Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 153 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This is a technology that is still in its infancy, and this is the MOST advanced use of it so far. Plus this will be the first time many people will experience true AR. I've put a HoloLens on before at demo's and that was nowhere near as impressive as what I'm seeing on a phone screen. More so than anything about this land the AR is what gets me excited. This theme park land is using technology that has never properly been mass-available like VR with The Void or an OCULUS, this is literally a huge technological advancement as a ride.

AR isn't what I'm talking about

I'll bet a coke without riding the ride its fun but in now way as exciting as Mario Kart 8.

Once again, this would be like giving us a Link Crossbow training game and calming because its AR that makes it better. I'm sure its fun but in no way its it a Mario Kart ride to the fullest, that would coaster with AR tech that allows you to interact.

I know people like to be positive but as a fan of Mario Kart, I can tell you this is not what myself of fans of the game series for 20 years would have done with a ride. If non fans of the game don't care cool but as a fan of the series this looks like fun but didn't even need to be mario kart...could have been just a mario ride.

Considering dark rides have used wind to simulate moving faster then they really are, that's a non-issue.

As for the idea of a interactive family coaster, that's not feasible for MK in any way, shape or form. While there's a couple coasters with legit interactive/shooting moments, all of them come to a full-stop for those segments. That alone doesn't work for MK which has you shooting items aplenty while moving. An if it would be moving, it would be around the same speed of a darkride since any faster and there's no way in heck you'd be able to aim/hit anything. MK is seamless, frantic chaos. It doesn't slow down to fire items, so it's better using a darkride to have a nice control on everything going crazy for the whole ride. A coaster would be too much start-stop-start with those elements.

As for opening paths and secrets, those only come into play when you're racing in the actual games. They're not high on the priority list when it comes to making a ride based off MK.
Just because they have not been done yet, doesn't mean they can't be.

Reading the comments, because of the theming level, I was hoping rides were also just quality and weren't making excuses (the land is amazing and makes no excuses it just does what it needs to to look and feel mario)

I would have rather this been a Generic Mario ride and added a Mario Kart ride when they had the tech or money to do it 100% right.I guess they can only make you feel like your in the movie...but games are still out of there reach. Mario Kart in no way is like Mid way mania.

• Haha
Reactions: Frogki and 12th Man

I'll bet a coke without riding the ride its fun but in now way as exciting as Mario Kart 8.

Mario Kart 8 is one of the best games in the series and very fun, but cannot be compared to this in any way other than theming and atmosphere imo.

I will like to remind people they're basing this on mediocre footage of 1 minute of the ride, with part of that 1 minute being the part before unload.
And even then it looks really well-done for what we saw.

Reactions: Frogki
Wasn’t part of F&F compared to MK before it came out? Supercharged is more appropriate, thank you.

That's a decent comparison actually. Highly anticipated racing franchise put into a slow moving dark ride with effects to simulate speed.

Mild spoiler based on the POV video:

I wonder if the "flying" portion of rainbow road will feel like you are floating through the air instead of just the same car on a track physical feeling? Or if the movement isn't any different, it's just the visuals of the screen to give the effect.

When I first heard they were developing the MK ride, my first thought was the long jump in Royal Raceway from MK64. How cool it would be to see a huge physical set and fly above it in a car. I guess the only way to pull that off is using screens and a dark race course like Rainbow Road. Which didn't look as bright and cheery of a rainbow as what I remember...but hopefully it's fun and you still feel like you are making a big jump.

Once again, this would be like giving us a Link Crossbow training game and calming because its AR that makes it better. I'm sure its fun but in no way its it a Mario Kart ride to the fullest, that would coaster with AR tech that allows you to interact.

I know people like to be positive but as a fan of Mario Kart, I can tell you this is not what myself of fans of the game series for 20 years would have done with a ride. If non fans of the game don't care cool but as a fan of the series this looks like fun but didn't even need to be mario kart...could have been just a mario ride.

Reading the comments, because of the theming level, I was hoping rides were also just quality and weren't making excuses (the land is amazing and makes no excuses it just does what it needs to to look and feel mario)

I would have rather this been a Generic Mario ride and added a Mario Kart ride when they had the tech or money to do it 100% right.I guess they can only make you feel like your in the movie...but games are still out of there reach. Mario Kart in no way is like Mid way mania.

I totally get what you are saying and agree to an extent, also as a fan of Mario Kart and Nintendo in general. I also wonder if they’d have been better off building an immersive Mario dark ride based around the games like Odyssey or Galaxy. An adventure to get the star and defeat bowser kind of thing.

Many will have an expectation and I fear this won’t quite fit it. But I am sure it will be great fun all the same.

I just hope it doesn't catch fire because everything looks Extremely unbelievable to be happening at once. AMAZING. And wtf 11 more scenes!!

This is literally the chat that everyone on this site has prophesied for the past couple months. I can’t tell if it’s satire or not.

Anyway, I still have no idea on how that entire sequence at the end is pulled off. It’s mind blowing. Are the carts moving forward the entire time? Are there screens in front of us? Is it all AR? How does the finish line just morph into a set piece? Ahh!

If people wanted ET’s adventure for this ride, you have Yoshi and eventually DK for your AA fetish, this seems to quite literally be the most immersive thing possibly out there, the ending is just unreal. The fact that people are complaining thinking it’s just a screen are underestimating the Augmented Reality part of this attraction.

Edit: Also there is like 10 other scenes, literally.

Last edited:
I totally get what you are saying and agree to an extent, also as a fan of Mario Kart and Nintendo in general. I also wonder if they’d have been better off building an immersive Mario dark ride based around the games like Odyssey or Galaxy. An adventure to get the star and defeat bowser kind of thing.

Many will have an expectation and I fear this won’t quite fit it. But I am sure it will be great fun all the same.
Legitimately the only people who would have wanted a passive dark ride experience over a highly interactive Mario Kart experience are posting on theme park forums.

Shooter rides are insanely popular and always rate highly on guest satisfaction. I will be amazed if this isn’t the highest rated ride at every resort it opens at

Legitimately the only people who would have wanted a passive dark ride experience over a highly interactive Mario Kart experience are posting on theme park forums.

Shooter rides are insanely popular and always rate highly on guest satisfaction. I will be amazed if this isn’t the highest rated ride at every resort it opens at
Gonna Uni fan boy for a minute but hear me out:

Why I don’t want a “classic dark ride” for any of theseE tickets is that I feel I can get that at Disney. As I’ve said on here before, while Disney surely has their fair share of interactive rides, I find their rides are more “Look at this! Okay, next!” Where Univeral does such a better job putting you into the action of our favorite franchises.

So, for a video game about high speed racing, creating a land solely for familiea, while I couldn’t have come up with AR myself, it’s so beyond fitting now it’s just ridiculous. If these were all AAs I think we’d be bored. Didn’t people not enjoy the Yoshi POV? I’m not sure what people want sometimes.

Reactions: Frogki and Mad Dog