrading | Page 33 | Inside Universal Forums

Spider-Man getting HD Upgrading

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'll wait til I hear it, but I'm not really excited that the new score is "techno-sounding". Also not a fan of getting more wet than before. But the rest sounds great.

I loved the detailed review. I really question that the ride is truly longer in duration and believe that the newness and clarity of picture made it seem that way. Anyone have a stopwatch?

I loved the detailed review. I really question that the ride is truly longer in duration and believe that the newness and clarity of picture made it seem that way. Anyone have a stopwatch?

Not sure if the actual ride time is much longer and if it is, it would not be enough to really note.

They did not alter any if at all time with the ride film is probably more associated with the way the ride vehcile is positioned and seems to linger due to that illusion inbetween the ride film scenes. For example sich as the way the vehicle seems to position itself when the Spidey Signal shows up as explained above.

Notes from the Orlando Sentinel about the ride:

+ The queue was been refreshed, we’re told, but it’s essentially the same. One executive called it “original condition,” which is OK by me. There’s going to be a (paid) photo opportunity in previously locked rooms just after the Daily Bugle newsroom. There’s still that weird shade of greenish-blue paint overing many of the newsroom items (even croissants), but I think the trophies have switched tints to a lighter blue.

+ The 3-D glasses (“Spider Vision”) are updated. They feel more formidable on your face, but they play a key part in the improvements. Thierry Coup, senior vice president of the Creative Studio for Universal, explained the difference in a scientific way to me, but it boils down to this: With the old glasses, if you tilted your head — and you couldn’t help but move on the ride — it threw off the alignment of the images and created a “ghosting” of the characters. The new glasses are designed to prevent that.

+ Remember the first time you saw a high-definition TV? Particularly a football game or a golf match? Remember marveling at the blades of grass you could see crystal clearly? That’s what the new Spider-Man reminded me of. A great example is in the first scene that we see Spidey, and you can see the woven texture of his unitard, especially when he points at you and your vehicle and says “AND YOURS!” Check out the finger. (Side note: Coup says that scene when we meet our hero is his favorite. ”He’s so close to us. It’s so clear. It’s as close as you can get,” he says. “It was always my favorite, but now it’s much better.”

+ The scenes are rich with details, but even though I’ve ridden this hundreds of times, there were moments where I thought “was that there before?” For instance, the tank was always there with the Scream villain, but now it pops off the screen. Yeah, I wanted to duck. Coup confirms it was there all along but didn’t “work” in the old 3-D. Ditto with the fireworks behind the Statue of Liberty near the end. Reprogramming of the ride vehicles’ movements also helped. In the scene with dramatic drop, we can now see Spider-Man’s web fly into position BEFORE we are caught in it. (Subtle changes were made to make the Electro scene more effective as well.)

+ Biggest surprise for me was how much the new sound system and soundtrack made a difference. There’s more clarity, making the story easier to follow. And the music seems more choreographed, and I thought it was especially good in the steamy tunnel of transition, with the remade “Spider-Man” theme blaring.

+ As promised, Stan Lee has cameo appearances, three of them, I’m told. I missed him the first time because I was sorta looking for current Stan, age 89. He’s more youthful in the ride (although pretty dang spry in real life). Here’s a hint, but not a spoiler: Computer-generated Stan is holding hands with a woman one time and near a policeman another.

+ It’s going to take multiple viewings to catch all the new stuff, but I enjoyed seeing insider nods in the street scene. There are theaters named Coup (as in Thierry), Woodbury (as in Mark, president of Universal Creative) and Excelsior, which is Stan Lee’s traditional sign-off.

Reactions: Cwoolboy
^ Amazing review too! I really enjoy hearing how so many adore this ride and have ridden it 'hundreds of times'. That says bunches.

It is awesome. Like I never thought about the tank, but he's right. It never really stuck out to me.

Still have a few questions though. Like do they really call them Spider Vision glasses now? I hope not :lol:

is the falling bridge working? i've never noticed it working. im probably blind though. but it happens right after the pumpkin goes up in flames.

the best video i could find: go to 4:40
[video=youtube_share;1PcLmfBUemI]http://youtu.be/1PcLmfBUemI[/video]

also does anyone know where i can find the whole video? i've been looking forever.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly Teebin. I think I had heard about the falling bridge effect before, if I remember correctly wasn't it during the Hobgoblin fireball scene? Not sure I ever experienced it before though.

the whole set piece falls: skip to 4:20 in this one

[video=youtube_share;9rJqA4ivyQw]http://youtu.be/9rJqA4ivyQw[/video]

i know i've seen a better example though.

My thoughts exactly Teebin. I think I had heard about the falling bridge effect before, if I remember correctly wasn't it during the Hobgoblin fireball scene? Not sure I ever experienced it before though.

I've never seen it not working. it's not really all that impressive, and if you're not looking for it it's easy to miss. Basically when the pumpkin bomb hits the bridge and explodes, the portion above you buckles and falls a bit.

Reactions: Cwoolboy
I'll wait til I hear it, but I'm not really excited that the new score is "techno-sounding". Also not a fan of getting more wet than before. But the rest sounds great.

I LOVE that they have increased the volume of the water effect as long as it isn't TOO crazy, if this is in fact the case. That particular experience always varies depending on the seat you are in and and how lucky (or unlucky) you are. Can anyone else that who has ridden verify this? WOW these reviews are great thanks guys. Can't wait to ride next month!

I don't recall seeing the bridge, but I don't remember that from the previous version either. I do know they added brickwork to this transition. Instead of a blank wall, it now looks like you're zooming past a building.

Questions... no one has spoken of Spider-man on the outside of the building. Is it back up? Also, has it been crazy busy to ride this today? Did many show up in anticipation? Finally, I sure hope all will continue to post their detailed reviews. We can't have too many perspectives!