Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 45 | Inside Universal Forums

Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know businesses have to make money and people are getting restless, but a theme park simply doesn’t need to be open right now and I personally think they’re all rushing back open bc of the pent-up demand, but the problem is we’re Diving back into the deep end of this thing with another big wave hitting us now.

The protests are dangerous, but at least they are there for a purpose worth fighting for.

Going to a theme park, a mall, a movie theater, a restaurant, a basketball tournament, etc, etc. NONE of that is for any reason except for your enjoyment and the benefit of corporations while putting front line workers at risk, instead of the government putting together a monetary program so that these front line workers don’t need to go back to work yet and companies can get some relief as well.

I don’t really want to hear again that we need to be in business. This is a pandemic and we are in uncharted waters. Weshould do what America has always done, which is FIGURE IT OUT. We’ve always found new solutions to our problems. People shouldn’t be forced to go to work during these times because of corporate greed.
Life is about calculated risk...you have a higher chance of dying while you drive to work then getting the virus.

I'm not trying to downplay its bad, but if Theme Parks want to open, make people wear mask, clean constantly and force social distancing then I'm all for it.
The CA parks won't be perfect but I bet will be A LOT better with the rules, everytime I go to any store everyone has a mask on. I know news reports have the one Karen who doesn't want to do it but in CA its common practice that if you want to go anywhere you wear a mask and people are doing it.

So until I see Disney/Universal not trying to open safely I won't oppose to them giving the people what they want and allowing people to work.

Life is about calculated risk...you have a higher chance of dying while you drive to work then getting the virus.

I'm not trying to downplay its bad, but if Theme Parks want to open, make people wear mask, clean constantly and force social distancing then I'm all for it.
The CA parks won't be perfect but I bet will be A LOT better with the rules, everytime I go to any store everyone has a mask on. I know news reports have the one Karen who doesn't want to do it but in CA its common practice that if you want to go anywhere you wear a mask and people are doing it.

So until I see Disney/Universal not trying to open safely I won't oppose to them giving the people what they want and allowing people to work.
You live in California. I live in Florida and gear up for combat every time I go into my closest Wal-Mart, Publix, or Target, because NONE require masks and maybe 50% wear masks and despite cases rising, mask usage is dropping. Things are loony down here.

I do think that HKDL reopening is probably the safest out of all the reopenings. It closed the earliest I think (January 26th) and is just reopening on this coming Thursday. Hong Kong didn't have it bad at all either. They just played it safe. If Any Disney Majority operated park had these COVID numbers where they are located, the park would've never closed.

If anyone is planning on going to a park this year, it is may be smart to go now because cases will most likely be much higher in the fall.

You live in California. I live in Florida and gear up for combat every time I go into my closest Wal-Mart, Publix, or Target, because NONE require masks and maybe 50% wear masks and despite cases rising, mask usage is dropping. Things are loony down here.

I do think that HKDL reopening is probably the safest out of all the reopenings. It closed the earliest I think (January 26th) and is just reopening on this coming Thursday. Hong Kong didn't have it bad at all either. They just played it safe. If Any Disney Majority operated park had these COVID numbers where they are located, the park would've never closed.

Best bet, then is to not go then until the theme parks near you take it more serious (though from video's I've seen all but Sea World is)

But if I went to Hollwood and people were breaking the rules too much, I'd do to city hall and tell them I won't be back until they get better training but for now will give them the benefit of the doubt they will do the best job they can.
Until I see them not trying, I think that unless the government is going to get involved I don't see how they can just stay closed.

Best bet, then is to not go then until the theme parks near you take it more serious (though from video's I've seen all but Sea World is)

But if I went to Hollwood and people were breaking the rules too much, I'd do to city hall and tell them I won't be back until they get better training but for now will give them the benefit of the doubt they will do the best job they can.
I didn't say the theme parks aren't taking it seriously. From what i've seen about Universal, they are (I haven't been) and Disney Springs (i've been once) is good.

But I mean, I wasn't talking about the theme parks. I was responding to you talking about grocery stores. Grocery stores here are the wild wild west in terms of mask usage. I try to get in and out as quick as possible.

I didn't say the theme parks aren't taking it seriously. From what i've seen about Universal, they are (I haven't been) and Disney Springs (i've been once) is good.

