The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 480 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes 'crisis' are the mother of invention. Perhaps covid safety restraints will force creators to come up with some unique ways to entertain that are even better than some of the HHN modes that are kind
of getting on the wrong side of old and sameness.
Yes, it will be interesting to see how they incorporate the murder hornets this year

Personally, I believe audio cues can still work with scareactors being at a distance

For smaller haunts that can't afford such things it may be lights out for them

Yes more music zones! Rob zombie and killer klowns proved you don’t need tons of scares to be great zones! Rob zombie just chilling and listening to music while fire towers were shooting and projections on the walls and everything it was atmosphere overload! And for klowns one of my best memories is acting like a kid just popping fog bubbles with one of the klowns while the incredible soundtrack was playing!!
I disagree. Music zones have personally never really worked for me, Hellbilly and Killer Klowns were the weakest scarezones of their respective years because all in all, there wasn’t much to see and it mostly just relied on the music and photo ops. I’d imagine they’d do more stuff like Vanity Ball, since it’s a lot of minishows that they could have happen simultaneously to keep crowds dispersed plus actors being elevated and kept 6 feet away easier. I wouldn’t mind that since Vanity Ball was personally one of the best scarezones I’ve seen them do.

I think if there are scarezones this year they might actually cause a positive, organic change to how they are implemented in the future.

In the recent years, in my opinion, SZs have had somewhat of an identity problem - the best scarezones have always been atmospheric and then elevated by an intense cast. As with everything, cast is king and intensity can make any environment hostile (case in point, the chainsaw teams. no props, all scares). Last year there was a clear cut between good and awful - the best SZ (RZ: Hellbilly) had practically no scares but was incredibly active, the worst (Vanity Ball) had awful everything. Where Vanity Ball had mini-shows that could have slowed crowds, Hellbilly had constant sights to see in all directions but nothing that would stop you in your tracks. Both were still a shift from the most recent GOAT, PsychoScareapy: Unleashed.

My hope is that in the future things shift towards a decoration/prop focus because walking through Vikings kept me on my toes for the next house, while Zombieland kept me on my toes to leave the area. Like it or not Social Media has turned everything into a photo-op and it seems an abundance of actors in the streets leads to an abundance of people stopping to take photos (breaking immersion even more). Solid props and decor make even the HHN store in NY a treat to visit. Something I'd really like to see is certain Scarezones looking like an aftermath of an event. Walking through what was a slaughter could function to hype up the houses you're about to behold. And of course, give me a scarezone with pumpkins galore (I'm a sucker for the classic Halloween vibe).

This is a speculation thread, not a wishlist, so to bring things back to focus - if we have zones, I'm expecting something more along the lines of a showcase of carnage with actors on the sidelines to highten the environment, rather than constant active participation from characters.
Yes!!! I’ve mentioned this before, but I think scarezones potentially turning into more atmospheric areas with maybe a few booholes and not many actors will work wonders for HHN. I would adore if it stayed that way, as things would just feel a much more immersive and scary. However, I feel like instagrammable zones are just more profitable to them, so who knows.

Not a fan of how you put crisis in quotes there.
Also, this. Let’s not downplay the severity of the situation by putting quotation marks around crisis.

Here. I haven’t messed with the concept in years, but the idea has been in my head since 2003.

Good old Rumors! I still pester Chad to let me use my $PR to get some old shirts! HAHA!

Apologies for causing a stir - clearly I still don't comprehend what's allowed and what isn't lol.

Wonder how soon we will see an announcement regarding Hollywood's closure - and how it could impact how Orlando is scheduling things.

LOL It's not causing a stir. Just trying to keep the thread somewhat in check. The discussion is a great one to have WHEN we have better info and a confirmed line-up. Right now, we're speculating on a line-up that could change (or possibly not even happen) and everyone's expectation of the rumored houses is all different. Can't really discuss what's a sleeper hit when we don't even have any real info on anything except on what we THINK we know.

I disagree. Music zones have personally never really worked for me, Hellbilly and Killer Klowns were the weakest scarezones of their respective years because all in all, there wasn’t much to see and it mostly just relied on the music and photo ops. I’d imagine they’d do more stuff like Vanity Ball, since it’s a lot of minishows that they could have happen simultaneously to keep crowds dispersed plus actors being elevated and kept 6 feet away easier. I wouldn’t mind that since Vanity Ball was personally one of the best scarezones I’ve seen them do.
I believe your anti-music zone bias is showing. I would argue Hellbilly had the most going for it last year. But I would admit it was a weak scarezone year.

