Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 114 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
WDW spent millions adding interactive features to queues, only to end up ripping some out (Space Mountain) and shutting them all down for the pandemic. Creating games you can play on the app while you wait is where they’ve turned to now.

Even the best interactive queue elements, like hands-on activities in Mine Train or Pooh, or the shadow gags in Peter Pan, are only available for you to interact with for the ~15 secs you’re in front of them. I think after spending millions, Disney learned it just wasn’t worth it.

Now, I’m all for small touches, like the doors that do things when touched in MiB, booby traps in Mummy, or things to scan at Smugglers Run. Touch points that activate gags or collect coins for users of the Power Up Bands here or there at Mario Kart or Yoshi would be awesome, but even something like that would just be entertaining for a couple minutes total of your ~three-hour wait.

There looks to be some extremely interesting things to see around this queue, especially when it comes to Bowser’s course supplies and design elements. Not to mention the incredible entryway. And the unique preshow set up before load. It all feels pretty fleshed out to me, especially given its size.

Also, did anybody else notice that the AR sets that people were wearing on their heads in the queue video had no glass in front of their eyes? It was literally just a Mario visor! I have no clue how AR sets work but it made me curious as to how the glass lenses appear in front of you.

When I think of my favorite queues (Forbidden Journey, Pirates, Everest, Kong, ROTR, Tower, E.T., etc.), the common thread is not interactivity. It's that the queues put us in environments that are interesting and/or atmospheric, where the experience of being in that place is, alone, enough to hold our attention and build anticipation.

Disney's "NextGen" push for more interactivity (in lieu of building more actual attractions) was a severe miscalculation.

Also, did anybody else notice that the AR sets that people were wearing on their heads in the queue video had no glass in front of their eyes? It was literally just a Mario visor! I have no clue how AR sets work but it made me curious as to how the glass lenses appear in front of you.
I must have missed this, perhaps the visors are "built" like on some of the VR simulators I've been on

I must have missed this, perhaps the visors are "built" like on some of the VR simulators I've been on
We’ve talked about it here, as @Joe has pointed out, the brains of the AR headset are attached to the visor after you sit in the kart. That way you can size the hat part before getting in to save time at load. Same as some modern VR experiences, yes.

Reactions: 12th Man
Here is a review of Mario Kart, taken from the comments on this link. It is from someone with zero knowledge of the video games, but is an honest first impression. No pics or video is included, just text.

So, about the Mario Kart ride. You enter via the impressive facade of Bowser's Castle. When we entered, it said "wait time 15 minutes". Most of that time was spent walking, nonstop, to the actual ride's start. The holding queue is just INCREDIBLE. Huge room after huge room after huge room of snaking queue. We didn't have to actually walk the majority of it because they had huge parts of each room bypassed, but it was just AMAZING how many people could be funneled in there. I have no experience in judging crowd sizes, but I guessed that the queue could hold 2,000 people. My friend's guess was 3,000 people.

Before you get to the huge holding-pen rooms, you walk down a wide hallway (made un-wide by railings to keep you at most two abreast, likely a COVID thing) with the trophies seen in the video.

There's a lot of Mario-world detail to enjoy along the whole queue, though perhaps in the big holding-pen rooms, where you're snaking back and forth and back and forth and back and forth for likely a big chunk of time in each room, the views would get a bit stale until you moved to the next room.

Eventually you move past the big holding-pen rooms and into some much-more-elaborate areas with less queue-snaking, with some really amazing ambiance. I don't know the details of the game, but it was really nicely done and I found myself wanting to go slower to try to take it in. (Remember, we weren't waiting in a line, we were just walking there.) I remember a large Library area that was super interesting. Again, very, very well done.

I can imagine that on a busy day, when you've waited an hour or two just to get to this point, it'll really get a fan's heart racing.

Then the queue moves downstairs, where again, you're enveloped in a really-well-made vibe. You're in some big kind of reactor room, with glowing lava rocks. (It felt to me like Half Life meets Minecraft). The lighting is subdued to perfection. Adrenaline will be flowing.

At one point you're given a rubber-and-plastic visor thing. This was at a set of doors, prior to entering whatever came next, and this was the first time that we had to actually wait. I inspected the visor thing carefully.... just rubber (to make it fit painlessly) and plastic. No electronics of any kind. We finally decided that it was just an accessory to help people feel the part.

