Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Move the Conjuring to September and replace it with Wonder Woman. Simple.

They aren't seriously thinking about putting one of their marquee releases on a service with (relatively) low subscribership are they? Especially when people can pop in and out of the free trial?

Move the Conjuring to September and replace it with Wonder Woman. Simple.

They aren't seriously thinking about putting one of their marquee releases on a service with (relatively) low subscribership are they? Especially when people can pop in and out of the free trial?
I think they would probably remove the free trial and force people to subscribe. That would be the goal at that point - increasing subscribers for a service that has so far failed to launch (due to price point and a botched launch on Warner’s end).

Remember, when Disney put Hamilton on Disney+, they removed their free trial so you had to subscribe (the free trial has remained gone since then).

i maintain that the theaters have lost the upper hand. Within the next three years, day-and-date PVOD becomes the norm for all but the biggest blockbusters.

Yeah.

I think Cinemarks move cements that the proximity between theatrical and PVOD is about become a much quicker turnabout.

Guessing most non-blockbusters will be having deadlines around the 16 day mark, while blockbusters are proximate at 31 days.

I'm scared to, but I've been checking a local theatre for the last few weeks to see how busy they seem to be, and well, they freaking ARENT. From what I can tell, and I check regularly, there's maybe 50 patrons in there a day by far at max. During the week there's 10 or less patrons. I...... might go the movies this week. OMG I can't believe I said that!!! If truly no one is there, require masks, and again, there's no one there, am I getting excited thinking this is EXTREMELY low risk? Im a Covid freak so idk if this is worth it, been a tough few weeks for me and this would be such a nice escape. I may do it.

I'm scared to, but I've been checking a local theatre for the last few weeks to see how busy they seem to be, and well, they freaking ARENT. From what I can tell, and I check regularly, there's maybe 50 patrons in there a day by far at max. During the week there's 10 or less patrons. I...... might go the movies this week. OMG I can't believe I said that!!! If truly no one is there, require masks, and again, there's no one there, am I getting excited thinking this is EXTREMELY low risk? Im a Covid freak so idk if this is worth it, been a tough few weeks for me and this would be such a nice escape. I may do it.
I would avoid the Nick, their air circulation system is ancient.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee

I saw Casper on a Friday night a few weeks ago at a nearby theater. There were maybe 6 other people in total there. And everyone was well-spaced with only two people allowed per row for every two rows.

Many circulation system's actually were improved, but it’s tough to know were improved, but it’s tough to tell how many or which ones as it wasn’t a company mandate for anyone. I believe movie theaters in California and New York State were required to upgrade though.

Oh ya, I’m doing Cinemagic. I miss Nick tho :( was my Friday night indie film hot spot. Their popcorn prices were significantly better as well, and with less people out and about parking wouldn’t be an issue.

Hard to decide here, leaning towards just not going but my lord it’s tempting haha

Reactions: RevFreako
IMO, it would depend on distancing and your overall comfort level. When I saw Tenet back in September, I was anxious about returning to the theater when mask compliance past the front door isn't guaranteed. I waited a few weeks to see a late IMAX showing, and there were less than 10 people in the theater. 2-3 people weren't wearing masks, but I was at least 50 feet away from them. The group closest to me was 4-5 rows behind and wearing masks. I felt relatively comfortable for that showing but have no interest in returning to theaters until I'm vaccinated. If you end up going, you'd probably be fine.

Many circulation system's actually were improved, but it’s tough to know were improved, but it’s tough to tell how many or which ones as it wasn’t a company mandate for anyone. I believe movie theaters in California and New York State were required to upgrade though.
That was specific to a theater that would have been one of Cuppa's choices in Portland. It's a little four screener that hasn't been meaningfully upgraded in decades. Sometimes you can smell the exhaust if the parking garage over top is busy.

That was specific to a theater that would have been one of Cuppa's choices in Portland. It's a little four screener that hasn't been meaningfully upgraded in decades. Sometimes you can smell the exhaust if the parking garage over top is busy.

Hey Alexa, search: "Does carbon monoxide poisoning cure covid?"

In what is arguably a golden goose of Warner Brother's Pictures, they are going forward with releasing Wonder Woman 1984 on Day/Date for both Theatrical and HBOMax.

HBOMax subscribers will get Wonder Woman 1984 for free completely. With this in play, both WarnerMedia and The Walt Disney Company now have put two large major motion pictures, for DTC services (albeit with the former having limited theatrical runs)

Will be interesting seeing the theatre numbers for this, not that I expect much of anything. Personally I can’t wait for this! Christmas will be filled with Basketball and WW :)

In what is arguably a golden goose of Warner Brother's Pictures, they are going forward with releasing Wonder Woman 1984 on Day/Date for both Theatrical and HBOMax.

HBOMax subscribers will get Wonder Woman 1984 for free completely. With this in play, both WarnerMedia and The Walt Disney Company now have put two large major motion pictures, for DTC services (albeit with the former having limited theatrical runs)
I'm being proven right, announcement by announcement. This broke the seal.

Reactions: youhow2
I still remain skeptical that anything other than major box office success (on the order of $1 billion+ grosses) can justify a studio spending $200 million+ on event films. So unless folks are also thinking this is the end of big, splashy blockbusters, I'm unconvinced this will be the new paradigm. I just don't see how it could possibly make financial sense in a non-pandemic time period. And it will eventually be a non-pandemic time period again.

I still remain skeptical that anything other than major box office success (on the order of $1 billion+ grosses) can justify a studio spending $200 million+ on event films. So unless folks are also thinking this is the end of big, splashy blockbusters, I'm unconvinced this will be the new paradigm. I just don't see how it could possibly make financial sense in a non-pandemic time period. And it will eventually be a non-pandemic time period again.
Disney+ has said that by sometime around the mid-2020’s they expect their spending on content to be $10B. If they are spending that much on content (and also btw aren’t paying to license anything like Netflix, either), then I actually think streaming services are the natural new home for blockbusters. And the company will make more money.

John Campea ran a rough expenditure tally if Disney+ reaches Netflix level spending, subscribers, etc. except they’ll never have to spend the outrageous amount Netflix does on third party content and they probably won’t be producing as much “stuff”. Disney would use their budget to focus on high profile series and movies, and even if they stayed at their current $7 price (they won’t), they would be an incredibly profitable business, generating ~$7 BILLION per year (again, once they reach Netflix levels).

A $200M film will flop on PVOD, but it will do great on streaming. The movies would just be made for a different purpose now, which is subscribers.