Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Stage 28/Phantom Stage Replacement

I'd agree on having that show come... and something occurred to me, why would they had to clear the building, first the regulations for use was horrid and unusable.. and with the effects of something like that would have to require a new soundstage to be formed. And that Steven is one of the biggest directors in Hollywood history so he would be very marketable. and this would be a clone with minor changes like a new line as they could do something with the line being all props, posters and costumes of NBCUniversals past, present and future films. and it would also allow the lower lot to get something on capacity with possibly having a all new plaza for the lower lot, smaller with a new transformers extended line/façade, a icon for the lower lot, and smaller shops and restraunts to fill in everyones needs with a new restroom. this could just be on Capacity as the lowerlot needs it more than any other area in the park property. We'll see what happens but it would make a hell-a lot more sense to capitalize on how UniversalPlaza made the upperlot a little more open so they can use that and do it for the lower lot.

I just tooled around Scribble maps, and that's a pretty good size space for a new ride. I think a high-capacity omnimover-like House of Horrors ride would be a great fit for that location. It would also be nice to have a monsters-themed restaurant with extensive theming like Blue Bayou. It would be nice to see something in that space. 

Maybe a sci-fi themed ride of some sort would look good next to Transformers.  That area could be re-themed to a new sci-fi area after Harry Potter opens.  A new Battlestar Galactica or Star Trek attraction possibly?

I think a Sci-Fi area could work. The first half of the Lower Lot containing Jurassic Park and Revenge of the Mummy could be titled "The Lost World" or something to that effect, while the rest of the Lower Lot would be our rendition of Sci-Fi City.

I think the rides are way too close together for them to be part of separate "areas", that's really pushing it in my opinion. I think the theme of the lower lot should be called Production Central or Hot Set Lot or "...and "Action!" Central" or something. Make the theme be that all the major rides on the lower lot are different productions going on right now. Have different production and lighting and camera equipment around and different backlot rigs, walk around director and casting characters (like the ones that were out in the 80s and 90s sometimes), and stuff to add to the theme of being on an active backlot. But theme the actual rides and exteriors.

I'm not talking about the whole "we're making a fake movie" theme of the Orlando Mummy ride. That would only be the theme/concept for the lower lot as a whole, to explain why such random rides are next to each other (since the upper lot will have more separate/cohesive lands), but the rides would stay "in character" and not mention it's a movie.

Idk, that's my wish. I'll try to draw up some concept drawings.

I think a Sci-Fi area could work. The first half of the Lower Lot containing Jurassic Park and Revenge of the Mummy could be titled "The Lost World" or something to that effect, while the rest of the Lower Lot would be our rendition of Sci-Fi City.
Eh, still think that the Mummy ride will need to have something done to it when the Universal 'Monsterverse' gets around to redoing the mummy. (I know that's off-topic but...)

Maybe Uni could look unto making a ride based off of the Monsterverse? (other then Mummy, bc I think they just greenlit Wolfman)

I'm still really not fond of the studio feel in the Lower Lot. I get that it's supposed to be the "Studio Center," but the changes currently being made in our park's infrastructure would imply that we stray away from that theme (and the new Lower Lot arch would suggest this).

I'm just tired of the buildings in the Lower Lot with the same tan walls and metallic strips going across them. It's time for a change, in my opinion.

I'm still really not fond of the studio feel in the Lower Lot. I get that it's supposed to be the "Studio Center," but the changes currently being made in our park's infrastructure would imply that we stray away from that theme (and the new Lower Lot arch would suggest this).

I'm just tired of the buildings in the Lower Lot with the same tan walls and metallic strips going across them. It's time for a change, in my opinion.
No, I feel ya, I'm not suggesting keeping the bland "soundstage" look of the lower lot. I mean combine the idea of that with different sets. As in, Mummy would look like an Egyptian building, Jurassic Park self explanatory, Transformers more sci-fi looking, etc. I would just make the overall theme be that these rides are current productions, with some rigs and production equipment and film maker characters around. But the actual facades and rides would be "in character" and look like the time period or location. I would use the "Blockbuster Central" theme of the lower lot as the connecting idea as to why there are these different rides so close together, as they're too close and in view of each other to make them separate areas like in the upper lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite honestly, I don't think the Lower Lot has ever looked as good as it does now.

Unlike other theme parks that attempt to mimic a real studio, the Lower Lot has always been the real deal and I don't think Universal really needs to change a thing. It definitely looks more high end than any other studio-hybrid park out there, and everything already fits the theme of a major studio.

Any change is unnecessary, and it'll only cheapen the look of the Lower Lot when Universal attempts to theme every segment of the lot to match its respective attraction. Keep it as is and don't be apologetic about the fact that these attractions are housed in the heart of the backlot. While the Upper Lot is a different story, the Lower Lot will always make Hollywood unique.

After all, it fits (unlike Universal Studios Florida or Universal Studios Japan).

I don't think it'll cheapen it, but I do know what you mean. It'll make it look more garish if they completely theme everything to match the lot.

I agree that it looks very nice now, but I would add a bit more themeing still. Especially the Mummy. Very hodgepodge. You have the entrance arch, then plain nothing. Then the new hanging artifact and box, then nothing. Then that Mummy statue, then nothing until you get inside the building. Idk, it always felt unfinished. With Jurassic Park you're a least completely surrounded by the foliage, etc.

That's why I think embracing the lower lot's real theme (being on the backlot essentially) would be great. I think making it feel MORE like it's in the middle of the backlot and the rides are active productions would be cool. It's a theme park afterall. Gotta have a return to at least part of the movie magic, like the film maker characters in the 80s and 90s, etc.

That's why I think adding some film props, filming rigs and film maker characters maybe would be fun. The props and rigs would be nice photo oops as well, like a camera/director rig, etc. Just a little bit of Placemaking. Because unlike in Florida, it works here in Hollywood.

But I would still update the facades on the lower lot a bit more.

Only thing is I'm not sure if the guests will embrace or understand the stark difference between the lavish and cohesive themeing of the Upper Lot (Wizarding World, Springfield, Despicable Me, etc), with the plain soundstage look of the lower lot. Would they understand that it's "in the backlot"? It worked before, because the entire park was plainly themed and hodgepodge. But what about now? I think additional themeing wouldn't hurt the lower lot.

I swear that mummy ride is the first thing to go (demolished) once potter opens I can see the lower lot have a major facelift once that happens. We could possibly see development in the former stage 28 location And mummy location, those are just my two cents.

I think my stance comes from my admiration for immersion when in a theme park. When I walk up to Revenge of the Mummy, I want to see an ancient Egyptian structure that entices guests - not a beige building with two Anubis statues in front of it.

I definitely won't deny that the Lower Lot has been cleaned up pretty well so far, but I just wish they would go a different direction with it. Just my opinion.

Universal would be crazy to remove the Mummy. The park needs at least one coaster besides Hippogriff...updated, yes, but I doubt they'd demolish it anytime soon.
Universal wants to reboot the mummy anyway in their monsterverse. I think with a new mummy movie coming out, the old trilogy will be considered irrelevant .