When the doors opened, we went into a room with a lot of monitors on them, showing stuff. I didn't realize it right away, but eventually realized that they were instructions. No words, just language-neutral presentation (like Lego instructions, but without instilling the desire to kill yourself).

What I got from the instructions is that when we got to the kart, we would be given AR goggles that snapped onto the visors we already had. We could look around in three dimensions and see things to shoot at, and shoot at them with two buttons on either side of the steering wheel. (I imagine that the two buttons had identical function, but not sure).

Also, at times, we'd see an indication in the AR goggles that we should turn right or left, and if everyone in the car did, you'd get some coins. [After having actually ridden, I got the feeling that the steering wheel had no influence on the kart's actual movement... just on your kart's score, but it's not impossible that if all four people did the turn correctly, the kart's movement would be impacted... perhaps made smoother?]

The karts seat four. The rear seats are quite a bit higher than the front seats, so nothing is blocking your view. You sit down, pull the safety bar to yourself. It has the wired AR goggles sitting on them... they snap into the visor on your head via magnets (so I guess they have metal as well as rubber and plastic). It was quite dark and things were moving fast so I didn't have a chance to really inspect them, but the lenses were attached only at the top to the unit (that clicked onto the headband), and had no side or lower rims. I seem to remember that they were a bit yellowish, like the goggles of an X-Wing pilot.... but mostly flat... just slightly curved.

There are two separate tracks, and so you face off in some kind of competition with the kart opposite you.

Once you start, the AR kicks in and you are OVERWHELMED by stuff for a short while. Things flying here and there, all kinds of stuff I couldn't really understand, and can't remember. It was overwhelming only for a short while, I guess until the competition actually started, then it seemed to calm down to normal game-play level. Maybe they wanted to impress you with the AR via shock and awe? It worked.

If you look down, you see an AR dashboard with two numbers, one being your coins, and the other your ammo. If you looked out and about and up, even behind you, you saw all kinds of AR stuff (things you're supposed to shoot, or that are supposed to startle you, or just entertain you, I guess)

The head/AR accuracy was very good, as was the spacial awareness in the entire space. Your shots were aimed via where you pointed your face, and if I looked at the kart next to us (~5-10 meters, depending) and shot, the shot would splat off the car. But a little up or in front and it would go off into the distance until it hit the wall or some AR item.

It took me a while to realize that I had to aim my *face* and not eyes. This came naturally for everything except the dash board, which I soon forgot about because it wasn't there when I *glanced* down. I had to actually bow my head down to see it. Once I did, I saw the ammo count and realized why sometimes I could shoot and sometimes I couldn't.

I don't quite understand the ammo count. At one point I noticed that it was in the 30s, but 10 shots later it was zero. It could be that each shot takes more than one unit (?), or maybe you get new ammo for each sub-section of the ride, and I looked at it when it had just reset to zero? Dunno.

Besides the AR, there's a lot of practical stuff as well, and at times some HUGE screens covering the walls that make some incredible visuals.

The video that Sam mentioned in his reply to me suggested that there were sections of the ride based on different parts of the game. I have no idea whether this was true because it was all the same to me. And things were going very fast, most of which I didn't understand. And I was shooting everything I could look at.... I didn't have time to try to understand it. Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a game reviewer.

I imagine that if I tried it a couple more times, and learned exactly what I'm supposed to shoot and not shoot, it'd be quite fun in a competitive way, but as it was, it was just fun in an overwhelming way. I suppose it'll be like that for most people the first time.

Near the end, the cars align and you stop for a moment at some screens and apparently they showed our scores, and you could presumably compare your car's four people's scores with that of the car you were playing against. But by the time it registered what I was looking at, we were whisked away so I never even figured out which display showed my car and my score and the scores of my friends. Again, a few more times through and I'd probably have it down pat.

In looking at the ride-specific video that Sam shared, a few comments come to mind. Yes, it's a tracked ride. I don't think "Nintendo Characters in other cars will ride up beside you" happened, unless it was in AR. A lot of stuff was happening in AR.

The kart ride was the only AR that I noticed in Super Nintendo World.
 While the karts where moving, I don't recall any feeling of going faster than we actually were. (If there were any of the visual tricks that were mentioned in the video, they didn't work on me, but I don't think there were). There was lots of spinning and sudden lurches and bumping and stopping, so it's throwing you around quite a bit. Maybe if everyone's steering a the right times, it goes smoother?