But I mean, I wasn't talking about the theme parks. I was responding to you talking about grocery stores. Grocery stores here are the wild wild west in terms of mask usage. I try to get in and out as quick as possible.
Well since we don't have theme parks open here yet the only thing I can compare them to is that for my state and hope Theme Parks force you to have masks at all time.

I was just replying to your first post saying you think theme parks were opening too soon, but I just don't know when they would open without the Government help and from what I've heard the Republicans are kinda done with handing out money.
We might see the tax right off's but those are different from what theme parks would need to stay closed for the rest of the year.

As long as the parks are enforcing rules, I'm all for them reopening and letting those who want to go go.

Not everyone will be smart but you can't keep everything closed because of idiots. Today I was at the beach with friends, we were all 6 feet apart another group came to the beach and was taking pictures and the life guard told them to stop.
Should beaches be closed because of them? To me its, no at least

This is all anecdotal evidence, but I am also in California and not far from Disneyland. Things here are progressively getting worse in regards to mask wearing, especially since this weekend's "re-opening". I make a grocery run to the same store about once a week and just since that announcement the amount of people wearing masks had gone down significantly. Being that case rates just had an all time high here in Orange County on Sunday (with over 1500 new cases in Anaheim alone), the thought of theme parks opening in the next 3-4 weeks is disconcerting.

I am not comparing a grocery store to a theme park, but that is the state of things how I've seen it recently. I don't know what the answer is nor am I claiming to know, but I think opening theme parks right after a large case spike is not the way to go.

Source:

Well since we don't have theme parks open here yet the only thing I can compare them to is that for my state and hope Theme Parks force you to have masks at all time.

I was just replying to your first post saying you think theme parks were opening too soon, but I just don't know when they would open without the Government help and from what I've heard the Republicans are kinda done with handing out money.
We might see the tax right off's but those are different from what theme parks would need to stay closed for the rest of the year.

As long as the parks are enforcing rules, I'm all for them reopening and letting those who want to go go.

Not everyone will be smart but you can't keep everything closed because of idiots. Today I was at the beach with friends, we were all 6 feet apart another group came to the beach and was taking pictures and the life guard told them to stop.
Should beaches be closed because of them? To me its, no at least
I actually think beaches are safer than theme parks as long as you aren't partying together with some giant group.

It's also not about the people who want to go, it's about the people who are forced to work there. Wanna know why I might have a little bit of thoughts on this? Sure, places like Universal and Disney have procedures in place, but I have two friends from the parks who have gotten COVID since the parks have reopened and an friend of a friend that works at a recently reopened hotel has just got COVID. Now I know a lot of people that work at the parks, so I was probably bound to know someone get it eventually, but these people were forced back into unsafe working conditions. I don't say that as in these parks aren't trying, but it's out there and you can't stop it just by doing some extra cleaning and procedures.

Idk what the answers are. I just know that it's not really healthy (mentally or physically) for people to basically be forced into going back simply because they have no choice due to their landlord basically being on the verge of evicting them.

I actually think beaches are safer than theme parks as long as you aren't partying together with some giant group.

It's also not about the people who want to go, it's about the people who are forced to work there. Wanna know why I might have a little bit of thoughts on this? Sure, places like Universal and Disney have procedures in place, but I have two friends from the parks who have gotten COVID since the parks have reopened and an friend of a friend that works at a recently reopened hotel has just got COVID. Now I know a lot of people that work at the parks, so I was probably bound to know someone get it eventually, but these people were forced back into unsafe working conditions. I don't say that as in these parks aren't trying, but it's out there and you can't stop it just by doing some extra cleaning and procedures.
Yep. The bold is my biggest issue with it. I've heard of bare minimum 4 TMs getting it since reopening. It's a mess and I feel incredibly bad for all of my TM friends right now.

To be fair, just because they work at a certain place, doesn't mean that's where they got it.

I'm not saying that they didn't get it from working at the parks; but correlation does not necessarily get you causation.

Reactions: SeventyOne
To be fair, just because they work at a certain place, doesn't mean that's where they got it.

