Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
That's always the MSRP. The Blu-Ray will be $20 and 4K $25-30 on launch because retailers never sell movies at MSRP unless they're from a speciality label like Criterion.
I don't buy physical media anymore unless it's something not available on digital, which is becoming damned rare - even my white whale THE ARISTOCRATS is finally on digital - or specialty horror like Scream Factory. There's just no point anymore.

I don't buy physical media anymore unless it's something not available on digital, which is becoming damned rare - even my white whale THE ARISTOCRATS is finally on digital - or specialty horror like Scream Factory. There's just no point anymore.
The point is that you own physical media. If the internet goes out and I can't use any streaming services, I have the entire MCU and the every Star Wars movie on Blu-Ray if I want something to watch. I don't buy a lot of Blu-Ray's, but I buy things I like (for example I also have Tron: Legacy and Blade Runner 2049) and I know will have good extras.

The point is that you own physical media. If the internet goes out and I can't use any streaming services, I have the entire MCU and the every Star Wars movie on Blu-Ray if I want something to watch. I don't buy a lot of Blu-Ray's, but I buy things I like (for example I also have Tron: Legacy and Blade Runner 2049) and I know will have good extras.
If my internet goes out i can read a book until it comes back on. I've never been particularly swayed by that argument. My age may have something to do with that, I don't know.

Reactions: Legacy
If my internet goes out i can read a book until it comes back on. I've never been particularly swayed by that argument. My age may have something to do with that, I don't know.
It's not just about that though. There are many places in this country still where internet connection is very slow - too slow for streaming. If you live in a much more rural part of the country, than physical media makes sense still.

It's not just about that though. There are many places in this country still where internet connection is very slow - too slow for streaming. If you live in a much more rural part of the country, than physical media makes sense still.
I must not have been clear. There's no point FOR ME. I'm aware that there are demographic groups and regions of the country that live twenty years behind - this is why you can still pay sixty dollars a pop for wrestling payperviews when the WWE network is ten dollars a month. I just have no intention of ever living in such a place, or adopting a technophobe mindset as I age - I grew up in the early 80s, and I sincerely hope my parent's generation is the last to play the "I can't understand changing tech" game.

Physical media is still viable for studios even if sales have dwindled over the past decade. Black Friday and the holiday season always bring in good revenue for new releases and catalog titles (although obviously not this year), and there will always be a consumer base for physical releases even if/when digital services can match Blu-Ray's quality because the collectability of the medium still drives sales.

Physical media is still viable for studios even if sales have dwindled over the past decade. Black Friday and the holiday season always bring in good revenue for new releases and catalog titles (although obviously not this year), and there will always be a consumer base for physical releases even if/when digital services can match Blu-Ray's quality because the collectability of the medium still drives sales.
Yup, that's mostly why I buy is for the collectability factor. Like I said, I have every MCU film. I almost feel like I can't stop buying now that i'm in so deep lol (and I often get the Steelbook's, too).

Yup, that's mostly why I buy is for the collectability factor. Like I said, I have every MCU film. I almost feel like I can't stop buying now that i'm in so deep lol (and I often get the Steelbook's, too).
Do they still scratch as easily as they did when I got my Texas Chainsaw Massacre back in the day?

I prefer to own as well. If I ever decide to drop streamers to save money I have the films. (Plus I have a 3D TV and have all of the MCU movies that were released in 3D - Dr Strange is especially trippy)

I just put all my Blurays in a giant disc wallet.
Do you understand what a Steelbook is? Just curious as it sounds like you may be a bit confused.

This is what a steelbook is/looks like. There's normally multiple released around the world with different art. It's mostly for collectors and I don't buy a ton, but some of the art is just too cool on the steelbooks to pass up buying.
film_23836_4-jpg.345989

793317b1fe7f0154525371641c721ded.jpg

Do you understand what a Steelbook is? Just curious as it sounds like you may be a bit confused.

This is what a steelbook is/looks like. There's normally multiple released around the world with different art. It's mostly for collectors and I don't buy a ton, but some of the art is just too cool on the steelbooks to pass up buying.
film_23836_4-jpg.345989

793317b1fe7f0154525371641c721ded.jpg
Yes I know what a steelbook is. I actually have two Walt Disney Treasures Steelbooks (Mickey Mouse in Living Color and Tomorrowland). But I still put the DVDs in a case because it's convenient and it saves way more space than having a bunch of plastic cases you have to store around the house.

Reactions: Nick
Yes I know what a steelbook is. I actually have two Walt Disney Treasures Steelbooks (Mickey Mouse in Living Color and Tomorrowland). But I still put the DVDs in a case because it's convenient and it saves way more space than having a bunch of plastic cases you have to store around the house.
Those aren't quite steelbooks. Those are just metal cases with labels. These are painted and easily scratched. :)