Super Nintendo World (Osaka) - Donkey Kong Expansion Thread | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka) - Donkey Kong Expansion Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Something I came across that is probably worth sharing in this thread, but should also be taken with the SMALLEST grain of salt - a user on Resetera who claims to know staff within UC states that Universal wanted the land with King K. Rool as the central villain, going as far as to design drafts with him in mind - but Nintendo wouldn’t budge. Interesting if true.

Last edited:
Something I came across that is probably worth sharing in this thread, but should also be taken with the SMALLEST grain of salt - a user on Resetera who claims to know staff within UC states that Universal wanted the land with King K. Rool as the central villain, going as far as to design drafts with him in mind - but Nintendo wouldn’t budge. Interesting if true.

I believe there's truth to this. Nintendo has been very resistant to using King K. Rool and other elements from the RARE Donkey Kong games unless they absolutely must. Getting K. Rool into Smash Bros was very much an uphill battle. Right now, they prefer to emphasize the Retro Studios iterations of the characters.
I love King K Rool

No idea why you would not want a villain in the land

I really think these CEO and heads up need to talk to people because Villains are in

There... is a villain, though. Tiki Tong is all but confirmed to have a scene on the ride.

Beyond that, though, Nintendo has always been weird. Most people would assume/want Mario Kart to be a fast-paced thrill ride -- and Universal Creative pitched versions of that -- but Nintendo said no. It's just how it is.

Beyond that, though, Nintendo has always been weird. Most people would assume/want Mario Kart to be a fast-paced thrill ride -- and Universal Creative pitched versions of that -- but Nintendo said no. It's just how it is.
This is news to me. Is there any source on pitches of a faster ride?

I'm still okay with what we ultimately got though, I still feel like things might have gotten sacrificed if it were fast, but I guess it's hard to say when I(/we?) don't know what those pitches looked like.

Reactions: Freak
I believe there's truth to this. Nintendo has been very resistant to using King K. Rool and other elements from the RARE Donkey Kong games unless they absolutely must. Getting K. Rool into Smash Bros was very much an uphill battle. Right now, they prefer to emphasize the Retro Studios iterations of the characters.

There... is a villain, though. Tiki Tong is all but confirmed to have a scene on the ride.

This is news to me. Is there any source on pitches of a faster ride?

I'm still okay with what we ultimately got though, I still feel like things might have gotten sacrificed if it were fast, but I guess it's hard to say when I(/we?) don't know what those pitches looked like.
I am going to guess that the faster versions of MK would still have been a dark ride, but maybe used a different type of motion based RV and other effects to give off the illusion of going fast.

I've followed Nintendo's games for many years and absolutely none of this is surprising to me that Universal Creative would be denied access to certain characters and franchise elements by the people involved with overseeing the park's development on the Nintendo side. In the sense that regardless of whether the rumor is real or not, I do imagine these kinds of conversations are exactly what happened when designing the parks.

I have the utmost respect for Miyamoto and I wouldn't have become a fan of video games if not for his works, but it's clear he holds a gigantic amount of sway at Nintendo on creative decisions that probably no one dares to challenge given his status as a living legend. Nintendo fans are very, very sensitive to any criticism to their top talents but I think even Miyamoto himself would admit he's made mistakes on making games before so I mean no disrespect when I say the man isn't always right.

So to get back to the subject at hand, why were elements from the Donkey Kong games on Super Nintendo, the era when the Donkey Kong Country series first started and was arguably at its peak in popularity, completely ignored in a land made in response to Donkey Kong Country's enduring popularity? Despite a theme park wanting to bank on generational nostalgia, which means appealing to not just the kids who love DK but also their parents?

Well just look to the Mario Land that made sure to have no mention of a famous character in the series like Wario yet contains several easter eggs dedicated to Pikmin which has no relation to the Mario world and is one of the company's most niche franchises. It seems entirely to come from the whims of Nintendo's top creative leads like Miyamoto and nothing more.

I mean judging by how she was implemented (Power-Up Band but basically zero merch and was used in marketing approximately two times) I think Daisy being included into the land was a last minute Uninversal convincing Nintendo decision.

Nintendo is a very stubborn company, ahaha. Like already stated, Wario & Waluigi are quite literally nowhere to be found besides a (probably unintentional) easter egg on the Mario Kart ride.