I'm not saying that they didn't get it from working at the parks; but correlation does not necessarily get you causation.
Of the 4 I've heard of, 3 are from the same venue. Would be pretty wild if they all got it from outside of the park given that :lol:

• Wow
Reactions: Frogki and Teebin
Of the 4 I've heard of, 3 are from the same venue. Would be pretty wild if they all got it from outside of the park given that :lol:

I'm just saying, it's something to keep in mind. Things can very quickly go from "a few people that work at XXXX have tested positive" to "OMFG XXXX is a new hotspot! Everyone working there is in danger"

I'm just saying, it's something to keep in mind. Things can very quickly go from "a few people that work at XXXX have tested positive" to "OMFG XXXX is a new hotspot! Everyone working there is in danger"
Oh, absolutely. I'd be a bit more skeptical if it wasn't such a specific example and I'm not even saying the venue is dangerous, but it's a thing that TMs are unfortunately dealing with on top of being short-staffed and working long hours currently. I just don't see the benefit of heading out there right now personally.

Reactions: Clive
I don’t really want to hear again that we need to be in business. This is a pandemic and we are in uncharted waters. Weshould do what America has always done, which is FIGURE IT OUT. We’ve always found new solutions to our problems. People shouldn’t be forced to go to work during these times because of corporate greed.
If we were talking about robots, I’d 100% agree with you. But we’re talking about human beings. And human beings need a purpose. Sitting at home collecting a government check for an undefined amount of time can be absolutely crushing.

And again- as has been my concern from the very beginning and something I’ve been incredibly consistent on. I’m not worried about Americans nearly as much as the developing countries.

Then it sounds like we need to shut down grocery stores for public use and force everyone to get grocery delivery.
Because if we had two alternatives:
1) parks open but grocery stores closed to public
Or
2) parks closed but grocery stores open as the “wild Wild West”, as you’ve described it.

Sounds like 1 is a lot safer. So instead of pushing for closing theme parks, maybe you/we should push for closing grocery stores.

Then it sounds like we need to shut down grocery stores for public use and force everyone to get grocery delivery.
Because if we had two alternatives:
1) parks open but grocery stores closed to public
Or
2) parks closed but grocery stores open as the “wild Wild West”, as you’ve described it.

Sounds like 1 is a lot safer. So instead of pushing for closing theme parks, maybe you/we should push for closing grocery stores.

Or we could push for everyone to take common sense precautions and make masks mandatory like certain chains are doing. I personally haven't gone to a store except for Costco since February simply due to their mask requirement.

Or we could push for everyone to take common sense precautions and make masks mandatory like certain chains are doing. I personally haven't gone to a store except for Costco since February simply due to their mask requirement.
I agree to an extent, but I’m not a fan of telling private business what to do. The common sense should also come from us, like you’ve done. Vote with your dollar, as it were. And specifically in yours and @Nick s case.

Someone in a rural area with one grocery store might not have the option, but in all the metro areas, there are plenty. So support those that make it mandatory and then you won’t feel like you’re walking into a war zone. Quite simple, really.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I agree to an extent. The common sense should also come from you, like you’ve done. Specifically in yours and @Nick s cases.

Someone in a rural area with one grocery store might not have the option, but in all the metro areas there are plenty. So support those that make it mandatory and then you won’t feel like you’re walking into a war zone. Quite simple, really.

That works for me because I live near a Costco, but there's not a lot of stores that are enforcing masks, at least down here in Houston. HEB, Kroger, Joe V's, Randalls, and FoodTown are all not enforcing masks, which are the main places that people down here get groceries. It's not just rural areas that have these problems, and it shouldn't be a question of having the privilege to afford a Costco membership or personal shopper fees to safely get groceries.

Social responsibility is a social responsibility. I find it very disheartening that we've reached a point where the "inconvenience" of wearing even a bandana to the store outweighs the health of the general public.

Last edited:
That works for me because I live near a Costco, but there's not a lot of stores that are enforcing masks, at least down here in Houston. HEB, Kroger, Joe V's, Randalls, and FoodTown are all not enforcing masks, which are the main places that people down here get groceries. It's not just rural areas that have these problems, and it shouldn't be a question of having the privilege to afford a Costco membership or personal shopper fees to safely get groceries.

Social responsibility is a social responsibility. I find it very disheartening that we've reached a point where the "inconvenience" of wearing even a bandana to the store outweighs the health of the general public.
I think you’re misunderstanding me.

I believe everyone should wear a mask. I don’t believe it should be forced legislation.

But we’re on the wrong thread :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.