Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 40 | Inside Universal Forums

Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: Clive and Mad Dog
Just now, from the Washington Post on the Federal Reserve's state of the economy statements today..."Federal Reserve leaders predict the U.S. unemployment will fall to 9.3% by the end of this year and 6.5% by the end of 2021, signaling confidence the economy will begin to recover in coming months.....The Central Bank is anticipating a strong turnaround next year...the median estimate for the economy is to shrink this year by 6.5% and then grow in 2021 by 5%."

Reactions: Andysol
Here was the final question on the Exit survey for the trip that was very interesting. It was the only one I thought to take a picture of. Not a fan of the black & white questions, but I understand why they asked it so simply. For example, the last question: It was more that I have no concern of catching or spreading the virus, not that I think we should get back to regular activities. But those are the choices. Im guessing most who came weighed their votes similar to me here (if not more extreme).

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 3.10.22 PM.png

The two most interesting questions (outside of this one) were:
- "we understand that you likely removed your mask at times. Outside of food and drink, when did you remove it" and they had "talking to team member", "Too hot/uncomfortable", "3D attractions", "Fast moving attractions", etc.

- "What was your primary purpose of the visit" and some possible answers outside of the normal favorite ride, new ride, new restaurant were "Get out of the house" and "Experience the re-opening" - both of which I selected (pick 3).

With new ticket sales, annual passes, and annual pass **renewals** temporarily suspended...

...very curious to see how they manage this. Say, for sake of argument (and because it's my situation), I have a Signature Annual Pass I paid in full. It had about 30 days left on it before it expired. I am not currently able to renew it; should it lapse, beyond my control, I would lose some grandfathered perks, including complimentary Photopass. I am also now not able to use the full benefits of the pass, including unlimited entry on any day outside the small blackout window at the end of the year. This means that I'll probably only get to use it one, maybe two, instances before my pass expires thanks to new terms beyond on my control - that's to say nothing of my partner, who would need to schedule her own reservation on her lower-tiered Flex Pass.

I'm very, very curious, but also very worried it's going to be a disaster.

Reactions: SeventyOne
With new ticket sales, annual passes, and annual pass **renewals** temporarily suspended...

...very curious to see how they manage this. Say, for sake of argument (and because it's my situation), I have a Signature Annual Pass I paid in full. It had about 30 days left on it before it expired. I am not currently able to renew it; should it lapse, beyond my control, I would lose some grandfathered perks, including complimentary Photopass. I am also now not able to use the full benefits of the pass, including unlimited entry on any day outside the small blackout window at the end of the year. This means that I'll probably only get to use it one, maybe two, instances before my pass expires thanks to new terms beyond on my control - that's to say nothing of my partner, who would need to schedule her own reservation on her lower-tiered Flex Pass.

Interesting you bring that up because that is my situation as well. I had a Signature (with the Photopass) and it expired about a month into the closure.

Reactions: Yabbadabba Doh
I wonder how the Haunted Mansion is going to operate.

I believe it is still undergoing refurbishment but maybe it will be ready by July. I suppose aside from limiting groups they could have Cast Members at the exit hop on and sanitize the previously occupied Doombuggies as they go backstage before they return to the loading area?

I believe it is still undergoing refurbishment but maybe it will be ready by July. I suppose aside from limiting groups they could have Cast Members at the exit hop on and sanitize the previously occupied Doombuggies as they go backstage before they return to the loading area?

I was thinking more about the elevators but that's also a good point.

Probably giving them the benefit of the doubt, but they're likely having to dedicate all their effort over the next six weeks into extending passes that already exist since they didn't actually expire even though they expired in the system. Let's be honest, if you're showing up at Disney with money, they're going to find a way to take it eventually.

And ticket codes never expire so they should always be able to get you back to where you were. Like... someone could sell you a Pleasure Island ticket today if they knew how to get to it.

Probably giving them the benefit of the doubt, but they're likely having to dedicate all their effort over the next six weeks into extending passes that already exist since they didn't actually expire even though they expired in the system. Let's be honest, if you're showing up at Disney with money, they're going to find a way to take it eventually.

