Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 41 | Inside Universal Forums

Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be clear, I'm not advocating for "sacrifice people's lives for The Economy." I am pointing out the reality of the situation, as uncomfortable and unpleasant as it may be. Disneyhead already nailed it. We perform this sort of grim political calculus all the time. And obviously I would be in full support of a scenario where people were made whole in an unprecedented pandemic economic scenario, but they weren't, and they aren't about to be, which places us in this ominous situation. We all knew it was going to happen.

But I do object to the "too soon" idea. California flattened and reduced its curve - to the point of nearly bankrupting the state - but did not actually contain the virus. To attempt to do so without greater federal intervention would have been fruitless and catastrophic. Anyone claiming a country with the size and skepticism of the United States was going to be able to match South Korea or New Zealand's measures for handling this either aren't understanding the fundamental, insurmountable differences between the countries or are living in Fantasyland.
While I agree people at this point just don't care about people dying or simply ignoring it

We were never going to contain it but we saved thousands of lives, all that could be for nothing now. Protesters are about to get to the two week later period meaning they will get others sick, and then those people will spread it on the 4th of July weekend and so on.

I think it's too early if we want to save people but because our government could not find a way to get us to either snuff this thing out or give people enough money to live without a business/job until wave two is done, its the better choice for many but will kill thousands and I get it people need money but it comes at a high cost.

And for the record I am sickened and disgusted by anyone who thinks it's ok that more people die than need to because we need to open up! I can't believe money is more important than human life to some people.
We perform this sort of grim political calculus all the time.
@Fallow nailed it on this one.

Why do we have 60-70mph speed limits instead of 5mph, which would completely eliminate traffic fatalities.

“I’m sickened and disgusted by anyone who thinks it’s ok that more people die from traffic fatalities than need to because we need to have faster commerce and transit. I can’t believe money is more important than human life to some people.”

I don’t say that in a mocking way, btw. It’s just to show that policy decisions are not made in a vacuum and you must have nuance.

Disneyland is going to require reservations. This is going anger a lot of high level pass holders who will see their passes effectively turn into flex passes.
If they add Days to APs that should make it work out better. And sure the crowds will die down within a month.

Its why I'd avoid going this summer even if I could buy tickets wait until things settle down then go.

Also if a store like Ralphs has tickets/APs can you buy those or will they not be allowed to be sold yet?

Disneyland is going to require reservations. This is going anger a lot of high level pass holders who will see their passes effectively turn into flex passes.

I can see this happening too unfortunately. I find it difficult to find sympathy for anyone who shows up to a theme park during a pandemic and is upset that they don't have the same free reign as they did prior.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Just got back from a few days and I have to say it was odd being at my favorite place,
The parks as always were top notch, clean, beautiful. but I immediately notice/felt things were not the same. It wasn't the social distancing , masks, the energy was missing. I guess the lack of people just seem odd (it was dead). I enjoyed my time riding with very little to no waits but I missed the sounds of a park bustling with people having fun at every turn.
If your looking for a time to ride and ride now's the time. btw all the tms were very energetic and seem happy to be back.

I enjoyed my time riding with very little to no waits but I missed the sounds of a park bustling with people having fun at every turn.
Really good analysis and I didn’t think of that, but I fully agree.
You can’t hear anyone laughing (maybe the masks muffle and people are actually laughing?). You can’t see anyone smile. The TMs were over the top excited but the guests just seem hot and a bit miserable towards the afternoon.

I never pegged the lack of excitement being the missing thing, but I think you nailed it. I told my wife your comment and she agreed also- she said “it’s really fun but also not fun”.

@Fallow nailed it on this one.

Why do we have 60-70mph speed limits instead of 5mph, which would completely eliminate traffic fatalities.

“I’m sickened and disgusted by anyone who thinks it’s ok that more people die from traffic fatalities than need to because we need to have faster commerce and transit. I can’t believe money is more important than human life to some people.”

I don’t say that in a mocking way, btw. It’s just to show that policy decisions are not made in a vacuum and you must have nuance.
If the 70 mph speed killed people exponentially there would be a backlash

Just back from Seaworld, only Kraken and Mako were open so there was nothing much to do. Only rode Kraken (twice) as there was no wait. Was going to wait for Mako, but I did not feel like waiting in the heat.

Temperature check and security was ok, but tunstiles was rather chaotic.
Wait, those two rides were the ONLY things open ride wise?

Just back from Seaworld, only Kraken and Mako were open so there was nothing much to do. Only rode Kraken (twice) as there was no wait. Was going to wait for Mako, but I did not feel like waiting in the heat.

Temperature check and security was ok, but tunstiles was rather chaotic.
So wait, the only two things to do in the park were Mako and Kraken or those were the only coasters running?

Edit: forgot to hit send and got beaten to the punch :lol:

You people are crazy, I went to the parks weeks after 9/11 and rode Big Thunder Mountain 20 times because it had not line.
An empty park is alwaysssss the best time. My best memories are not waiting 3 hours for Indy or Cars

You people are crazy, I went to the parks weeks after 9/11 and rode Big Thunder Mountain 20 times because it had not line.
An empty park is alwaysssss the best time. My best memories are not waiting 3 hours for Indy or Cars
Same. My best memories are empty parks pre-hurricane.

Having an empty VB and Diagonal Alley along with riding it out at the contemporary during Irma was my favorite experience at the parks ever.

This is very different and it’s hard to pin down exactly why.

Status
Not open for further replies.