Stage 28/Phantom Stage Replacement | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

Stage 28/Phantom Stage Replacement

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Good morning! This week "Kung Fu Panda 3" comes out, and with that is the first official trailer (i.e. not a teaser/shows the plot) for "The Secret Life of Pets":

https://www.youtube.com/embed/UZJVc_JTI_w?feature=oembed
Personal reservations aside (wow Louis CK is really miscast here), you can instantly see how this could translate into Universal's next big hit. If they wanted to, I feel like they could expand the area a little more if they knock out the other soundstages and build a sizable Fievel's Playland-esque indoor playground at the exit of the attraction. Just with an awesome animatronic-filled dark ride as the centerpiece than some cringeworthy musical show with poorly-made costumes.

Expect the gift shop to have sooooooooooooooooooo much plush.

At this point; I have to believe that SLOP will be a big hit for Universal, as it looks really good for a family film (for now, atleast).

EDIT: Personally asking, does anyone have any recent pics of the plot? Because I believe its been said that trailers have already been seen around that area. I can be wrong in that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pets trying to find their way home... gee.. where have I seen this before?... Homeward Bound (or in this case, the sequel), 101 Dalmations, etc.. I'm clearly not the target audience because while it may be "cute", it looked like an updated rehash of animal/pet movies from my childhood. I just get a big old "meh" from this. However, the rabbit pooping and then the cat playing with one of the turd balls was hilarious... gross, but hilarious.

I have a feeling the ride will basically either escaping the dog catcher or the plot of the movie, trying to help them get home.

I still say that this would be better if incorporated into an updated Animal Actors show. I'm just feeling less & less thrilled by it as a ride. Of course I think it doesn't help that the 3 existing rides on Lower Lot are "live action" opposed to everything else (minus Potter) on the Upper Lot being animated/family oriented.

This is going to break your heart, but I'm hearing word that SLoP may be delayed because they're cutting the budget to make it into 3-D. The apparently want to save up for Nintendo land. This could have been discussed behind the scenes and shut down, but seeing that there's no progress yet, that's a bad sign.

If nearly everything that is currently coming out of Universal Creative is screen based, then I think it might be time for Universal Creative to have a staff shake up. I would like some new people who are not so 3D obsessed to take charge.

If nearly everything that is currently coming out of Universal Creative is screen based, then I think it might be time for Universal Creative to have a staff shake up. I would like some new people who are not so 3D obsessed to take charge.
In my personal opinion, it depends on the creative directors.

If this move is to ensure Nintendoland popping up to USH (Which, it seems to be reliant on physical sets), then i'm fine with there being 3D.

Now, if there was a cut on the ride system..then I would possibly have a problem.

It might be better to not build SLoP at all than to build it 3D. All this ride will do is further cement the reputation of USH being just a 3D park. If a physical based Nintendo Land is in the works then it might be smart to fast track it to be the next new thing that guests see. If the next ride to come to the park is 3D I think they will be shooting themselves in the foot.

It might be better to not build SLoP at all than to build it 3D. All this ride will do is further cement the reputation of USH being just a 3D park. If a physical based Nintendo Land is in the works then it might be smart to fast track it to be the next new thing that guests see. If the next ride to come to the park is 3D I think they will be shooting themselves in the foot.
You seem to forget that Universal has had the ability to mix the physical sets and Screens quite nicely; as seen with a few of their recent additions. And I am saying that for most of their parks, including Hollywood's (like it or Not, transformers tried to do good on attempting to make it seamless; even with some just not being what they could of).

Now, am I upset about it if its true? Yes. But, if we get a mix of the three, 3D; AAs; and themed sets, then that I am extremely fine with. Especially if they have the Trackless Tech, it could allow possibly doing different stories with the Pets, for different riders.

Well IF this is true then it's a terrible, dumb and clumsy decision. They might as well not bring it at all. After all: it's going right next door to Transformers. Literally adjacent.

So... I'm going to stay on the side of believing that the project has been delayed a bit but no budget cuts. Until I hear more, of course. This is the "spend everything" Comcast era after all.

I honestly don't see why they would need to slash the budget on this project, especially for a separate project that (from my understanding) is splitting R&D costs between two other parks. I agree with Ryan, I need to hear more. 

Reactions: Ryan
Since TWD has been confirmed to open this summer. The question now begs to be asked, what will be USH's 2017 attraction. Has there been any movement at SS28 that would suggest SLOP?

From the recent Inside Universal Update. Markings have now appeared on the floor. These marking usually appear right before they begin to tear up the pavement. Looks like we may see some progress on this project soon. 

25997951795_f10429ab80_b.jpg

Its good to see USH start work on SLoP as its going to be quite the project in terms of whats rumored..