When you're back at the loading dock, you exit via a gift shop.

We’ve talked about it here, as @Joe has pointed out, the brains of the AR headset are attached to the visor after you sit in the kart. That way you can size the hat part before getting in to save time at load. Same as some modern VR experiences, yes.
Yeah definitely missed that lol

Here is a review of Mario Kart, taken from the comments on this link. It is from someone with zero knowledge of the video games, but is an honest first impression. No pics or video is included, just text.

So, about the Mario Kart ride. You enter via the impressive facade of Bowser's Castle. When we entered, it said "wait time 15 minutes". Most of that time was spent walking, nonstop, to the actual ride's start. The holding queue is just INCREDIBLE. Huge room after huge room after huge room of snaking queue. We didn't have to actually walk the majority of it because they had huge parts of each room bypassed, but it was just AMAZING how many people could be funneled in there. I have no experience in judging crowd sizes, but I guessed that the queue could hold 2,000 people. My friend's guess was 3,000 people.

Before you get to the huge holding-pen rooms, you walk down a wide hallway (made un-wide by railings to keep you at most two abreast, likely a COVID thing) with the trophies seen in the video.

There's a lot of Mario-world detail to enjoy along the whole queue, though perhaps in the big holding-pen rooms, where you're snaking back and forth and back and forth and back and forth for likely a big chunk of time in each room, the views would get a bit stale until you moved to the next room.

Eventually you move past the big holding-pen rooms and into some much-more-elaborate areas with less queue-snaking, with some really amazing ambiance. I don't know the details of the game, but it was really nicely done and I found myself wanting to go slower to try to take it in. (Remember, we weren't waiting in a line, we were just walking there.) I remember a large Library area that was super interesting. Again, very, very well done.

I can imagine that on a busy day, when you've waited an hour or two just to get to this point, it'll really get a fan's heart racing.

Then the queue moves downstairs, where again, you're enveloped in a really-well-made vibe. You're in some big kind of reactor room, with glowing lava rocks. (It felt to me like Half Life meets Minecraft). The lighting is subdued to perfection. Adrenaline will be flowing.

At one point you're given a rubber-and-plastic visor thing. This was at a set of doors, prior to entering whatever came next, and this was the first time that we had to actually wait. I inspected the visor thing carefully.... just rubber (to make it fit painlessly) and plastic. No electronics of any kind. We finally decided that it was just an accessory to help people feel the part.

When the doors opened, we went into a room with a lot of monitors on them, showing stuff. I didn't realize it right away, but eventually realized that they were instructions. No words, just language-neutral presentation (like Lego instructions, but without instilling the desire to kill yourself).

What I got from the instructions is that when we got to the kart, we would be given AR goggles that snapped onto the visors we already had. We could look around in three dimensions and see things to shoot at, and shoot at them with two buttons on either side of the steering wheel. (I imagine that the two buttons had identical function, but not sure).

Also, at times, we'd see an indication in the AR goggles that we should turn right or left, and if everyone in the car did, you'd get some coins. [After having actually ridden, I got the feeling that the steering wheel had no influence on the kart's actual movement... just on your kart's score, but it's not impossible that if all four people did the turn correctly, the kart's movement would be impacted... perhaps made smoother?]

The karts seat four. The rear seats are quite a bit higher than the front seats, so nothing is blocking your view. You sit down, pull the safety bar to yourself. It has the wired AR goggles sitting on them... they snap into the visor on your head via magnets (so I guess they have metal as well as rubber and plastic). It was quite dark and things were moving fast so I didn't have a chance to really inspect them, but the lenses were attached only at the top to the unit (that clicked onto the headband), and had no side or lower rims. I seem to remember that they were a bit yellowish, like the goggles of an X-Wing pilot.... but mostly flat... just slightly curved.

There are two separate tracks, and so you face off in some kind of competition with the kart opposite you.

Once you start, the AR kicks in and you are OVERWHELMED by stuff for a short while. Things flying here and there, all kinds of stuff I couldn't really understand, and can't remember. It was overwhelming only for a short while, I guess until the competition actually started, then it seemed to calm down to normal game-play level. Maybe they wanted to impress you with the AR via shock and awe? It worked.

