The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 133 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'd argue the outrage happened back in 2009 when Potter was announced as the replacement for half of the land. There was plenty of anger over the loss of Dueling Dragons iconic queue and the incredible Enchanted Oak.

We've had 14 years to get past the inevitable loss of PF as it has hung on as a little island of its own in the park. It's simultaneously sad and long overdue.

After visiting UOR a bunch, I only just did this for the first time recently and I'm even more glad now that it's closing. I was slightly buzzed and full of sugar and I fully leaned into the corniness and had a blast. RIP to a real one.

Also I'm sure whatever replaces it will be great.

Once again, I'd like to point out the double standard...no one's outraged that Uni is closing its last original attraction for something IP.

I will very much miss PF, as it was criminally underrated by GP and fans alike. It actually beats Forbidden Journey in my IOA attraction rankings at this point (tied with Hagrid's).

Is anything actually planned for replacement? They love having the Sinbad area as a holding queue for Hagrid's.
Universal always positioned itself as an IP heavy showcase. IOA was the one that broke the mold with LC

And ironically, people have confused LC with various different IPs over the years

This is different than a MK, Epcot, or Animal Kingdom, hence the appropriate double standard

I don't think anyone should be surprised by this. Maybe by how out of nowhere it was, but PF has been on borrowed time for a long time
Yes, people are looking way too much into the refurb

At work, we recently replaced the roof and A/C units on a building we plan to demo within the year

Why? Because it was critical to it being a functional building for the last 12 months of ops

I love the discussion! It's great when there's news that reactivates these threads. Ultimately though, I (almost) do not care one whit about what this gets turned into as long as it has some combination of Air Conditioning: The Ride, a play area, shade, interesting food, and/or quality immersion. I don't care if it's Zelda or Pokemon or Smoky and the Bandit for that matter but give me 2-3 or all of those things and I'm a happy camper.

I hate to say it, but it was probably the best thing to do in the long run. Joe Q. Public would never gravitate towards an original attraction built today.
Well, the entire center of their massive new theme park will be original with two original rides and a ton of original restaurants lol

LC is just critical space in a park that doesn't have any and could benefit from IP integration(s)

Reactions: Coolbfitz and Jwhee
Space Fantasy is good.
I’m sure it is. But it’s also a ride that 99.9999% of the people on this forum will never experience.

The only non-IP ride at Universal I’d say I actively miss is Disaster!, but I’d also never say it was popular or worth saving before it closed.

(what replaced it is another story)
Yes, people are looking way too much into the refurb

At work, we recently replaced the roof and A/C units on a building we plan to demo within the year

Why? Because it was critical to it being a functional building for the last 12 months of ops
Eh, I dunno. If they thought they were going to close it 12 months after it reopened I don’t think they’d bother refurbing it and keeping it open that time. It’s not like they needed it open until a ride was done to replace its capacity.

Lost Continent WAS an amazing land when it was Merlin Woods and the remaining half. It's still beautifully themed. But, losing Merlin Woods kept the parks afloat and none of what's happening now with EU would have been possible without sacrificing it.

I went to IoA in 1999 and was blown away by Poseidon, but the revisions over time and the improvements in technology which have passed it by, it's probably better that the attraction is redeveloped and the are gets a new identity. I think it sounds like a 2026-27 project, but with Universal right now, who knows...

I tend to believe Poseidon will sit empty for a year or so with meet and greets in front of it just like during the pandemic.

Lost Continent WAS an amazing land when it was Merlin Woods and the remaining half. It's still beautifully themed. But, losing Merlin Woods kept the parks afloat and none of what's happening now with EU would have been possible without sacrificing it.

Yeah, OG Lost Continent is easily in my top five all time favorite areas, probably top three. But clearly, it was the right decision.

I guess my point is aimed at those (primarily on a certain other site that shan't be named) who actually think the GP wants original content at either major resort...do you think that an original land, no matter how good, would've saved the parks from being sold off when Comcast bought NBCU?

