Stage 28/Phantom Stage Replacement | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Stage 28/Phantom Stage Replacement

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
My prediction is that Stage 28 will be part of a another Harry Potter expansion. I have a feeling that the soundstages next to Stage 28 will be taken down. The park is in desperate need of space to accomadate the large crowds.

But i dont think it will Diagon Alley. it will probably be something very unique. Probably the Ministry of Magic building and a ride themed to it.

I might not be right, but i just have a feeling.

My guess is that after the current evolution plan is complete, the next expansion will be to move the studio tour back to the lower lot.  That's when the stage 28 space will get redone and probably NBCUniversal museum.  Maybe Panda, too.  Then the current tram area including the tram maintenance building will be transformed into Diagon Alley.  That way it's adjacent to Hogsmeade.  New trams probably means new maintenance area elsewhere. 

With stage 28 footprint plus tram maintenance yard plus all that former Gibson amphitheater space, the park is actually growing considerably.  That's my long term prediction, anyway.

My prediction is that Stage 28 will be part of a another Harry Potter expansion. I have a feeling that the soundstages next to Stage 28 will be taken down. The park is in desperate need of space to accomadate the large crowds.

But i dont think it will Diagon Alley. it will probably be something very unique. Probably the Ministry of Magic building and a ride themed to it.

I might not be right, but i just have a feeling.
It has been in talks for quite awhile now that the Soundstages directly adjacent to the Lower Lot would eventually turn into theme park space. Something Potter themed for this space, however, simply doesn't make sense. Excuse the following rant, but I have a lot to say on this matter:

A Ministry of Magic expansion has been rumored to hit USF for a long time coming (particularly replacing Fear Factor Live so that it is situated next to Diagon Alley), but it just doesn't make sense. Those familiar with the books and films know that this particular location is a governmental wizarding establishment, so how would you translate that into a theme park experience? There are no known dining venues, shopping locations, or anything that could logically be turned into a ride or attraction. The only experience that could possibly be offered from a location like this would be a walkthrough, but that would be an immense waste of theme park space. An expansion like this would put the minds of Universal Creative to extensive strain, even more so than what they did to enliven Diagon Alley (Horizont Alley, Carkitt Market, etc.). A location like the Ministry would bring across so many logistical hurdles. For example, how would we enter the building? Through a large show building entrance like Transformers or RotM? Not possible. I could go on for days, and I apologize if my Potterhead rant comes across as rude, but my point is that this just doesn't work out.

My suggestion for this space would be to keep on eye on other Universal properties.

^ *applause. Loud thundering applause* :D

Anyway, I think Studio Tour is staying put As-Is in its current location, indefinitely. They just made this gorgeous new permanent Art Deco studio tour entrance, and Fast and Furious is being promoted as the "finale" for the tour, which makes sense with the tour's current position.

As for the lower lot, Stage 28's removal is just the beginning from what I can tell.

They can already use Stage 28 for a Transformers sized ride.

But I think they'll hold off on building something on the space until they remove a few more neighboring sound stages directly across from Stage 28's location, and then figure in either a massive new ride like Orlando's Kong, or another expansion of the park.

It has been in talks for quite awhile now that the Soundstages directly adjacent to the Lower Lot would eventually turn into theme park space. Something Potter themed for this space, however, simply doesn't make sense. Excuse the following rant, but I have a lot to say on this matter:

A Ministry of Magic expansion has been rumored to hit USF for a long time coming (particularly replacing Fear Factor Live so that it is situated next to Diagon Alley), but it just doesn't make sense. Those familiar with the books and films know that this particular location is a governmental wizarding establishment, so how would you translate that into a theme park experience? There are no known dining venues, shopping locations, or anything that could logically be turned into a ride or attraction. The only experience that could possibly be offered from a location like this would be a walkthrough, but that would be an immense waste of theme park space. An expansion like this would put the minds of Universal Creative to extensive strain, even more so than what they did to enliven Diagon Alley (Horizont Alley, Carkitt Market, etc.). A location like the Ministry would bring across so many logistical hurdles. For example, how would we enter the building? Through a large show building entrance like Transformers or RotM? Not possible. I could go on for days, and I apologize if my Potterhead rant comes across as rude, but my point is that this just doesn't work out.

