The Mandalorian | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

The Mandalorian

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Throwing this out there, If they try to use this series for course correction of the sequel trilogy I think it would be met with a groan. I hope it tells it's own story, without focusing too much on trying to tie in the events of the sequel trilogy.

The reveal in the last episode is fine as a subplot if it's what we all are assuming it is. Bits that explain the rise of the First Order, sure. But please keep it neatly packed in a box and far away from being central to the plot of the show. It's nice that it's there, but it really should remain as a side note.
This show was always meant to connect the dots between what happened after the second Death Star which lead to the rise of the First Order. Literally always. It's how it was originally billed when first announced.

Wel I liked the latest episode, it's the first one.
Sure the story is another "help me out and nothing is as expected" but I guess that is all the writers could come up with. But the action was solid especially for the minor characters. Buy-me Joda is unfortunately progressively becoming the new Jar Jar Binks where the "humor" only come from it's insatiable graving for food and doing dumb stuff but I guess the formula pushes for it.

Wel I liked the latest episode, it's the first one.
Sure the story is another "help me out and nothing is as expected" but I guess that is all the writers could come up with. But the action was solid especially for the minor characters. Buy-me Joda is unfortunately progressively becoming the new Jar Jar Binks where the "humor" only come from it's insatiable graving for food and doing dumb stuff but I guess the formula pushes for it.
It's blatantly clear based on your comments in the past and these that you don't get what this show is aiming to be. It's not trying to be a show that is overly plot driven. This is a western through and through, and like old western shows that Favreau grew up watching, most episodes are self contained while still moving the plot forward inch-by-inch by introducing new characters and dropping things like where The Child needs to go (Corvus) and now that Moff Gideon seems to be trying to work on cloning and that's why he needs the child's medi-chlorians. And with Gideon tracking the razor crest now, and seeing the Dark Troopers he has in waiting, it sets up what could be an amazing end to this season where, like season one, it does start to follow more of a multi-episode plot rather than the side missions that the show likes to do early on in the season.

This is a very different way of presenting a TV show in an age where we expect so much plot out of each episode these days and we expect all episodes to be 50 minutes or so. I rather enjoy that it seems that The Mandalorian has a lot of creative freedom in not being constrained to a set time as some episodes are 30 minutes and some are 50. Some are what some may call "video game side quests" and some become very "serialized". And most of all, the people working on this show actually understand Star Wars and truly love it.

I disagree that The Child is becoming anything like Jar-Jar as well. Sure, they cut to him for a lot of cute shots, but there's also a lot of character building with him this season and we just found out his blood is being harvested to try and create clones. This is all as they're heading to Ahsoka Tano, who knew Yoda, so I have a feeling she may give us some good information in the next episode.

Errr I kinda hate the excuse "you don't get what this suppose to be" its BS like that which is what made the Sequels so mixed.

Like all Three Sequels films "tried" to be something doesn't mean they don't suck. Resistance the kid TV show also sucks, doesn't make it better because it was made for little kids, that's just an excuse to be a lazy writer. From Avatar, Clone Wars, steven universe, and Infinite Train are "kid" shows that anyone can enjoy so to say well "your just not getting what they are aiming for" can be lazy writing.

I think Mando besides literally Episode 2 of this season has been consistency good to great but I do think they should continue sprinkling in interesting main plot info or the show is kinda wasting the budget. The worst episodes of Rebels are the ones they just have to pad out the episode count, if you have no new information on the main characters or plot cut it. Don't waste your audience time or the budget on things we don't have to see.
Even Episode 5 of last season had something to the main plot (boba/or Rex) watching Mando

Reactions: Nico and tielo
Errr I kinda hate the excuse "you don't get what this suppose to be" its BS like that which is what made the Sequels so mixed.

Like all Three Sequels films "tried" to be something doesn't mean they don't suck. Resistance the kid TV show also sucks, doesn't make it better because it was made for little kids, that's just an excuse to be a lazy writer. From Avatar, Clone Wars, steven universe, and Infinite Train are "kid" shows that anyone can enjoy so to say well "your just not getting what they are aiming for" can be lazy writing.

I think Mando besides literally Episode 2 of this season has been consistency good to great but I do think they should continue sprinkling in interesting main plot info or the show is kinda wasting the budget. The worst episodes of Rebels are the ones they just have to pad out the episode count, if you have no new information on the main characters or plot cut it. Don't waste your audience time or the budget on things we don't have to see.
Even Episode 5 of last season had something to the main plot (boba/or Rex) watching Mando
I normally wouldn't say it about a show (and I hated the prequels fwiw), but the only reason I do about The Mandalorian is because it's so different from pretty much all shows in how it paces itself. It forces you to be patient. I totally get how someone could not like this show, trust me and I get wanting it to be more serialized instead of having side mission episodes. But the way I see it, this show is about the journey, and this show takes you on every part of Mando's journey. They didn't rush to go see Ahsoka this week and they also haven't paid off Boba Fett either, yet. We haven't even entered the portion of the season where we're going to go on the serialized journey to end the season and we've already had arguably more world-building and character development than all of season 1.

My point is, the side quest episodes aren't throwaways on this show. Sure they don't drive the story forward at a rampant pace, but they lay solid groundwork for the path we'll eventually follow. I'm expecting major payoff in the back-half of the season based on the cliffhangers we have and knowing where they were headed in going to Corvis to meet Ahsoka. If the payoff isn't there though, then i'll be the first to acknowledge it. Go back to my episode 2 review for this season... I was no big fan at all. Upon second watch I liked it better, but even still.