If you look down, you see an AR dashboard with two numbers, one being your coins, and the other your ammo. If you looked out and about and up, even behind you, you saw all kinds of AR stuff (things you're supposed to shoot, or that are supposed to startle you, or just entertain you, I guess)

The head/AR accuracy was very good, as was the spacial awareness in the entire space. Your shots were aimed via where you pointed your face, and if I looked at the kart next to us (~5-10 meters, depending) and shot, the shot would splat off the car. But a little up or in front and it would go off into the distance until it hit the wall or some AR item.

It took me a while to realize that I had to aim my *face* and not eyes. This came naturally for everything except the dash board, which I soon forgot about because it wasn't there when I *glanced* down. I had to actually bow my head down to see it. Once I did, I saw the ammo count and realized why sometimes I could shoot and sometimes I couldn't.

I don't quite understand the ammo count. At one point I noticed that it was in the 30s, but 10 shots later it was zero. It could be that each shot takes more than one unit (?), or maybe you get new ammo for each sub-section of the ride, and I looked at it when it had just reset to zero? Dunno.

Besides the AR, there's a lot of practical stuff as well, and at times some HUGE screens covering the walls that make some incredible visuals.

The video that Sam mentioned in his reply to me suggested that there were sections of the ride based on different parts of the game. I have no idea whether this was true because it was all the same to me. And things were going very fast, most of which I didn't understand. And I was shooting everything I could look at.... I didn't have time to try to understand it. Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a game reviewer.

I imagine that if I tried it a couple more times, and learned exactly what I'm supposed to shoot and not shoot, it'd be quite fun in a competitive way, but as it was, it was just fun in an overwhelming way. I suppose it'll be like that for most people the first time.

Near the end, the cars align and you stop for a moment at some screens and apparently they showed our scores, and you could presumably compare your car's four people's scores with that of the car you were playing against. But by the time it registered what I was looking at, we were whisked away so I never even figured out which display showed my car and my score and the scores of my friends. Again, a few more times through and I'd probably have it down pat.

In looking at the ride-specific video that Sam shared, a few comments come to mind. Yes, it's a tracked ride. I don't think "Nintendo Characters in other cars will ride up beside you" happened, unless it was in AR. A lot of stuff was happening in AR.

While the karts where moving, I don't recall any feeling of going faster than we actually were. (If there were any of the visual tricks that were mentioned in the video, they didn't work on me, but I don't think there were). There was lots of spinning and sudden lurches and bumping and stopping, so it's throwing you around quite a bit. Maybe if everyone's steering a the right times, it goes smoother?

Two things
"Besides the AR, there's a lot of practical stuff as well, and at times some HUGE screens covering the walls that make some incredible visuals." This quote makes me happy

Also, it seems like this ride is just a re-rideable as we thought...The more you ride, the more you learn, and the better you become

As usual Universal delivers on overwhelming you visually haha

Last edited:
I think they could've kept the massive queue but still made it... fun? I've heard rumors that this show building can hold 4-5 hours worth of queue..

They could've easily added interactive elements in the big switchback rooms... Keep it a people eater but still make it entertaining to wait in.. A lot of the stone castle walls are literally bare with nothing on them..

Call me crazy but if you're not going to have an interactive queue, I would rather you just cover the entire warehouse rooms with screens/MK TV monitors showing highlights... at least I have something to watch/pump me up while surviving through those dreadful switchbacks.
Interactive elements just slow the line down. There's probably a reason Disney stopped making them after Mine Train, the new Space Mountain line, etc. It's not like there isn't a lot to look at, and like most Universal lines, it'll move fast, well assuming the ride doesn't break down like Hagrid's.

It is from someone with zero knowledge of the video games,
How can you know what Half-Life is but not know anything about Mario? Also reading that review, it sounds like the guy was overwhelmed to the point of confusion, which I won't take as an indicator of the ride's quality till I get in myself. Different people have different facilities with different mediums and what not. It seems he spent so much time grappling with the scoring aspect of the ride that he didn't really take in any of the environments around him.

Last edited:
Interactive elements just slow the line down. There's probably a reason Disney stopped making them after Mine Train, the new Space Mountain line, etc. It's not like there isn't a lot to look at, and like most Universal lines, it'll move fast, well assuming the ride doesn't break down like Hagrid's.

