Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 156 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Alright, because the thread about this on Magic interests me but I have no desire to actually make an account there: I kind of agree with those who wanted practical sets/effects and AAs...once again I think people would be more forgiving towards predominantly digital effects if Uni hadn't been on a screenz binge the last decade.

That being said, all the negative comments about Yoshi, in particular the queue, have me scratching my head. Just goes to show Alicia's point about classic dark rides, I suppose.
It’s partly about universals previous use of screens but also it’s about the fact that my whole life I’ve only experienced Nintendo’s worlds virtually as a video game. Now they build a big E ticket Mario Kart ride aaaaaaaaaaand....... it’s experienced mostly virtually as a video game. Call me old fashioned but the biggest thing I was excited about when this was first announced in 2015 was experiencing these worlds built for real in our world.

As others said, RR is just one scene. Doesn’t mean the rest of the ride won’t be that way but a lot of people are making full judgements without seeing anything else.

Truly not signaling anyone out, but for this disappointed if the rest of the ride is 75-80% sets (W/rest brings made up of screens, AR, and projection mapping), how would people feel? Obviously gotta literally see it, but a mostly physical ride with a full screen/AR finale? I’m curious how that is for some on here, genuinely.

I also don’t know how having a full Mario Kart race literally happening around you isn’t experiencing it for real, but :shrug:
Pretty sure watching a portrait mode video shot on a phone shoved up inside a VR helmet is a close approximation of what it's like to ride this...disappointment. It's like watching a video on my phone demonstrating what those $30,000 Klipsch speakers sound like.

Everybody I’ve shown the ride footage to who doesn’t follow theme park news and doesn’t scrutinize every detail has been completely wowed and excited by it, especially when I tell them that that is only a fraction of the ride experience. Not a single one has said a thing about the screens, or made note of the absence of animatronics in the footage we have.

Everyone can go back and forth all day long on nitpicking, valid criticisms or not, but this is gonna be a monster hit once it hits Stateside regardless of whether there’s 20 animatronics or zero.

If only they went to that length in the actual ride.

THANK YOU.

The vid leaked could’ve been a real MK game and I wouldn’t have known, that’s F’ING incredible and being underestimated around here.
That’s the problem. Its basically the video game. I have the video game. What I don’t have is all this stuff to look at FOR REAL. I would’ve lost my crap over an actual Rainbow Road set that isn’t totally projected. Or a real built Bowser and Koopalings driving alongside you with the rest of the gang at certain parts because obviously that can’t be done through the WHOLE ride.

I have been curious if the arrows are where to look or how to turn your car wheel?

Say the arrow is a quick time event where if you turn your wheel fast enough, you gain extra points for your team. Sort of incentive to drive right as well as spamming shells at the enemies.

Then again, I don’t really know the game mechanics

If only they went to that length in the actual ride.

That’s the problem. Its basically the video game. I have the video game. What I don’t have is all this stuff to look at FOR REAL. I would’ve lost my crap over an actual Rainbow Road set that isn’t totally projected. Or a real built Bowser and Koopalings driving alongside you with the rest of the gang at certain parts because obviously that can’t be done through the WHOLE ride.
Maybe it will be...but from what we can see it's not what i was excepting.

I guess in my mind it would have been like Racers but with screens but still physical sets to highlight the tracks. Like when you are underwater you have Physical Fish Floating and sand/rocks along the track edges.

Also one part with Mario/Luigi driving next to you would feel...just too cool.

The land got my mind thinking this ride would be more than what we have seen....some are in love with this tech but my least favorite parts of Potter are the screens. I love the Dragon, physical sets and Champers of Secrets. So thought if they surveyed people and asked what is your favorite part of that ride it would be those things and not watching screens. Same thing if you talked to MK fans and asked what is your favorite parts of the game..I doubt spamming shells at people would be in the top.

I have been curious if the arrows are where to look or how to turn your car wheel?

Say the arrow is a quick time event where if you turn your wheel fast enough, you gain extra points for your team. Sort of incentive to drive right as well as spamming shells at the enemies.

Then again, I don’t really know the game mechanics
Alicia explained it a while ago. The arrows are for turning, and depending on your accuracy in turning to them, you get coins which accumulate in your score. They’re ALSO for aiming.

Not to bandwagon or spread negativity - but yeah seeing all that screen stuff in the finale is a definite let down for me. I've already experienced Mario Kart on a screen for decades now, and in the comfort of my own home without waiting in a 3 hour line to play. I also get to have total controls over my character as they race, and I'm not limited to spamming shells nonstop at a target. Having said that I do hold out plenty of hope the vast majority of the ride will be real sets, tons of actual animatronics and whatnot. As plenty have pointed out this is just a couple scenes. I'm not giving up hope just yet, but that finale is a let down and kind of visually just looks like a confusing, loud, bright mess -BUT it's just a cell phone video so who knows. They have this massive building, so seeing that giant lava Bowser in real life as an animatronic would have been amazing. It's like Comcast just won't allow an attraction to be made without a healthy dose of simulation screens. I do love the original composed soundtrack though, that's a very nice touch.

mariokart_theride.png
I remember when the above images leaked out for the ride, some people (myself included) assumed this was just for promo purposes and the backgrounds seen here were not the actual ride. I'm starting to really wonder now, as these screen-like projections would definitely line up with the only footage we have seen so far. I've seen a comment on Youtube claiming to have been on the ride 5 times, and they mentioned it has screens at the start and the ending. I would assume Bowser's Castle is the start of the race, so these promo shots are looking to actually be real shots of the ride. I'm curious how well the transition will feel when going from a totally fake projection based area, to one with lots of actual sets and animatronics.

Last edited:
Reactions: illumination
It's like Comcast just won't allow an attraction to be made without a healthy dose of simulation screens.
The other ride in the exact same land has 0 screens. Literally right next door.

Also, I’m sorry, but the “I wanted it for real” refrain just holds no water for me. Sitting at home with your switch is not the same thing as the characters literally flying around you in 3 dimensions while you try and pepper them with items to win the race.

Last edited:
The other ride in the exact same land has 0 screens. Literally right next door.

Also, I’m sorry, but the “I wanted it for real” refrain just holds no water for me. Sitting at home with your switch is not the same thing as the characters literally flying around you in 3 dimensions while you try and pepper them with items to win the race.
On a rotating ride vehicle, with an interactive handle, with other riders and Augmented Reality, after walking thru Bowser’s Castle ant the Mushroom Kingdom and the rest of your respective Universal resort.

I agree, the “I can do this at home” arguments I think are severely understumating what’s going on here.

Also, do people NOT want screens or AR to fill the backgrounds? Nothing says Mario Kart like a practical set with a ceiling I can see above it. Need this for the immersion