Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 56 | Inside Universal Forums

Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On top of everything @ThemeParks4Life stated, it's also important to remember that they're pretty much limited to US travelers only for the foreseeable future which drastically cuts back on their attendance. Even then, NY, NJ, and Conn. are all requiring travelers coming from FL to quarantine for 2 weeks upon returning which will further discourage people from visiting.

As of now, the US isn't allowing anyone from China, Iran, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City, UK, Ireland, or Brazil into the country.

And on the inverse of things, the EU just specified that they will continue to bar travellers from the US for the time being as it is too risky.

Add on top that most visitors right now are probably AP holders who won't be big spenders.

Add on top that most visitors right now are probably AP holders who won't be big spenders.
I've only ever had an annual pass to Disneyland as a child in the cheaper 2000s, but are AP holders usually not the biggest spenders at theme parks? I thought they would have spent just as much.

I've only ever had an annual pass to Disneyland as a child in the cheaper 2000s, but are AP holders usually not the biggest spenders at theme parks? I thought they would have spent just as much.
Food is the primary area passholders spend money on. Tourists are much likelier to buy merchandise and eat 2-3 full meals during the day whereas APs will usually have a single meal due to less time spent at the parks, and there are still plenty of APs who don't drop a dime on some visits.

There’s two ways to look at it. Over a year period, APs will probably spend more but tourists will be paying a higher ticket value per visit plus all the merchandise and food that goes with it. Depending on how far the AP holders are travelling, it could see a decline in hotel stays or shorter stays for those who do.

APs also are a huge drag on your admission revenue per cap - 10 entries on a $300 pass is $30, whereas a one-day park hopper is $174.

The biggest forecasting challenge right now is that two big markets for Orlando parks at certain times of the year - UK and South America - are currently registering zeros across the board. If this were a normal economic downturn, you’d still have indicators that would at least let you forecast a bit. The biggest question marks around foreign travel right now are from government regulation (bans) and the virus so any sort of forecast is just a worthless guess that may be right, wrong, or somewhere in between.

That’s one upside Disney has with its reservation system - they’re actually accruing tangible, non-survey data about the future: when people are planning to come, from where, and for how long.

Last edited:
APs also are a huge drag on your admission revenue per cap - 10 entries on a $300 pass is $30, whereas a one-day park hopper is $174.

The biggest forecasting challenge right now is that two big markets for Orlando parks at certain times of the year - UK and South America - are currently registering zeros across the board. If this were a normal economic downturn, you’d still have indicators that would at least let you forecast a bit. The biggest question marks around foreign travel right now are from government regulation (bans) and the virus so any sort of forecast is just a worthless guess that may be right, wrong, or somewhere in between.

That’s one upside Disney has with its reservation system - they’re actually accruing tangible, non-survey data about the future: when people are planning to come, from where, and for how long.

Universal will probably get some spin off from Disney not being able to accommodate all the people that want to visit in the early days.

I still think that Universal are going to come out of this better than Disney and SeaWorld. It seems like a lot of Disney fans have taken the plunge to try Universal recently and have a new found love and respect for the resort.

The whole people from NY/NJ/CT quarantine has no teeth. There's no way to enforce it since there's no way to tell where someone went technically. I think especially once Disney re-opens we'll see Universal's attendance go up. Universal boosts Disney attendance and Disney boosts Universal's. People come here for an Orlando vacation most of the time now, not just one or the other. I think even with the current surge in cases people will come.

we let our AP's expire last year, maybe two years now (UNI), last time at Disney was around the last day of Snow Whites Scary Adventure. Not sure when we will go to a park. I do hope to go to Disney Springs soon. I will stay outside (I hope) when my wife decides to enter stores.

I imagine the US is sort of moving to RV vacations for the time being, so who really knows what Disney, UNI, et all can pull to FL for a little while, sounds like foreign travel shall bypass FL at least this year (I think I once read Orlando was 20% international originated flights). Not everyone is employed now, things ripple as folks lose work.

Tourism could be rough for a little while.

But today, with the heat and the dust, I cut my morning walk way short. I have finally been enjoying getting outside more...and now just another delay.

Last edited:
I think this is the advantage Hollywood/SoCal has over Orlando... once our parks are open, there won't be much shortage of locals visiting the parks. Especially Disneyland, with particularity voracious and numerous passholders. Magic Mountain and Knott's both have cheap APs, so people will definitely go, and USH drastically lowered the price of their Premium. What was once a problem (too many local APs) is now, strangely, going to be their solution.

With lowered capacities, I don't think there's going to any problem filling up the parks, though it will likely still be pretty bad for hotels.

I think this is the advantage Hollywood/SoCal has over Orlando... once our parks are open, there won't be much shortage of locals visiting the parks. Especially Disneyland, with particularity voracious and numerous passholders. Magic Mountain and Knott's both have cheap APs, so people will definitely go, and USH drastically lowered the price of their Premium. What was once a problem (too many local APs) is now, strangely, going to be their solution.

With lowered capacities, I don't think there's going to any problem filling up the parks, though it will likely still be pretty bad for hotels.
Also as an AP with some extra money from not going to the parks for months and less things to spend money on. I for Sure am ready to drop some money in Universal if they get some cool themed masks I could buy upwards to 5+ kinda masks if they give us some cool options (Harry Potter, Jurassic, Transformers etc)
Along with if Horror Nights is open buying some things like T shirts and Desserts. I know some will say it's not enough but I'm going to at least try to support them when I visit in hopes it in a small way helps.

Antojito's becomes the first of Universal Citywalk - Hollywood's First Party Dining operations, to open!

EDIT: Eric Garcetti has officially come out in that they are halting the process of reopening movie theaters, and that of the theme parks, due to the recent spikes of cases.

Last edited:
How are the Universal Resorts handling mask wearing on the outside grounds of hotels? Can one walk the Hard Rock waterfront trails or the gardens of the other resorts without a mask on constantly?

Status
Not open for further replies.