Stage 28/Phantom Stage Replacement | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Stage 28/Phantom Stage Replacement

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think my stance comes from my admiration for immersion when in a theme park. When I walk up to Revenge of the Mummy, I want to see an ancient Egyptian structure that entices guests - not a beige building with two Anubis statues in front of it.

I definitely won't deny that the Lower Lot has been cleaned up pretty well so far, but I just wish they would go a different direction with it. Just my opinion.
I agree with you. Especially in the direction the park is headed, the themeing is ridiculously hodgepodge on the lower lot. I wish the Mummy building looked like the one in Singapore, which is completely themed inside and out as an Egyptian temple, and it's gorgeous. I'd love to see that here.

Doesn't hurt to put extra THEME into a THEME park.

Universal wants to reboot the mummy anyway in their monsterverse. I think with a new mummy movie coming out, the old trilogy will be considered irrelevant .
If/when they reboot it, they can just update the effects, storyline, and certain esthetic themeing. But I'm sure they'll keep it as a coaster.

Unless they can figure out how and where to put another coaster elsewhere. Which I would love but it's difficult. The Mummy show building is MASSIVE and could be put to use with an amazing dark ride (cough ET cough), but Mummy NEEDs the space because where else would you put a coaster in the park?

I honestly think they should put a new dark ride inside . I'm not a fan of the coaster its sooooooo short of a ride. A dark ride something using technology like Indiana Jones (NO SCREENS) would be amazing! They have the space to make something special. If not there then just use the stage 28 area . make it happen universal!

WWoHP is going to make the Transformers mural look terrible. We need Optimus Prime!
. That mural looks out of place. I don't get why they didn't go with the "military warehouse " look

Last edited by a moderator:
I still don't understand the mixed feelings of Florida's façade/showbuilding. I love the look of it.

Our façade seems like a tragic afterthought, quite frankly. It's as if they ran out of time on the project and this was the quick solution they could come up with. It's a good thing the ride itself makes up for its exterior a thousand times over.

Yeah, and the mural is gonna look even worse once there's more guests going towards the Stage 28 attraction, and especially if NBCUE gets demolished. The mural wasn't even centered fully based on the entrance.

I hope they change it eventually, or at least add something to it, like paint over the two Transformers and add real figures over an extended entrance platform.

Reactions: Imdbman
. That mural looks out of place. I don't get why they didn't go with the "military warehouse " look
The Florida design was the original plan, but they were only going to do one side of it since two-thirds of the building is on the Universal backlot, and it looked too awkward. So they designed the mural that was intended to go along with Optimus... and that's when they ran out of money. So we got the awful Optimus and Megatron cutouts that even our manager didn't care for. I don't even think Creative quite likes it.

If Potter funnels serious money into the park, I guarantee they'll jump at the chance to redo it. But don't expect it for at least a few years.

Reactions: JaySalahi and Chris
Now something interesting came up and this is only a rumor but this would make total sense as from Freak;

The Plot of SS28 would become a all new location for the Studio Tour and the current location would be demolished for a all new expansion for future usage in the NBCUniversal Evolution plan.

This would make complete sense of having it be more closer to where they make the films that might be represented on the Tour and eventually, the soundstages next to this possible site would have to leave for more park expansion. This could also influence a more Production Central feel. 

Reactions: Imdbman
Unless the surrounding soundstages are also demolished, I don't see this concept happening anytime soon.

The current tram loading station is large, and has enough road to allow for multiple tram backups on a large lane (plus dual loading and unloading zones). If the surrounding stages were to remain, trams would simply congest that stretch of studio road that runs parallel to the Jurassic Park queue. That's a major lane for studio production, and I don't think they'd want to congest it more so than it already is. Plus, you have that pesky fire lane that needs to be cleared...

If they were to move the Studio Tour back to the Lower Lot, I don't see why they wouldn't move it to its original location underneath the StarWay. Replacing Soundstage 28 with a the new Studio Tour entrance seems like a waste, and I'm not sure the park is willing to make that sort of tradeoff. If anything, Soundstage 28 could be the new entryway for an expanded parcel of land for the Lower Lot.

Aha yeah, no no no. They'd never waste something as valuable as the land that Stage 28 sits on for something like a tram loading area, which can be relocated anywhere else.

Stage 28 and any neighboring soundstages that might get demolished will only be used for significant lower lot/theme park expansion that would take advantage of the large amount of land the soundstages sit on.

For Chris or anyone else who might know: where was the original tram garage when the tram loading was on the lower lot? Would our modern studio tour make sense space wise back in its original location?

Reactions: BernardMesa
Aha yeah, no no no. They'd never waste something as valuable as the land that Stage 28 sits on for something like a tram loading area, which can be relocated anywhere else.

Stage 28 and any neighboring soundstages that might get demolished will only be used for significant lower lot/theme park expansion that would take advantage of the large amount of land the soundstages sit on.

For Chris or anyone else who might know: where was the original tram garage when the tram loading was on the lower lot? Would our modern studio tour make sense space wise back in its original location?
That is interesting...if it is used for lower lot expansion. A lower lot expansion seems overdue considering it seems a bit hemmed in on all sides by studio.

Thought you guys might appreciate it this, I forgot to post it. Met this awesome Phantom fan in West Hollywood on Halloween. Gave me a good bittersweet laugh. (I'm the Genie, for those who haven't seen my costume)

2vinnzn.jpg

w9u05e.jpg

Whoops, I need to read more carefully. Especially when quoting...

I think the tram garage was where it is today.

Tram loading was underneath the Starway where the Disabled Shuttle pick up and drop off is now located.  If you want a trip back in time, when you are on the lowest bank of the Starway, look over the side and you will still see the blue stripes with white dots used to line up guests for the tour cars still on the concrete next to the Mummy queue.  I have a photo somewhere...

Whoops, I need to read more carefully. Especially when quoting...

I think the tram garage was where it is today.
Yes, Tram Garage has never moved.