How can you know what Half-Life is but not know anything about Mario?
It's insane to me how fast Hagrid's line moves

I prefer the Universal approach of higher capacity rides with long-winding queues that hardly ever stop moving

Well
I’m glad it sounds insanely overwhelming and fun just like we thought. No mention of AAs is a bit disappointing but that may include the “practical stuff”, so who knows. Seems like AR will be used for most characters. The screens enhancing the scenery all around will be AMAZINGGG.

I’m happy he’s happy because that means we will likely be happy, but if more reviews are like this I actually might dare myself and try to avoid a POV as it seems AR is even a tad more needed than I thought.

Also like, this guy doesn’t know Nintendo and gets in early while we’re all sitting here.... wish Bowdrey got em.
Nice review though in all seriousness, this sounds sooo fun.

Reactions: Pacific
It's insane to me how fast Hagrid's line moves

I prefer the Universal approach of higher capacity rides with long-winding queues that hardly ever stop moving
Agreed. Even if there's nothing in the queue, it's just nice to move. It enervates you, gives you a sense of momentumn. The only slow lines I encountered at Universal were Hulk, Poseidon's Fury, and Shrek 4D. Hulk's queue is small and mostly outdoors, while Poseidon and Shrek are shows that can't continuously cycle people.

Reactions: shiekra38
So, maybe oversimplifying it, but is this just MIB 2.0 with a different theme and instead of blasters, AR and car buttons? That review made it sound far more "gamey" than ride. Not that that's a bad thing, just setting expectations correctly.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
I don't know what to make of that review's lack of any real description of what's going on in the physical environment of the ride, but it does sound like the AR is the primary element of the attraction.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
Also like, this guy doesn’t know Nintendo and gets in early while we’re all sitting here....

I thought this was funny. I’m not gonna knock the guy at all, but it’s like here we all have been waiting to hear the smallest scrap of anything about the ride itself and of course the first description of the experience had to come from someone who knows absolutely nothing about the IP and therefore glossed over all the details we really wanna know about, like the presence of animatronics or how the various tracks are interpreted.

That said, man... The description was still exciting for what it did offer, and I’m looking forward to the moment when someone more knowledgeable drops the info bob-omb on us.

How can you know what Half-Life is but not know anything about Mario? Also reading that review, it sounds like the guy was overwhelmed to the point of confusion, which I won't take as an indicator of the ride's quality till I get in myself. Different people have different facilities with different mediums and what not. It seems he spent so much time grappling with the scoring aspect of the ride that he didn't really take in any of the environments around him.
The person specifically said in a prior comment that they are 50-something that barely played any Mario games. They also call one of the characters a snail and have no idea who anyone is in their prior comments about the land.

I don't know what to make of that review's lack of any real description of what's going on in the physical environment of the ride, but it does sound like the AR is the primary element of the attraction.
The person they were with understood that they passed through multiple settings from the video games, whereas they were kind of lost, having never played them.

I thought this was funny. I’m not gonna knock the guy at all, but it’s like here we all have been waiting to hear the smallest scrap of anything about the ride itself and of course the first description of the experience had to come from someone who knows absolutely nothing about the IP and therefore glossed over all the details we really wanna know about, like the presence of animatronics or how the various tracks are interpreted.

That said, man... The description was still exciting for what it did offer, and I’m looking forward to the moment when someone more knowledgeable drops the info bob-omb on us.
Yea, that's what was fascinating about this review... it is most certainly NOT the target audience lol

That review made it sound far more "gamey" than ride.
Possibly, but again, it seems like this guy isn't very familiar with theme parks or USJ. In his full review of the land, he describes his surprise that everyone in the 'attraction' is waving, which shouldn't be surprising if you're already familiar with the incredible politeness of Japanese theme park employees. He's also surprise that the entire park is open amid COVID measures. There's a lot of red flags for me in that review that envinces an inexperience with the parks that makes me, as a park lover, feel like it's a review that, while perhaps accurate to the experience of an aged parks novice without video game experience, will not accurately reflect the experience of the people on this forum, younger people, or the general public, most of whom likely have more facility with both video games and the Mario franchise.

EDIT: Just wanted to note I don't want to disparage the guy, who seems to have had fun!