I for one think Universal should not build a land based off a series who's most recent game sold 30 million copies on a single system, who has 20+ critically acclaimed games that defined the gaming industry and made marks on different generations, who's owner has an extremely good relationship with the company, and which would replace one of the least popular lands in an Orlando theme park, a spot that isn't big enough to support an A-list IP but is just big enough to support an elaborate indoor dark ride that IOA absolutely needs more of. They should be focusing on major draws like Jason Bourne, the Tonight Show, and Fantastic Beasts 2: The Crimes of Grindelwald.

Loved PF. Sorry to see it go. My only issue will be if, after they shut it down, that it sits for a good while before they start it's replacemrent. Sindbad still sitting there useless. USO has serious capacity issues during this transformative period, and they haven't addressed it. Seems like they gave up on 2022 and they're sacrificing 2023 and part of 2024. Nearly every year except for covid, I've stayed at Universal for at least two vacations and 20 to 28 days each year since 2010. I've always been a rah rah resort fan. But my two vacations in 2021 weren't the usual experience. Lines were way too long with the capacity issues. On site hotels were hard to book. Service was only so so, but that was understandable with so many new employees. Yeah, I'll probably be back in late 2024 IF they carry on with the rumored replacements. But in the meantime, with the hated Chapek gone, I'm marching to the tune of the mouse. Except for DHS, their non holiday lines aren't bad. On Friday I leave for a 10 night vacation entirely at WDW. June of 2024 was going to be a split between Disney and Universal, as we're taking two of the grandkids. I recently changed that to an all Disney vacation since I don't want to subject the young girls to long ride lines and a possible lack of a night show and/or parade for them. We spend lots and lots of money on our vacations, so my wallet is speaking with my feelings of Universal basically writing off the next year or so since they have that big Epic excuse to fall back on.

Last edited:
This thread has been open for 14 years. We've been questioning when this land would bite the dust for over half of the park's existence. This thread has even been open for 5 years longer than the OG Kidzone thread (may it rest in piece). Poseidon's Fury is gorgeous and the original Lost Continent was cool af, but it's time lmao.

This is pretty much my feelings. Growing up, I absolutely loved Lost Continent, lots of fond memories from the times I got to experience it fully. But then Potter came and replaced Merlinwood, Dragon's was replaced by Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure which I honestly love, Sinbad eventually closed which wasn't a loss for me, and the land's just been on borrowed time in my eyes.

And now we have PF on the way out, as for how I feel on that closing...

And thus ends one of the great theme park mysteries of all time - why did they nerf the “whoa” ending of the original version.

...and this is a factor on why I'm not bummed PF is closing, what's closing was NOT the better version of the attraction. While I did like PF, everything that I've heard and seen of the original through rare footage leads me to believe I would've LOVED that version! You've got Greek Gods being jerks as they are, the name of the attraction makes sense with Poseidon being the main antagonist, you've got Jermey Irons voicing Poseidon, and the wall effect is used so much better to transport you back to the previous room, that is an impressive ending!

If that version stayed, I think I'd be a bit more somber in its closing. But that's not the version that most all of us have seen, what we've had is the knock-off Mortal Kombat boss with plenty of cheese and the less impressive use of the wall effect. Now that's not taking away from the facade and Water Vortex which still hold up to this day, but ultimately, this is not the version worth losing sleep over.

Yeah, OG Lost Continent is easily in my top five all time favorite areas, probably top three. But clearly, it was the right decision.

I guess my point is aimed at those (primarily on a certain other site that shan't be named) who actually think the GP wants original content at either major resort...do you think that an original land, no matter how good, would've saved the parks from being sold off when Comcast bought NBCU?
I'm all for Zelda replacing Lost Continent but I do think it would be nice to see post-Potter Universal try another original land. I know we're getting the hub at Epic Universe but I mean something that's more than just a walkthrough to more important areas.

On a related note... is there any room for Space Fantasy in the hub?