And ticket codes never expire so they should always be able to get you back to where you were. Like... someone could sell you a Pleasure Island ticket today if they knew how to get to it.

Yup, I managed to convert a 2008 never expiring ticket onto the Disney app in 2018. They can backtrack everything.

The California parks are opening up wayyyyy too soon. We’re diving right into a second wave and LA County specifically is at risk of running out of beds within the next few weeks. We can’t just pretend this is over, it doesn’t work like that.

The California parks are opening up wayyyyy too soon. We’re diving right into a second wave and LA County specifically is at risk of running out of beds within the next few weeks. We can’t just pretend this is over, it doesn’t work like that.
Sure we can. Yeah, people are gonna die. It is the American way. We put up with 36K gun deaths a year so inadequately equipped men can feel like Rambo.

There isn't really a "too soon," though. Florida will eventually hit our numbers - possibly sooner than we think. California did a stricter-than-most lockdown and we still failed containment, and the odds of returning to a total shutdown - an incredibly unpopular policy at this point that may prove useless as people openly defy regulations. Forcing another business shutdown would limit spread, of course, at the expense of the city and state ever really economically recovering (to say nothing of the individual livelihoods being destroyed, especially with Republicans outright saying they will not support continued additional unemployment assistance). Those in the state will also probably flee to another state with more lenient restrictions, potentially seeding further outbreaks.

In other words, the priorities need to be emphasizing mask use and policies other than lockdowns, because I don't think we can or will go back.

There isn't really a "too soon," though. Florida will eventually hit our numbers - possibly sooner than we think. California did a stricter-than-most lockdown and we still failed containment, and the odds of returning to a total shutdown - an incredibly unpopular policy at this point that may prove useless as people openly defy regulations. Forcing another business shutdown would limit spread, of course, at the expense of the city and state ever really economically recovering (to say nothing of the individual livelihoods being destroyed, especially with Republicans outright saying they will not support continued additional unemployment assistance). Those in the state will also probably flee to another state with more lenient restrictions, potentially seeding further outbreaks.

In other words, the priorities need to be emphasizing mask use and policies other than lockdowns, because I don't think we can or will go back.
Yeah California's lockdown worked actually. It's per capita rate of infections is much lower then some of the hard hit states. A densely populated area like LA or San Francisco would have been seeing New York levels of infections and deaths if they didn't lockdown they way they did. To say anything otherwise just isn't the truth.

And for the record I am sickened and disgusted by anyone who thinks it's ok that more people die than need to because we need to open up! I can't believe money is more important than human life to some people.

But this isn't the right thread or forum to discuss this further.

Yeah California's lockdown worked actually. It's per capita rate of infections is much lower then some of the hard hit states. A densely populated area like LA or San Francisco would have been seeing New York levels of infections and deaths if they didn't lockdown they way they did. To say anything otherwise just isn't the truth.

And for the record I am sickened and disgusted by anyone who thinks it's ok that more people die than need to because we need to open up! I can't believe money is more important than human life to some people.

But this isn't the right thread or forum to discuss this further.

To be clear, I'm not advocating for "sacrifice people's lives for The Economy." I am pointing out the reality of the situation, as uncomfortable and unpleasant as it may be. Disneyhead already nailed it. We perform this sort of grim political calculus all the time. And obviously I would be in full support of a scenario where people were made whole in an unprecedented pandemic economic scenario, but they weren't, and they aren't about to be, which places us in this ominous situation. We all knew it was going to happen.

But I do object to the "too soon" idea. California flattened and reduced its curve - to the point of nearly bankrupting the state - but did not actually contain the virus. To attempt to do so without greater federal intervention would have been fruitless and catastrophic. Anyone claiming a country with the size and skepticism of the United States was going to be able to match South Korea or New Zealand's measures for handling this either aren't understanding the fundamental, insurmountable differences between the countries or are living in Fantasyland.

Status
Not open for further replies.