My suggestion for this space would be to keep on eye on other Universal properties.

We don't have to follow the books exact. Just think of the early Star Wars video games. They follow the story, but they can also create spin-off and new information not presented in the movies. Universal creative and J.K. Rowling will have to work together to think of what goes on in a separate world in the Ministry of magic. 

The way that people will enter the area is going through a London street with facades and all that. Then parks guests will take a giant stairway to enter what they think is a subway, then they enter the ministry of magic as imagined in the 5th movie (I know that Arthur Weasly and Harry enter through a phone booth, but it wouldn't be logical to have one giant elevator) . The area will have to be built slightly underground though. There can be "shops" which people can "register" for government documents, ID card, and passports themed to the wizarding world. There will be fireplaces where green fire spits out here and there.

As for the ride, it will take place during the 6th book. The guest enters as a wizard applying for a job at the ministry. Cornelius Fudge conducts the interview in a separate room (pretty much like in the Tower of Terror). The interview is interrupted by an announcement over the loudspeaker that the Ministry is under attack by Lord Voldemort's followers.  Cornelius then tells the guests that they must help defend the ministry. The guests then exit the room and enter ride vehicles. At the end of the ride, after successfully defending the Ministry from the attack, Cornelius jokingly says, "You're hired." 

It makes perfect sense. Universal would be catering to the fans that know the books, and giving them a new and unique story. It definitely could work. 

Last edited by a moderator:
^ no, it does not make perfect sense...... No offense. The Potter fans are extremely loyal and exact, and very fact/detail oriented, as is JK Rowling herself. It's fine to create a new story, but that's just far fetched. Especially in the Lower Lot.

Like, it's a creative idea (even though it sort of sounds like a Ministry version of the Gringotts ride plot), but it just has to make sense. I'd rather see effort to build Diagon Alley here (hypothetically), instead of shoehorn in the ministry of magic. It just doesn't lend itself to a theme park that well, especially not one with extremely limited space.

More Harry Potter for the sake of more Harry Potter isn't a good thing if it doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Aaron
We don't have to follow the books exact.

As for the ride, it will take place during the 6th book. The guest enters as a wizard applying for a job at the ministry. Cornelius Fudge conducts the interview in a separate room (pretty much like in the Tower of Terror). The interview is interrupted by an announcement over the loudspeaker that the Ministry is under attack by Lord Voldemort's followers. Cornelius then tells the guests that they must help defend the ministry. The guests then exit the room and enter ride vehicles. At the end of the ride, after successfully defending the Ministry from the attack, Cornelius jokingly says, "You're hired."
That's the catch: what they create must be very accurate, or it simply wouldn't suffice. Like I said, there would have to be extreme stretching of the story (more so than what was done in both Hogsmeade and Diagon combined) to create the environment.In terms of the ride, the plot your proposed (as mentioned above) seems reminiscent of Escape from Gringotts. I suppose it would be a logical ride backstory, but then you have the ride itself. What could it possibly be, and what ride vehicles would be utilized? How/why would we "Muggles" assist in defending the Ministry against dark forces?

These are just a couple of the numerous issues that UC would come across if they considered the Ministry as a new theme park experience.

I feel like we've had this debate over and over in the Potter thread
Haha. I think you're thinking of the never ending Diagon Alley debate. This is a slightly different topic, but not far from it..!

We don't have to follow the books exact. Just think of the early Star Wars video games. They follow the story, but they can also create spin-off and new information not presented in the movies. Universal creative and J.K. Rowling will have to work together to think of what goes on in a separate world in the Ministry of magic.
I'm sure Universal and Warner Brothers would be willing to bend the rules slightly if the demand (and cash) is there.