I normally wouldn't say it about a show (and I hated the prequels fwiw), but the only reason I do about The Mandalorian is because it's so different from pretty much all shows in how it paces itself. It forces you to be patient. I totally get how someone could not like this show, trust me and I get wanting it to be more serialized instead of having side mission episodes. But the way I see it, this show is about the journey, and this show takes you on every part of Mando's journey. They didn't rush to go see Ahsoka this week and they also haven't paid off Boba Fett either, yet. We haven't even entered the portion of the season where we're going to go on the serialized journey to end the season and we've already had arguably more world-building and character development than all of season 1.

My point is, the side quest episodes aren't throwaways on this show. Sure they don't drive the story forward at a rampant fast, but they lay solid groundwork for the path we'll eventually follow. I'm expecting major payoff in the back-half of the season based on the cliffhangers we have and knowing where they were headed in going to Corvis to meet Ahsoka. If the payoff isn't there though, then i'll be the first to acknowledge it. Go back to my episode 2 review for this season... I was no big fan at all. Upon second watch I liked it better, but even still.
Sure but I think if all episodes were like the second one...the show would get boring quick. Side quests are fine but even last episode gave us a good amount of info and seems to be leading into first order stuff (and here comes Dave to fix the sequels like he did the prequels..lol)

I just hope they just keep moving the overall story and we will be fine..i just don't want it to be all side quests. If they have idea's for that make a video game, it works better there.

Sure but I think if all episodes were like the second one...the show would get boring quick. Side quests are fine but even last episode gave us a good amount of info and seems to be leading into first order stuff (and here comes Dave to fix the sequels like he did the prequels..lol)

I just hope they just keep moving the overall story and we will be fine..i just don't want it to be all side quests. If they have idea's for that make a video game, it works better there.
Of course. IMO, Episode 2 was the second worst episode of the series. It would be the worst if not for Episode 5 of last season being so blah. There was at least parts of episode 2 I enjoyed whereas Chapter 5 was pretty much bad all around.

There obviously has to be a larger story at play for us to care about. But I feel like we're about to dive right into that larger story in a big way in the back half of this season. As for fixing the sequels... I don't think this will be nearly as tied as some are speculating after further examination. They did mention "the new order" and it does look like they will be explaining at least the early formation of how Snoke came to be (whether this is him or not, this experimentation likely led to him). They do need to be careful there as I don't think Favreau wants this to be the prequel to the sequels. I think he wants to stay in the Western genre more or less.

One question I guess I have though is - where the hell is Luke in all this? I don't expect them to ever recast and him to appear on this show, but like, he didn't go hide away on Ahch-To until after he failed with Ben Solo, which wouldn't be until well after this time period.

I'm really worried we're getting a First Order origin story here...which UGH Star Wars needs to stop making itself so small.
I agree, with a Galaxy so large, everything needs to stop tying back to the same thing.

I think we’re also looking at potentially going down the path of Gideon trying to create a Palpatine Clone, which went wrong and ended up creating Snoke instead.

Reminder, Boba Fett is a clone gone right, so now that we know cloning is a major plot point, it makes sense how he would tie back in now.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
I'm really worried we're getting a First Order origin story here...which UGH Star Wars needs to stop making itself so small.
Errrr this set up is all things seen in Star Wars before. Baby Yoda for god's shake is named that by fans because its just the speicies of Yoda but a baby.

We have tons of Bounty Hunter Story lines, The Mandoalorains have tons of stories already, the Empire played a large role in season one and no one batted an eye, everyone freaked out seeing the dark saber.
The show is showing us side stuff or other angles which I love but its all based in things we know, no one hated the clone wars or Rebels for tieing into the main story. The Clone Wars last 4 Episodes are some of the highest ranked episodes EVER and they literally take place during Episode 3. So people know what they like.

As for the comment about Luke, Its will be weird if he doesn't show up. He is active in the books and Video games like Battlefront 2 and Mark has said that Sebastian Stan can take over the character for if they need Luke back younger and they recast Han..so nothing is stopping them from doing it

I have to trust that Favreau and Filoni are not going to explicitly tie themselves to the Palpatine stuff from THE RISE OF SKYWALKER. Being the fans they are (and Filoni being Lucas' protege), I can't imagine they were pleased with how the character was handled there and would likely want nothing to do with that storytelling decision.

I wouldn't mind it providing it's a background detail and not the main story line.

Agree to disagree. I got all the detail I need from TROS and it was all bad.

Star Wars *desperately* needs to break new ground with its stories and stop folding in on itself constantly
I have to trust that Favreau and Filoni are not going to explicitly tie themselves to the Palpatine stuff from THE RISE OF SKYWALKER. Being the fans they are (and Filoni being Lucas' protege), I can't imagine they were pleased with how the character was handled there and would likely want nothing to do with that storytelling decision.
Filoni being Lucas’s protege is not a positive when it comes to making solid story decisions

Reactions: tielo
Agree to disagree. I got all the detail I need from TROS and it was all bad.

Star Wars *desperately* needs to break new ground with its stories and stop folding in on itself constantly

Filoni being Lucas’s protege is not a positive when it comes to making solid story decisions

You can hate it all you want but it takes place after the fall of the Empire and before the rise of the First Order with the main antagonist being a part of the transition.

It's inevitable that it's going to crop up.

You can hate it all you want but it takes place after the fall of the Empire and before the rise of the First Order with the main antagonist being a part of the transition.

It's inevitable that it's going to crop up.
I mean, no. It’s not inevitable. This is an entire *galaxy* of potential stories we’re talking about. There’s no need to delve into the First Order, but Filoni has terminal EU brain and can’t help filling in details that we don’t need filled in, just like George

I hope I’m wrong. I enjoy this show a lot, but I see it going down the road of the other Filoni shows that became more and more wedded toalready established stories