Lets not forget Zombieland and Vikings existed last year...

LOL It's not causing a stir. Just trying to keep the thread somewhat in check. The discussion is a great one to have WHEN we have better info and a confirmed line-up. Right now, we're speculating on a line-up that could change (or possibly not even happen) and everyone's expectation of the rumored houses is all different. Can't really discuss what's a sleeper hit when we don't even have any real info on anything except on what we THINK we know.
Unrelated to this thread, but you're an awesome mod, Brian :grin:

I'll sit on that one for awhile then, lol.

I believe your anti-music zone bias is showing. I would argue Hellbilly had the most going for it last year. But I would admit it was a weak scarezone year.

Lets not forget Zombieland and Vikings existed last year...
Ugh, Zombieland was such a letdown for me.

Yes!!! I’ve mentioned this before, but I think scarezones potentially turning into more atmospheric areas with maybe a few booholes and not many actors will work wonders for HHN. I would adore if it stayed that way, as things would just feel a much more immersive and scary. However, I feel like instagrammable zones are just more profitable to them, so who knows.

Also, this. Let’s not downplay the severity of the situation by putting quotation marks around crisis.
Quite the opposite.My point was to place emphasis of how crucial and critical it has been. I wasn't quoting anyone or any post. You're reading way too much into this, and misunderstood my intent of the point of emphasis. If I was downplaying it, i would surely have said that. I'm not one to mince words or play at being politically correct. . :thumbsup: :)....and I don't post drive by snarky comments like some do. Of course, not to insinuate that you're one of them. At least you said what you wanted, and I respect your concern for a covid problem that has turned the world upside down. I have the same concern. :)

Last edited:
I'll sit on that one for awhile then, lol.

Ugh, Zombieland was such a letdown for me.
Ditto, all scarezones were weak to me last year especially double tap. The few zombies I saw looked like tourists who didn’t get enough sleep. Vikings was the best of the 5 but it started raining when we went through Vanity Ball so I can’t give that a fair review.

Covid isn't a crisis? Come on now......You're reading an awful lot into italics made as a point to pay attention to a comment.

Quite the opposite.My point was to place emphasis of how crucial and critical it has been. I wasn't quoting anyone or any post. You're reading way too much into this, and misunderstood my intent of the point of emphasis. If I was downplaying it, i would surely have said that. I'm not one to mince words or play at being politically correct. . :thumbsup: :)....and I don't post drive by snarky comments like some do. Of course, not to insinuate that you're one of them. At least you said what you wanted, and I respect your concern for a covid problem that has turned the world upside down. I have the same concern. :)

If I may....

I think this is what you were going for...

*crisis*

Emphasis, yeah?

Reactions: Sledge
If I may....

I think this is what you were going for...

*crisis*

Emphasis, yeah?
same difference :lol: :)......and ...to move on..... I think it will be interesting to see what the USF HHN planners come up with considering the safety challenges, especially if there's new concepts. . They've proven to be a pretty talented bunch in the past.

Last edited:
same difference :lol: :)......and ...to move on..... I think it will be interesting to see what the USF HHN planners come up with considering the safety challenges, especially if there's new concepts. . They've proven to be a pretty talented bunch in the past.
I’m actually pretty excited to see what they come up with! It definitely won’t be a normal HHN by far!

Reactions: Mad Dog
I’m actually pretty excited to see what they come up with! It definitely won’t be a normal HHN by far!
:thumbsup: Me too. I'm not a hard core fan, but I have enjoyed the 7 or 8 days I've been there for a few HHN's. I'm one of the few that actually enjoys the entertainment and the good scare zones more than the houses.
So, my appetite is particularly whetted to see how this turns out. We loved Rocky Horror and missed having that type of show in the event.

Perhaps I missed anything more in depth about this....but do we know much information about the suspected icons house? Beyond Bloody Mary most likely not being in it due to copyright issues I haven’t really heard much about it. Any ideas on its story line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Book with our Travel Partners

Latest posts