We'll have to wait to see what happens to the surrounding soundstages first. If they go, all bets are off.

Reactions: smoaT and William
OK Jon, there's bend the rules, and then there's warp the integrity/realism of the world that the stories take place in.

As a Potter fanatic, I can tell you that it just seems very far fetched, especially in Hollywood. In Orlando, I can imagine it, but not here.

Besides...a hypothetical Ministry would be connected to the Diagon Alley/London expansion anyway.

There's gonna be a tipping point where there will simply be too much Potter.

OK Jon, there's bend the rules, and then there's warp the integrity/realism of the world that the stories take place in.

As a Potter fanatic, I can tell you that it just seems very far fetched, especially in Hollywood. In Orlando, I can imagine it, but not here.

Besides...a hypothetical Ministry would be connected to the Diagon Alley/London expansion anyway.

There's gonna be a tipping point where there will simply be too much Potter.
How are we "warping" the integrity of the story? We're not outright lying to the fans and creating something that never happened. We are just expanding upon an idea that is still on the same timeline. There is nothing wrong with creating a side story for the fans and non-fans. People on the internet do it all the time. So why not Universal? I think it would motivate people to come to explore that new world rather than make them mad.

I agree with you that too much of one thing is not good. But i think Universal can handle one more. I see this happening in Hollywood because of crowd capacity issues

"People on the Internet do it all the time" is the worst reasoning to use bud ;) hahaha.

Anyway, we'd never get a random ministry of magic attraction unless we also had Diagon Alley, which has proven popularity and has hundreds of retail and dining options and is actually a location fans and guests WANTED to visit.

Reactions: Aaron
Huh... I was always just under the impression Ministry of Magic would be a small expansion with an elaborate show as the main attraction. Not something huge, especially since the rumored USF location is Fear Factor.

Reactions: William
Remember that any change to the lower lot will require Transformers extended queue to be relocated.  Somewhere next to Transformers there will need to be space of at least 45 minutes of queue space.

I currently see the Lower Lot needing more restrooms with any size of growth.  If buildings are removed and footprint is expanded, they will need to focus on capacity control.

Let's wait and see once CSI wraps their show.

Chris makes a good point. The Upper Lot has been transforming at an incredible pace to accommodate the changes in crowds that Potter will bring. If they want to introduce another large attraction in the Lower Lot (regardless of what IP takes over Stage 28), they need to give it a facelift. Widen the main path, and raze/relocate existing venues, just to start.

What can be placed in an area that is only 3 acres in size? 

"Diagon Alley"

"Ministry of Magic"

Hermione+Disapproves.gif

What can be placed in an area that is only 3 acres in size?

"Diagon Alley"

"Ministry of Magic"

Hermione+Disapproves.gif
I....I love you.

Hahahaha.

Fo' real though, this is making me roll my eyes every time I hear this suggestion.

Here's what I see happening to the Stage 28 spot:

New ride the size of Transformers.

Or

New Attraction that takes up Stage 28 and 2 or 3 other adjacent soundstages.

We'll see ;)

Diagon Alley is around 8 acres in size. It's absolutely massive. Soundstages 22-25, 28, and the part of the Lower-Lot on that side would amount to half that size. Ministry of Magic is an important setting in the Books/Films but I don't think it would make that great of a Theme Park experience. Would it make a great extension to Diagon Alley? Yes. Would it be great as a stand-alone land? I don't think so, not without changing it to the point where it's not even the setting you recognize anymore (which would go against everything Universal has done with Harry Potter so far). Soon people will suggest the Burrow or Godric's Hollow.  :wacko: Sorry for going off on a tangent. I love Harry Potter but I'd rather wait until Hogsmead actually opens before even thinking about any possible Potter expansion. 

Reactions: William